“Exactly what I was looking for”
Review of Blue Vista Resort

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Mayne Island
Blue Vista Resort
Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Mayne Island
Reviewed January 30, 2012

I came to Mayne looking for a quiet, out-of-the-way, deep-in-the-winter retreat and this is exactly what I found. The cabin was cozy, with a lovely wood fireplace to ward off the winter storm. I don't know about nearby amenities because I wasn't looking for them; I came primarily to be left to my own for a few days and that's what I got.

My chief quibble - and I've said this about other places I've visited - is that exaggerated claims make me annoyed. Blue Vista's website makes a couple of claims: one, that they have WiFi and two, that some of the cabins have "ocean views." The WiFi signal is weak - so weak that my iPad regularly dropped out. Either add another router or don't claim that you have WiFi. Do people go to cabins based on the ability to connect to the Internet? I think it's a nice extra to have, but I wouldn't base my decision about whether to visit a facility on whether it had WiFi. As for the "ocean views" claim, it's on the website's price list and is a bit of a stretch. You can see the water from some of the cabins, viewed across the road and through a stand of pines. My point is, the cabins are good value, well appointed, in a lovely location on a nice, quiet island. I think it makes more sense for facilities to celebrate those clearly positive benefits rather than pretending you're something you're not.

I don't want to be all negative-Nancy, however. This is a great place and I would recommend it highly.

• Stayed: January 2012, traveled solo
2  Thank Fernwoodian

Reviewed January 8, 2012

Highly recommended: my husband and I stayed in this resort on New Year's Eve and had a wonderful time in our bright, warm, cozy and spotless little cabin. The bed and pillows were very comfortable, which was a definite plus as we both have back problems. The cabin was equipped with everything that we needed to make our stay enjoyable and there was a generous supply of tea bags and coffee at our disposal. Finally, we found the owner very helpful and friendly and she gave us all the information that we needed to make our stay pleasant and stress free. Before we left, on the morning of January 1st, we went for a long walk on quiet roads close to the resort.

Room Tip: The Blue Heron cabin is perfect for a couple.
  • Stayed: December 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank shalwego
Reviewed December 26, 2011

We just returned from a pleasant adventure to Mayne Island, BC at the Blue Vista Resort-definitely five star! Nine charming cabins, fully equipped and clean. Our cabin was roomy, comfy kingsize bed, big fridge, lots of mirrors and lights, big bathroom, wood stove ready to light, electric heat, tastefully furnished. The front yard has a playground with picnic tables, each with a barbecue. Family oriented! The hosts were gracious, generous and friendly. We enjoyed touring around the island to the old lighthouse, beautiful Japanese garden and the quaint shops and eating spots. The hostess met us at the ferry terminal and returned us to the ferry at the conclusion of our visit. We came home feeling happy and relaxed and would definitely like to repeat this unique experience!! Rea and Dale from Wasa, BC

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank Readale50
Reviewed December 24, 2011

We-my Husband and I- went in late Sept./Oct. to Mayne Island to stay in the "Blue Vista Resort" and that is no the 3. time we been there. We enjoy ourself tramendesly,because it is so need there. It is quiet and relaxing. We stayed this time in the Cabin "Sean Lion".it was very frindly, cozy and very clean. We enjoyed our long walks or strolling around on the Beach. We even tried a little fishing,unfortunately,we had to grill the Steaks on the B.B.Q,which is also suppleyd right by the Cabin.We also like the little Stores,the Restaurant right on the Ozean and more so,we like to chad with Carmen,the Owner,who is always very helpful in any Way.
We are thinking of going back for a long weekend,as soon Spring has sprang ! E+ M

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled as a couple
3  Thank huntingboots
Reviewed October 31, 2011

