“Moresby Explorers”

Gwaii Haanas National Park
Reviewed August 3, 2013

I did the day trip to Louise Island and Skedans with Moresby Explorers. A wonderful experience. Very knowledgable guide, excellent snacks and lunch. Good value!

2  Thank Gina C
"unesco site"
"special place"
"an adventure"

Reviewed July 26, 2013

We booked the 4-day boat trip; be sure to book well in advance as the groups are small and while there are several boats running, spots do understandably sell out fast for prime time. We looked at other guided options but felt Moresby gave us the most varied experience and covered the most territory in a 4-day period. Other alternative such as 10-14 day sailing tours offered by others were very tempting but just did not fit our schedule.

We started out from Sandspit where we stayed over night at the very respectable Inn at Sandpit. We were picked up the next morning by Bryan, our amazing guide for the next 4-days. Be sure to get breakfast in before you leave because the next opportunity to eat won't be for a while!

In all our group totalled 7, including our guide. After a scenic but bumpy hour or so ride over logging roads we ended at Moresby base, where we unloaded our gear, listened to the overview from Bryan as to what we would be up to, then geared up in the rain suits, life jackets etc. Waiting on land you may well feel like you are baking in your rubber suit but as soon as you hit the water you feel the cool breeze and be glad you followed the advise on the website and wore layers.

The day was glorious, perfect conditions with brilliant sunshine and a cool breeze. Even before we started a black bear was wandering around the inlet - the first of many wonderful nature sitings.

Over the following days we were blessed with the same consistently glorious weather. The beauty and splendour of Haida Gwaii is beyond words - an awe inspiring, majestic, and very special place. Our guide Bryan was first class. His knowledge, enthusiasm, and charm spoiled us. The food was always fresh and wonderful - in particular at the days end at either the floating camp by Elise or at Rose harbour by Susan. The accommodations absolutely suited to the trip and very comfortable. A special treat was when Geutz (sp?) at Rose Harbour fired up the wood-fire heated shower for our group! Our group too was wonderful; a great mix backgrounds and personalities that were very engaged and interactive, resulting in a fun and educational experience.

Most of all it was about the sites; the erie abandoned ancient Haidii communities presided over by the proud Watchmen who told their stories, the old fishing and mining camps, the incredible wildlife - Eagles, bears including a mother bear and her cub, deer, river otters, sealions, squid, jellyfish, starfish, numerous whales (including a humpback that glided under our boat), a yew tree (inside joke to our group), the old-growth trees...

The experience ended far too soon. Thanks to Moresby Explores and Bryan our guide for creating an exceptional experience. A wonderful trip, very professionally run, excellent staff, excellent value. My only recommendation would be to have a 6-day trip available with a hiking day and a kayaking day added in to the existing 4-day itinerary. If that happens I'm booking!

Moresby Explorers receives my highest possible recommendation!

7  Thank Tyrrel d
Reviewed July 25, 2013

We were on Atlas' first tour. Every aspect of the trip exceeded our expectations. James being a local and experienced tour guide knows the locations to visit if you want to hike, kayak or fish. The meals were made with our catch of the day (I caught my first halibut) with something different every day. And the native sites (with tours given by the Watchmen) are something that I will always remember; viewing totem poles in the museum does not compare to these artifacts (are slowly being absorbed by nature). Less than 2,000 people visit these sites per year so it is a very special experience The boat is very stable and comfortable and we always felt safe (same goes for the kayaks). The best thing was the price (lowest price that we could find among any of the comparable tours, so as long as you are up to helping out (cook and with some of the tasks) this is a great active type tour to go on if you are in good health and active. Peter & Lynne

4  Thank PeterInSooke
Reviewed September 7, 2012

A trip of a lifetime made even more memorable by a wonderful tour group and incredibly friendly locals. I would highly recommend Moresby Explorers. They were professional, knowledgeable and welcoming. I took the 2 day tour with Moresby Explorers and felt that it was a wonderful introduction to the area, its history and its untouched grandeur. I came prepared with granola bars and dried fruit in my pack as part of the trip would be “off the grid”. I did not once need to resort to my snacks and I am sure to have gained a few pounds while on the tour. Great home cooked local meals, full hot breakfasts, fresh catch of the day, pasta and homemade breads, muffins and cakes. Haida Gwaii is an awe inspiring place and many of the historic areas and remote beauty would be difficult to access on one’s own (without a boat and the knowldge of a guide). The people of Sandspit and Skidegate were incredibly friendly. My only regret was not having more time and staying on longer to visit areas further north as I am sure they would have been as breathtaking. I will definitely return (next time with my family) and we will be sure to plan for the 4 day tour with Moresby Explorers and stay some extra time for visiting the wonderful people of Moresby and Graham Island, the spectacular forests and lovely beaches and sea. Thanks Haida Gwaii and MorEx for making a "bucket list" trip well worth the wait.

5  Thank TDW-22