“A gem on a small island!”

Mayne Island Resort
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Mayne Island
North Saanich, Canada
“A gem on a small island!”
Reviewed July 17, 2013

We stayed in one of the 8 hotel rooms which although smaller, are very nicely done and the balcony overlooking the bay is truly great. The bathroom we had was nicely updated with a shower only and toilet and the sink was in the main area as you enter the room - a little cramped but ok.The refrigerator and microwave provided in the common area for those staying in the hotel was great in that we were able to keep breakfast items there. There is a coffee maker in the room as well
Although the rooms are situated over the bistro, we were not bothered by the noise as they do not open until lunch and dinner is over by 8 pm. The food in the bistro is excellent and very good value. It was great to sit on the terrace for both dinners we had there.
The swimming pool and hot tub were a real bonus. There is also a small gym and a steam room. We didn't have time to book any spa treatment!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (133)
Courtenay, Canada
Reviewed June 30, 2013

Spent last week of June in an amazing first-class cottage and location. Staff are to be commended for their professionalism, friendly demeanor and ensuring what will now become a regular visit to Mayne Island. Resort services are top notch including grocery store only 4 km away. We are kayakers and this resort offers a front row seat to some of this best experiences on the West Coast where after a day on the water you can retreat to the spa, excellent restaurant, and finally a glass of wine at your private cottage over looking the amazing scenery and wildlife. To all at Mayne Island Resort, thank you very much for a superb experience and have a great 2013 season. See you soon, Walt & Pam (#111)

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Walt L
Surrey, Canada
Reviewed June 28, 2013

We recently visited Mayne Island Resort and spent a week in one of the cottages overlooking the ocean. It is the most awesome view ever. The cottage is very nice and comfortable. It has everything that you need and it is very well maintained. There is a great restaurant at the resort as well as a wine store. The hot tub and pool are very welcoming and a great way to spend some time. This is a great place to come to if you want to just relax and enjoy the stillness and beauty around you. However, there is also much to do there as well, such as kayaking, hiking and exploring.
The staff and personnel are very friendly and are always there for you to make your stay enjoyable.

Room Tip: The cottages are large and roomy and are facing the ocean with excellent views.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Burnaby, Canada
Reviewed June 24, 2013

I had a great time when I spent a week in Mayne Island resort over looking the Bennett Bay last year May 2012. Beautify secenic place, friendly staff, fantastic restaurant, wine store and spa services available. All the amenities I need for a relaxing get away. There are lots of scenic hiking trails to choose from or sitting on the beach just to relax. I loved the well maintained tennis courts near the community center. Great place to visit again.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
WEST VANCOUVER
Reviewed June 2, 2013

My husband was celebrating a significant birthday and we chose this lovely island for a few days away.
Our cottage was newly built, spacious and right on the ocean. It had everything we needed and more - we chose the "pet friendly cottage" as we wanted to bring our furry friend - and this included a fenced play yard for him and comfy blankets and a towel for wet paws. The decor was very up to date with under floor heating in the bathroom which I loved!. The spa with pool and hot tub was new and spotlessly clean. We enjoyed the restaurent and the carefully landscaped grounds.
Best of all was the attitude of the friendly and helpful staff who were so anxious to make our stay a happy and memerable experience - which it was.

Victoria
Reviewed May 30, 2013

The Mayne Island resort main building is 100 years old, and it does feel like it. They have stripped the floors down to the original hardwood, giving the place the feel of an old schoolhouse. The hardwood also serves to amplify all noises.

The rooms in the main builiding are not 'cozy', they are 'small', and so is the tv, shower, and bathroom. The walls are not soundproofed either.

On the plus side, they have made efforts to update the rooms, and the view is spectacular!

They are in the process of building many more luxury cabin timeshares there, so spend the extra money and get a 'beach house' as they are called.

The staff were quite friendly, but seemed extremely puzzled when asked for a corkscrew, and were forced to borrow a brand new one from the gift shop. They wondered why we had not brought a twist off capped bottle (LoL!!!).

There is also no bed service or fresh towels as the default for these rooms, so make your own bed and go easy on the towels if staying more than 1 night!

The island is a charm and the people there universally infected with a happy drug which must be in the water.

Another note is that this hotel IS 100 years old, and yes, quite sure it is haunted, as my wife can attest, so great stop for any paranormal group out there on a ghost tour.

Room Tip: Stay in a cottage.
1 Thank Mr_Jones2
phil_rose53, Owner at Mayne Island Resort, responded to this review, June 9, 2013
Mr_Jones2,

Thank you very much for taking the time to write a review.

Your pictures look great.

Yes our pet friendly rooms are small and are really more suitable for smaller pets. I’m sure that with your golden retriever you would have been much happier in one of our more spacious pet friendly waterfront cottages. Also no need to buy twist cap wine as all of our cottages come equipped with a cork screw :) 

We do have antique hardwood floors and/or tile throughout the resort. I know the harder floor surfaces can be noisy at time but on the plus side they are infinitely cleaner than carpet, especially in pet friendly units.

Water and wastewater treatment is a huge issue in the gulf islands so our policy is to replace towels and sheets every second day OR when requested by the guest. The front staff are required to make this clear at check in, I'm sorry if this did not get properly communicated to you.

I very much appreciate your business and I will definitely take all of your concerns into consideration.

