“Very good!”

citizenM Schiphol Airport
Ranked #2 of 10 Hotels in Schiphol
Reviewed April 28, 2013

A very nice, modern hotel just 3-4min walk from the airport. Rooms are an experience by themselves. Very modern : ). Huge bed and nice sleep. Breakfast was a bit narrow, but enough, nothing fancy. Very helpful staff. Go there!

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled on business
Write a ReviewReviews (5,072)

Reviewed April 28, 2013

Excellent location, just about 200m from Schiphol airport via a covered path. Very easy check in and check out on a computer terminal, no waiting , no Q. Happy people all around , eager to help, more like a youth hostel look. However its a modern hotel nonetheless. Lobby is very cosy, ample seating area, and free computers with internet, wifi all over but sometimes slow. No password, no asking for voucher codes.Has a small bar near the lobby with eating facilities. Limited food choices but decent. Room, like from a spaceship, circular glass door shower, similar toilet, everything else is on touch remote. Small size Tv with free movies and BBC channels. All lights get completely shut off or on with a touch remote; large window with blinds and a shutter all of which close with remote. All of this is very convenient. The bed and the linen is the best part, very comfortable. There is a catch- no shelf space for keeping clothes, few hangers to hang some but no shelf space. I guess the hotel caters for 1-2 nights stay. This is mainly for a single traveller and I think couples will not be able to stay without frequently bumping into each other or with the room contents.I would stay here by myself again but not for more than two nights.

Room Tip: Higher floor may be better but wifi may not be as good
Reviewed April 27, 2013

CitizenM is everything but a traditional hotel.
Staff is friendly, cool and helpful. Young ambassadors always there 24/7 to help, bake warm croissants or serve a strong espresso.
Anyone looking for a relaxed and top notch experience, try citizenM

Room Tip: All rooms are identical, no upgrade, downgrade, better or worse view. Fair and same service to all.
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed April 27, 2013

Do you enjoy watching other people in the shower? Do you enjoy watching and hearing other people on the toilet? If the answer to these questions is yes then this is the 'hotel' for you (I would also suggest therapy). The room, as described by others, contains two glass cylinders, one a shower and the other holding a toilet. The glass walls are not opaque. The shower has transparent walls and the toilet has translucent walls (but with backlighting they are nearly completely transparent). The large, comfortable bed fully occupies one end of the room--from wall to wall. With more that one person it is difficult to get into or out of the bed.

The high tech controls are 'cute' if that sort of thing impresses you. They would be even better if they worked. At first our TV did not work properly. When the employee fixed it our Wifi stopped working. When they moved us to another room our new keys did not work. Then they lost the ability to make any room keys for several hours so people had to be let into their rooms with passkeys by members of staff.

Breakfast was all pre-packaged. Surprisingly, the bottled orange juice was quite good. The rest was poor at best.

We wouldn't put a dog in this 'hotel' unless we really disliked the dog.

Room Tip: Select another hotel at the airport.
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank peter t

Hi "peter t",

I feel disappointed you would not stay here again but I understand your comments and acknowledge some of your frustrations. We are not perfect, but we learn, work and improve our service and offerings.

Some of the observations you pointed out, as regards the moodpad and technology, refers to an issue we had in the past week and only able to solve after your stay. I understand that everything you need in a hotel is getting to your room and have a flawless experience.

Our rooms were created in our style and décor and realise it doesn't appeal to everyone, we advertise as such with pictures, information and respect your preferences. But on the other hand I'm really sorry that we were not able to provide you the full citizenM experience.

All the best,

Reviewed April 26, 2013

My wife and I were not happy with this hotel. The room is only as wide as a king size bed. Your bed is also in the bath room. The food service is less than the average 7-11. This is only fit for a single business traveler. Although your company owes you more.

Room Tip: The good room is not here.
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Jay307

Hi "Jay307",

citizenM was created on our own style and décor, advertised as such with pictures and information, we clearly understand it doesn't satisfy everyone. We believe in a fresh new hotel experience focussing on the needs of mobile travellers, those who are often on the road for leisure or business.

All rooms are identical offering an XL king-size bed covered with luxurious Frette linen, a power rain shower, Skype phone rates, free wi-fi, free movies on demand at affordable rates. Just like a luxurious private jet or yacht cabin, you won't find here a huge outdated room because we believe there is enough out there with this offering. The canteenM downstairs is an option for a quick snack and drink, offering quality food and beverage available 24/7.

I still feel sorry that your expectations were not met here but I wish you all the best and great experiences.

Reviewed April 24, 2013

My first stay in a CitizenM hotel and I must say it is everything a hotel should be.
Quick check-in and check-out.
Great bed and duvet
Great shower
Great temp control
Quick breakfast with fresh orange juice and coffee

Reviewed April 23, 2013

The modern design, friendly and very helpful service, cleanliness and close proximity to Schiphol airport make Citizen M a great hotel. However, one significant issue truly impacted upon my enjoyment.

Everything in the room is controlled by a remote - this includes controlling the room lights, opening the venetian blinds, choosing TV channels/volume, the alarm clock etc...basically everything. How wonderful is this technology when it works. My room remote had the unfortunate habit of rebooting every 10-15 minutes thereby rendering me helpless in my room as it takes the remote another 15 minutes to finish rebooting.

The TV would remain fixed on a channel, volume too loud/quiet, lights too dim and the best of all was in the morning when I had set the alarm for 6.30am had it go off at 7.30am whereupon the remote rebooted. The alarm takes control of the TV and I was unable to shut it down for the rest of my stay that morning until I checked out. And yes, turning the TV off does not help as it comes back on again....

Fix your room remotes and I would it give 4.5 out of 5

Hi "jaffa888",

There is no excuse about the issues you experienced, I feel sorry we let you down. I hope you understand that sometimes things do not work as expected but as well that you trust we acted on it preventing from happening again. If you feel we deserve the chance, please write me an email at citizendiego@citizenm.com while planning a next visit to Amsterdam, I will love having the opportunity to show you that citizenM can offer a better experience than what you saw on your previous visit.

All the best,
citizenDiego

Also consider these accommodations in or near Schiphol
Sheraton Amsterdam Airport Hotel and Conference Center
Hilton Amsterdam Airport Schiphol
Ibis Budget Amsterdam Airport
Hotel Ibis Schiphol Amsterdam Airport
Dorint Airport Hotel Amsterdam
NH Amsterdam Schiphol Airport

Been to citizenM Schiphol Airport? Share your experiences!