“St Pierre City Tour”

Sponsored by:
Map
Satellite
Map updates are paused. Zoom in to see updated info.
Reset zoom
Updating Map...
Sponsored by:
Pickering, Canada
37 helpful votes
“St Pierre City Tour”
Reviewed March 17, 2012

With Saint-Pierre and Miquelon being such a small place where tourism is not quite booming, we were not sure how to find out more about this last French bastion in Canada's Gulf of St Lawrence once we arrived. The best way to find about about this unique island, its history and culture, is to book a guided tour with The State Museum; they have a website http://www.arche-musee-et-archives.net/fr/ The walk was un-crowded and quite personalized. One can learn about the people, architecture, and other curiosities of the island colony.

12 Thank mltrini
Truro, NS
59 helpful votes
“France, off the coast of Newfoundland!”
Reviewed September 17, 2011

During our recent trip to Newfoundland, we took a side-trip to the Island of Saint Pierre, a province of France, which was considered a highlight of our trip. Despite the fact the weather was foggy and chilly, we had a wonderful time exploring the Island.

We highly recommend the bus tour of the 26 square kilometre island, run by a grandfather/granddaughter team, as a great way to get a feel for the island, and learn a lot of history. The tour is given in both French & English.

We were disappointed in our B&B, the Auberge Quatre Temps, which was damp, cramped & musty smelling. The window in one of our rooms did not have a screen, and the bed was right next to the window, so we could not open it. The restaurant which is advertised as being "open daily" was not, and breakfast was disappointing. We were served coffee, a basket of bread & croissants with packaged jams, "chocolate milk". (A mug of warmed up milk and the can of Nesquick served to the table!) The owners seemed put-out when we asked for ice.

Saint Pierre is quaint and you really "feel" like you are in Europe. We wished we'd had more than just the one day, so we could have also gone to the islands of Miquelon and Longlades.

The service we had from St. Pierre Tours out of Fortune, NL (the ferry to get to Saint Pierre) was exceptional. We had originally been booked on the French ferry which went on strike the day we were supposed to travel. The people at St. Pierre Tours as well as on the boat itself were very service oriented and we would recommend them highly!

All in all, we had an above average experience when traveling to Saint Pierre and would recommend visiting this island of France, off the coast of Newfoundland.

42 Thank BelgraviaBB
TUCSON, ARIZONA
94 helpful votes
“Recent Visit ot Saint Pierre”
Reviewed September 6, 2010

WHY GO THERE: I live in Tucson Arizona, and was looking for a short break from the heat. On a recent trip to visit family in upstate New York, I added a side trip to Newfoundland and Saint Pierre, in part to visit a part of France on the “cheap”. I was attracted by the history and excellent opportunities for photography.

HOW TO GET THERE: Continental has non-stop daily service from Newark to Saint Johns Newfoundland. From there, you can rent a car, drive several hours and take a ferry from Fortune Newfoundland (370 km from Saint Johns), or fly Air Saint Pierre. For me, the Air Saint Pierre option was quicker and cheaper (they also depart from Montreal and Halifax). Also, when I got to the island, I met several people stranded by rough seas awaiting ferry service back to Newfoundland.

WHERE TO STAY: I stayed at the Hotel Robert. It is old, but centrally located. The staff was quite helpful. My room was in the Annex and had a refrigerator. I would also recommend the Auberge Quatre Temps. However, it is several blocks away from downtown and up-hill.

WHAT TO DO AND SEE: Just waking around the island and taking pictures is a great experience. If you are a hiker, the island has several hikes outside of town that offer excellent panoramic views. I would recommend Musee Archives for a general history of the town, a guided taxi tour (Le Caillon Blanc is good) for an overview and general orientation, and a trip to Ile Aux Marins (Dog Island). The island is currently abandoned and therefore frozen in time. It is also a great place to take pictures of the harbor of Saint Pierre.

WHERE TO EAT: There are not a lot of restaurants, and they are expensive. I had dinners at the Auberge Quatre Temps and the L’Atelier Gourmand overlooking the harbor. Both were good and cost 30-50 euros. If you do not want to spend that kind of money at every meal, check out the super market on the west side of town next to the cemetery. You can get French wines and cheeses and other staples. There are also two French bakeries down town. Also the Hotel Robert offers fresh pastries, coffee and juice fro Breakfast.

USEFUL INFORMATION:
• The weather in unpredictable; cold and rainy, foggy or sometimes even pleasant. Be ready for anything.
• Prepare for a lot of walking and wear appropriate foot wear.
• I found it useful to have euros, but they will take your dollars as well. I did not find any banks open – only ATM’s.
• Nothing is open between 12:00 Noon and 2:00 PM.
• Be careful of the cars and truck as you walk around town. Sidewalks are rare, and you end up walking in the street a lot.
• A few words of French are helpful, but when pressed, the local people will speak English. I speak a little Spanish, and that came in handy too.
• As you walk on the road east of town, halfway between the round about intersection and the Power Plant, there is a little natural that the locals get there drinking water from. It is worth stopping for.

94 Thank BRUCEWYCKOFF
Hartford CT
84 helpful votes
“My husband is a really good sport”
Reviewed October 18, 2009

My husband booked us into three days in St. Pierre after October 1. You have not lived until you have been there out of season! You can walk by the closed museums (ok, there was a tiny museum on Miquelon that opened just for us, I think, but none on Saint Pierre), eye the post office where they supposedly have beautiful stamps but it is closed on Saturday and Sunday (we arrived in the afternoon Friday and failed to rush over), visit the flea market on Saturday, where they sell Christmas ornaments, t-shirts and other similarly hard-to find items (Wow!), take a tour of the island in a van in the fog, and have the driver describe the view you would have had in nice weather, rent the video of "The Widow of Saint Pierre" and watch it in the very friendly tourist center, hoping to see local landmarks, only to learn it was filmed in Newfoundland. We also had a tour to Miquelon, but the S.S. Ne Marche Pas ( the ferry) was not running, so we crossed the water in a zodiac - cold, windy, long and livened up by having the engine die for 5 mnutes. We had mostly good food except that usually the vegetables were overcooked mixed peas, carrots and green beans. And we got good exercise walking up and down the steep streets looking for something to do!

39 Thank Dennybaker
A TripAdvisor Member
“Great sidetrip for when in Newfoundland”
Reviewed February 2, 2005

During our last trip to Newfoundland, we discovered a little bit of France just 12 miles of the coast! We had no idea those islands existed untill we were exploring the east coast of Canada and decided it was definitely worth the detour.

Mind you, it did take us over 2 hours from Saint-John's to get to a small outpost called Fortune, and we took a ferry over to the islands. It was well worth the trip as we suddenly felt like we were in Normandy or Britanny. Pastries, French Bread, great restaurants but best of all, beautiful scenery.

For history buffs, check out the local museums, there are at least 3 of them, the official island's museum even has a Guillotine, I kid you not.

53 Thank A TripAdvisor Member

Been to Saint-Pierre and Miquelon? Share your experiences!