“Good food, great view”

Cuisines: Contemporary
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed August 26, 2014

Like the chicken carbonara pasta and loved the view. Decent place to eat. The kids picked the chicken fingers and cheese pasta. The view is the best part.

1  Thank Funinthesun175
There are newer reviews for Bennett Bay Bistro

Reviewed August 26, 2014

It was very busy but my food was delicious and hot when I got it. And very polite staff. Nice location and not far from where I was staying.

1  Thank quiltingartist
Reviewed August 24, 2014

A lovely warm August Evening found 37 of our Tennis friends on the deck of the Bennett Bay Bistro on Mayne Island. We enjoyed a welcome drink as we entered out onto the deck overlooking beautiful Bennett Bay.
The appes were of a generous size and delicious, the salad bar was a fresh offering of baby spinach or lettuce with all the trimmings..
Thankyou to chefs Colleen and Dave for making our finale of the season a memorable one.

2  Thank Judy W
Reviewed August 15, 2014

The bistro was our pick to dine on Mayne Island for our friends 30th Wedding Anniversary. It was a hot August night and although most patrons were on the deck we decided to sit indoors with an ocean view as the wasps on Mayne this time of year can be pesky as you try to enjoy your food. For a small corkage fee you can bring your own wine so the group enjoyed a great bottle of Terralsole. Service was outstanding and we were not disappointed in our meals.
Two in the group had Fish and Chips( both still raving about the meal days later) one had the Seared Sockeye Salmon the other the Sweet Coconut Curry with prawns and the last two the Cajun Prawn Penne( spicy and flavourful). All meals were memorable. You can't beat the stunning views of Bennett Bay and the kitchen consistently produces well prepared tasty meals. Kudos to the team at the Bistro.

1  Thank derjm
Reviewed August 11, 2014

First of all, the outside deck is spacious and really nice. The view out over the water to the islands is beautiful. I have some empathy for our server--- she did her best but was very rushed because they were short staffed. This of course is not the customers' fault, but her stress was palpable. The calamari appetizer was completely devoid of flavour. We were quite surprised at how flavourless it was. Side salads were fine, but the main courses we're not. I had Mediterranean linguini and have to say it was unappetizing. (I'm trying to be polite). The linguini was overlooked, the meal was wet (improperly drained linguini?), there were way too many roasted garlic (some are nice, but not a plate full), and the sun dried tomatoes were just tossed in and not actually part of the dish. I didn't enjoy it at all. When the server asked how the meal was, I told her. Nothing happened after that and we were ultimately presented with a bill for everything we ordered. The manger did not enquire, little empathy was shown and there was no offer to "make it right". I don't understand this attitude as it makes a bad meal even worse. It's like no one cared if we didn't enjoy it or whether we'd come back---- which we won't.

3  Thank Michael T
Bennett_Bay_Bistro, Owner at Bennett Bay Bistro, responded to this reviewResponded August 12, 2014

Wow. I'm not sure what to say. As co owner and co chef, I'm very sorry you had such an unpleasing experience. Unfortunately this was not brought to our attention and I can assure you that had it been, we most definitely would have done our best to make sure you left happy, either with a new meal, or at the very least, comped the one you had. We will be looking into this further to be sure that our staff is aware of the importance of bringing this to our attention. Regarding the Mediterranean Linguine dish you had, it is one of our most popular items and gets rave reviews all the time so I'm miffed as to what happened. I'm very sorry you didn't enjoy your dinner and hope that if you're back on Mayne, that you do give us another go. Let us know if you do and we will be sure to comp your next meal.