Kind regards
Murray Rosengren owner
vancouver, bc
Reviewed May 24, 2013

My partner and I decided to stay in one of the cottages since some reviews said the rooms were small and I wanted my visit to be a memorable one, since I'm celebrating my bf's belated birthday. Overall, if you stay at one of the cottages, you will find everything you need. I brought extra face cloths and towels as I read there would be no maid service during your stay. The face cloths came in handy, though I didn't really need my extra towels. I noticed they did have two spare bath towels in the closet (as the cottages can sleep 4) so I think this is the reason. However, since we were a couple, there were only 2 bathrobes. You will need to bring extra shampoo. They do provide bath soap and there is a hairdryer.

Check in - We were able to check in early in so you should try to, as well. We arrived by 10 am morning ferry from Vancouver but didn't try to check in earlier because we thought 10 am was way too early. After lunch , we drove around a bit then decided to drop by around 2 pm to try our luck. They advised that the room was ready at 10 am, since no one stayed the night before and they knew the ferry would arrive at 10 am. So I recommend that you can drop by earlier to see if you can check in early.

They have a golf cart which they use to drive you to your room (complimentary). The distance is not far - maybe 100 feet away, so you could wheel your luggage but only 3/4 of the path is paved, and rest is gravel.

Upon check in, you pay for the balance of your stay eg. if you are reserved for a 2 night stay, you pay for the balance at check in.

Check out: there is a box outside the front door where you can drop off your room key card when you leave, handy if you are taking the 7:30 am ferry .. or I suppose you could also leave the keys in the room.

Room : The room was comfortably furnished, large king bed, good kitchen area, stove, dishwasher, fridge, tv, fireplace and heater/air conditioner unit which provided warm or air conditioning that was whisper quiet. The bathroom floors were stone tile and heated, floors were wood. There is also a self igniting gas bbq for your use.
Views were nice, quiet, and windows are such that people can't really see inside but you can see out.
There is also a washer and dryer but no laundry detergent (so bring some if you plan on using it). You should bring sugar and cream for your coffee. They have cups, dishes, pots, pans, cultery, dishes, tea pot, tea kettle, microwave, dishwasher etc. They do have small packets of sugar, salt and pepper and coffee whitener, as well as tea, coffee and decaf. but that's about it.

Housekeeping: I read another review who complained that they found coffee grains still in the coffee maker, so I was wondering what I would find. Much to my surprise and a bit of a shock, I did find something in the bedroom night table which I'm not allowed to describe here, I'd like to give the resort a chance to improve their housekeeping service because they seem to have everything else up to par.

Cleaning up the room by staff should be pretty easy, so I don't understand why there is a lack of diligence. Since there is no carpet, all they needed to do is sweep or vacuum up, check the drawers, wipe down the kitchen and bathroom, restock towels, put on new sheets, pillow cases and restock kitchen items as needed. I am wondering how much clean up do they actually do after guests leave. For your information, each guest is also required to strip the bed sheets and pillow cases and put them in the bath tub before they leave. Not sure why the resort doesn't do it. Considering the price one pays per night, including taxes comes to about $292.00 a nite. You are also asked to take away your own garbage.

Spa/Gym: The pool and gym was good. Although it was not very big, it had a forced water current in the center of the pool so you can swim against the current to get a work out. The switch is on the wall. I was comfortable using it to just swim a few short laps.

The steam room works great ...the control switch outside the room is a timer, not a temperature control. The temperature is controlled automatically and it is nice and hot.

Restaurant: They really need to improve the speed of their service. Service is extremely slow with the staff looking a bit lost and disoriented. We made reservations at 7 , arrived at 7:15pm, seated at 7:25pm. No one brought us a menu nor brought water, so we got up and got the menus ourselves. Then we waited, and waited before we finally decided to flag a waiter down. I was told by another patron that the staff is new, so is the kitchen staff...maybe that adds to the slow service. The wait staff were multi-tasking...playing hostess, bussing tables, and taking orders, and cashiering. If they wanted to improve the speed of their service, they really need to hire extra people eg. one head waiter/maitr'd, a bus boy and a hostess/cashier. Otherwise, they get overwhelmed, don't know who's been served or not.

They don't offer bread or bread sticks so you will have to wait for your orders to arrive. The best time to go when they first open or after 8:00 pm. In between is really just a long wait . The food was 7/10.

The only other restaurant available on the island is Springwater Lodge, which we went to for lunch earlier that day. On our 2nd day, we decided to cook our own dinner rather than eat out and waste another 2 hours. There was supposed to be a 3rd restaurant called Green House Bar & Grill but it wasn't open , their situation is uncertain.

I would suggest that Mayne Island bistro offer bread or bread sticks to waiting guests so they can nibble on something while waiting to be served. The salad bar is good.

Recommend: If your entree includes salad bar, I suggest you go with the salad bar rather than ordering appetizers. At least you'll be able to fill your stomach up earlier bcause it's going to be a long wait.

The staff was friendly, and nice, but are not experienced to handle the weekend crowd.

Places worth visiting: Farmer's Market (Open Saturdays, 10 am - 1 pm), Georgina Point Light house, Japanese Garden, and hiking on Mount Parke, Miner's Bay Books, Nomads Essentials (nice soaps). We didn't get a chance to visit the Glass Foundry.

Shopping: Tru Value Foods - fresh and good variety....they have parking in the front and in the back of the store.

hope you guys enjoy your stay as much as we did !

Also consider these accommodations in or near Mayne Island
#1 of 11 in Galiano Island
Brentwood Bay Resort & Spa
Brentwood Bay Resort & Spa
#1 of 4 in Central Saanich

Been to Mayne Island Resort? Share your experiences!