“Good for the soul!”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Mayne Island
Mayne Island Camping
Reviewed July 2, 2014

My adult daughter and I decided to go on a mother-daughter camping trip and spent 3 nights(June 28-30) at Seal Beach - what a wonderful experience! I believe there are only 8-9 (?) sites, and a common area by the residence on the property. All sites are walk-in but it is a very short walk from the parking lot. We were on site #2 which was set in a bit from the water but still had a great ocean view - we have a larger tent and the oceanfront sites were a bit too small to accommodate our tent. We explored the 22 acres of property spending time beachcombing ,watching spectacular sunsets, and hanging out on the rocks watching the eagles, seals and otters (even had a nap out there!). Sunday night we were thrilled to hear a pod of Orcas passing nearby! I would recommend site #2 if you have a large tent, then site #3 and #4 (great oceanfront spots) for smaller tents.
Things we did: Farmers Market in the village on Saturday / Bennett Bay - Campbell Point (short hike)/ Georgina Point Lighthouse / Japanese Garden / Mount Parke - hiked Ridge trail / and my favourite - hiked Edith Point trail - this is a private property but the owner has graciously allowed the public access. We walked on the wide main trail through beautiful forest, then ventured onto one of the smaller trails and wound up out on a trail with spectacular ocean views.
We were both sorry to have to leave but will definitely be back to visit again!

Stayed: June 2014, traveled with family
2  Thank carrie1236

Reviewed July 28, 2013

My daughter and I had a most wonderful holiday camping at Seal Beach.
The site for our campervan was bright and spacious with lots of room for children to play and run around.
The beach was amazing with lots of nooks and crannies to explore with great beach combing treasures to find.
We hiked a few of the trails around the property thru the beautiful lush rain forest.
The outdoor ocean front 'tree house' shower with hot water was a bonus! It's the best shower feeling in the world!
We walked to the nearby Greenhouse Restaurant for lunch and into the village for the Saturday Farmers Market, which had an abundance if local produce, folk art and delicious baked goods!
The island folk were very friendly and welcoming.
We will definitely return to camp again at Seal Beach!
My daughter was having such a good time she didn't want to leave.

• Stayed: July 2013
1  Thank Geminigirl71
Reviewed July 22, 2013 via mobile

I was pleased to find camping accommodation on Mayne, and booked an overnight getaway. Making the reservation was easy (once I called, as e-mail wasn't acknowledged). When we arrived, the caretakers we're out, but left very good instructions, and invited us to settle in. The priblem was that we were to settle in at the 'paddock', an open, dusty square rectangle with no privacy, shade or waterfront. As the campsites were described as either forested or ocean front, we figured that once the caretakers returned, we would be assigned a site. We puttered around Miners Bay until their return. Sadly the paddock was to be our assigned site, since we had a camper van. The price was also higher ($30) than what was noted on the website and confirmed on the phone. my driveway at home wou hae been a better campsite! We politely cancelled. I said at the time of reservation that we had a campervan, and at no time was I told that we would NOT be in the advertised forested or oceanfront campsites. I feel we were subject to a bit of a bait and switch. That being said, the location is stellar, the grounds look nicely maintained, and both people we dealt with were polite. Too bad the reality was vastly different from the beautiful pictures on the website. Having no alternative for camping, we left the island on the next ferry. spending so much time waiting for the caretakers to return left us with very little time to explore the island. Sad. What a waste of what was supposed to be a two day getaway ... Not to mention the cost of getting here on the ferry.

• Stayed: July 2013
2  Thank Marie F
Kathryn G, Manager at Mayne Island Camping, responded to this reviewResponded October 2, 2013

Mayne Island Camping is a walk-in campsite geared towards tenters. For an extra fee we occasionally accommodate RV vehicles in what was once a paddock area which has no waterfront view but is only a few steps from the beautiful sand and pebble beach.

Been to Mayne Island Camping? Share your experiences!