I stayed at this resort in July. When I booked my 3 night stay, I explained to the owner that I would be travelling alone and I was looking for peace and quiet. My reservation confirmation from the Blue Vista describes it as "A small cottage resort that provides a peaceful getaway for couples, singles, families and small groups looking for a quiet retreat". I had stayed at the Blue Vista a few years earlier, with my husband, and we had enjoyed our stay, so I felt confident in my choice, even though there were new owners, the owner had been very nice over the phone. When I arrived my key to Hummingbird Cottage was in an envelope taped to the office door, and there was a note saying that if I needed anything, to call the owners, who lived off the property. All seemed in order with my little cottage - the cottages are not fancy but functional and clean. Soon after I arrived it became apparent that I was in the middle of a very large group who were occupying 4 or 5 of the 8 cabins in the resort. My cabin was in the literally in the middle, so a group of about 30 people (I tried not to count because I didn't want to get obsessed - but it was a LOT of people for the number of cabins they were occupying) were pretty much monopolizing the common areas, and visiting to and fro between rooms. They were a lively and happy bunch with lots of kids, lots of noise. My little note with my key said to call the owner if I needed anything, and, after a couple of hours sitting in my cabin listening to a din that could be heard from 'way down the street (when I took a walk to the beach), I phoned the owner to see if I could be moved to another cabin further away, and to express my displeasure at the situation I found myself in. Her first words were "what do you want me to do, ask them to leave?', so I knew she didn't "get it". She went on to tell me that they were nice people and that they would quiet down by the resort's designated quiet time of 10pm. She also said she would "see what she could do" about moving me to another cottage, further away from the group. She also told me that she would speak to them about their noise. I said "Please, DO NOT speak to them, they are not doing anything wrong, and it will only make things worse" Well, she must have, because when I ran into some of the adults from the group in another part of the island, they were smirking and making jokes about how much noise they were making at the resort. I didn't hear from the owner again for the rest of my stay. I tried to spend my quiet time away from the resort, at a beautiful park with a lighthouse, where I could watch the ferries come and go. On check out day, I went looking for the owner and found her cleaning one of the rooms. I had been there 3 days and never met her. I went to the office to pay, and she said "I'm sorry you found it too busy here". This was not an apology in my books, so I said nothing, paid her, and left. I had tried to make the best of my stay, and there was no sense pursuing this any further with someone who obviously didn't understand what my problem was. I would have even appreciated a phone call from her, once her large booking was received, to warn me that there would be a large noisy group, and to give me a chance to make other arrangements. I was so clear with her on the phone about what I was looking for. Then, when I complained, she almost went as far, but not quite, as accusing me of being racist, since the group was from another culture. Unbelievable! What should have been a nice retreat for me became a very uncomfortable and almost creepy experience. Based on the insensitve way i was treated, i could not reccomend this resort to anyone.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled solo
5  Thank sawmill9
Reviewed August 2, 2011

The cabin is lovely, we had a nice deck and enjoyed the morning sun. There is a playground area in the common space and it was pretty quiet at first.
We had two groups of families with lots of kids who had the run of the common area so not quite so quiet.
We managed to find quiet times by only hanging around the cabins during quiet times.

Beaches are not directly accessible from the cabins. There are public access areas. One public access area is near a private cottage, and they give off the "stay out" vibes. There are lots of "private" not accessible places in Mayne. I think it is a utopia for people with cottages on the waterfront. It can be disappointing if you are looking for a quiet beach and are limited to the "map" to find one.

Kayaking is right near by and cycling is a must. You can cycle the whole island in a day. Pick different bays and you will see nice scenery. There are some nice farms, esp on along Horton Bay, and some friendly goats along Fernhill road across the Home Hardware.

Stayed: August 2011, traveled as a couple
3  Thank BreakfromWinter
Reviewed July 21, 2011

4 nights 5 day excellent Blue Vista rooms hospitality made for a very comfortable stay. Not a big traveler but thanks for the relaxing affordable stay.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled with family
2  Thank mclaughlin66

Been to Blue Vista Resort? Share your experiences!