The Lodge at Hippa Island (Westcoast Resorts)
Novato, California
“Beyond”
Reviewed February 20, 2014

My wife and I are regulars to the Charlottes for fishing. First time at Hippa and guided. Off the charts on fantastic. Non stop Chinook action. Service at lodge was beyond expectations. Pierre had dinner with us, and made sure we were both made to feel special constantly. He knew we were regulars elsewhere, and he made sure this was going to be our new place. All other staff was totally attentive to our satisfaction. Fish cleaner "Damage" took me on an eagle viewing trip which just put the whole trip off the top. We have already booked 1 week for this year- guided again and cant wait. Thanks. Richard Masef

Room Tip: Talk to your service coordinator prior to the trip
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Richard M

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (16)
Victoria, Canada
Reviewed February 20, 2014

What a place ! A magnificent site. The fishing was exceptional, the accommodation very nice, the food was very good, and the service absolutely perfect.
We were treated like kings. You can tell this place is run by a true professional
I am sure we will be back next year.
Merci Pierre pour un sejour memorable
Dominique Chapheau

1 Thank Dominique C
South Riding, Virginia
Reviewed February 18, 2014

My husband has been on several trips like this with another company. He finally convinced me to go. My idea of a couples trip usually includes a beach with drinks served in coconuts with little umbrellas. What had he gotten me into?

From the moment we arrived, the staff did everything they could to make us all comfortable. The helicopter flight was a 1st for me and very exciting! Our bags were delivered to our rooms quickly and we got dressed for fishing. Chuma was our guide and did a great job of showing us the ropes and making me feel like it was ok that I didn't have a clue about salmon fishing. The fact that our trip was 1/2 guided was great. The gear was a little different than my husband had use previously and Chuma knew right where to go to catch lots of fish, which afterall, was the point of the trip! Then when we were on our own it gave us an opportunity to prove to each other that we had learned how to drop the gear and catch the fish.

The ride out to the fishing area was about 30 minutes - not bad. The scenery was amazing - I have never seen so many Bald Eagles in one place in my life! We loved the lunch service. They actually delivered a hot lunch to us on the water each day. That was so cool. It was like a drive thru 5 star resturant - hot sandwich, hot soup, drinks, snacks - whatever you wanted. Yum!

The facilities at the Lodge were 1st class (and did I mention we had to helicopter to get there?). The meals were plentiful and so delicious! The service from everyone on board was over the top. The staff is truly there to serve. The hot tub felt great after being out on the water all day and helped loosen some of the sore muscles. And while the trip is expensive, when you factor in everything you get - charter flight, helicopter ride, 1st Class Lodge, AND ALL THAT FISH...it's definitely worth it!!

Definitely a trip worth taking!!

Room Tip: Given the option, I think I'd select a room upstairs on the back side of the lodge - away from t...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Trish K
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Reviewed July 25, 2013

Hippa is the best!!!! I have been fishing the on the West side of Haida Gwaii for 11 years and the fishing continues to astound me. The Hippa Island lodge is located in the ideal location. No other location offers the quantity of Salmon and the consistency. West Coast Resorts has fine tuned the trip and continues to prove an exceptional experience. Our trip had 36 quests, we estimate that we caught and released over 50,000 lbs of Salmon in 2.5 days!!

5 Thank SalmonMaster
Valencia, Spain
Reviewed July 21, 2013

After years of procrastination, I finally made my way up to the Queen Charlotte's to experience everything I've heard and was I happy I did. Relying on feedback of friends, I trolled multiple sites for last minute deals and ended up with Hippa Lodge because of the stunning visual their website provided. I was not disappointed.
From the booking experience with Lisa and co, to reception with Pierre and his team, to the final send off, everything was top shelf. We had a newbie guide (Doug) who did a great job in getting us around and we were lucky to have his local insight on the area. Plenty of belly laughs and never mind the fishing!! Pierre was also kind enough to take us out one morning and what an experience we enjoyed with his obvious passion for fishing.
Outstanding trip and I'm already checking the calendar for when we should be headed back next year.
Highly recommended for an overall experience. Looking forward to returning.

3 Thank Fallguy450
Mill Creek, Washington
Reviewed July 20, 2013

This is my 9th trip to Haida Gwaii, 2nd trip to WCR Hippa Island Lodge. It was one of best fishing trip ever for me. With the great weather, my party limited on every species of fish, King Salmon, Lingcod, Yelloweye, and Halibut and we also saw the beauty of the scenery which we did not see on previous trip. We brought home over 300 lbs of fish between my brother and I. Rooms, food, fishing equipment, and guide, everything is top notch at Hippa Island Lodge. It has been less than a week since I came back from the trip, but I am already looking forward to next year.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Jeffrey O
Tacoma, Washington
Reviewed July 3, 2013

This was our first trip to Hippa Island and it exeeded anything we have experienced in our 20 years of fishing on the North Coast. Pierre and his crew were watchful to every need and interacted with everyone every evening. Accomodatiuons were excellent but the ear plugs came in handy at night. After all it is a remote location and power comes from a generator.
Fishing was absoulutely OFF THE HOOK. Again the best trip for fish in 20 years also! We have stayed at QCL, Oak Bay Marribel, Charolette Queen and King Salmon, Ole's Hakai Pass, Rivers Inlet Resort to mention a few and this was hands down the best overall! Our instructor C B (Jason) pointed us in the right direction. The weather was outstanding and sea conditions were great. The open ocean fishing may not be for all but for us it's where it's at. We limited on most evrything and had 3 tyees in our 8 Chinook. Can't re-book soon enough!! Thank you.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
2 Thank Steven P
Also consider these accommodations in or near Haida Gwaii (Queen Charlotte Islands)
City Centre
Radisson Hotel Vancouver Airport
Bridgeport
Westin Wall Centre Vancouver Airport

Been to The Lodge at Hippa Island (Westcoast Resorts)? Share your experiences!