“Very Relaxing”

Mayne Island Resort
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Mayne Island
Reviewed June 26, 2012

My wife and I had a great time at this resort.The location on Bennett Bay was beautiful.We got a room at the Inn since the cottages were full.Very clean and cozy.French doors going out to the balcony with a fantastic view.Comfortable bed.My wife booked a spa treatment and really enjoyed it!Took a dip in the pool and hot tub.The restaurant meals were great,very tasty.The staff was helpfull in getting us some rental kayaks on the beach.We toured around this beautiful island,that has an abundance of small deer.A very relaxing stay,didn't want to leave.Great place to get away from the rat race!Will be back.

Room Tip: make reservations
3  Thank garymcc1

Reviewed June 23, 2012

I recently purchased a Groupon for this resort. The room we stayed in was small but cosy, somewhat basic but clean. The antique hardwood floors were beautifully finished with a clear coat showing the character of the old wood. The location is to die for with a balcony view over looking a spectacular seascape. We booked spa treatments, enjoyed the steam room and exercise equipment. The restaurant had great food and the glass carousel ocean view room was lovely. We also hiked and beach combed for hours, it was a beautiful couple of day’s getaway.
I would definitely recommend this resort but will probably try a cottage next time I visit. The cottages cost quite a bit more than the Inn rooms as they are much larger and positioned right along the shoreline. I would suggest that if you are economizing rent a room, if you want the best experience rent a cottage. Either way this beautiful resort or well worth checking out.
The ferry only took a little over an hour from Tsawwassen. We will be back.

4  Thank RivaRidge182
Reviewed June 23, 2012

My sister, her husband and my wife and I have just returned from a two night stay at the Mayne Island Resort, after the visit and reading other reviews I realize we should have stayed in a cottage and not rooms.

Firstly , there was no literature in the rooms to indicate any hotel services, restaurant details, etc, it did not seem as if they were very well prepared for guests. Strangely, the restaurant did not open for breakfast. The internet reception was very weak, cutting in and out continuously.

The walls of the rooms seemed paper thin and we could hear conversations from next door. The microwave in the foyer, (someone prepared their breakfast before 7:00 am), sounded like it was in the room, as did all other sounds in the corridor.

In the room next to my sister, the guest had a dog who's claws on the "100 year old flooring", sounded like it was tap dancing all night.

On our second night a very loud group of guests arrived back around 11:30 pm and continued to shout and party for over an hour. I really hoped the alarm clock that beeped loudly, waking me at 3:45 am, belonged to their room.

Needless to say I would not return to, or recommend, the hotel rooms here.

Room Tip: Stay in a cottage, stay out of the rooms.
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled with family
4  Thank david w
Reviewed June 22, 2012

We had heard some negative things about the resort but our company had already booked several cottages for a corporate retreat. When we arrived at night we were tired, cranky, and unsure. They checked our group into our rooms and cabins. The rooms are very quaint, but tidy and equipped with a nice sized balcony. The cabins were impressive, full kitchen and a wonderful soaker tub. The early morning views were spectacular. Our early morning walk with the dogs was a snap with the beach right next door and the resort even has a hot/cold pet washing station outside of the pool area. The pool was a therapy pool with jets and shorter in length than we expected but the steam and hot tub were good. There is also a small gymnasium with cardio equipment and a universal type gym but no free weights. The restaurant was very good also, lots of local foods and an interesting menu.

We had a lot of fun, the owners were really helpful with any of our concerns and the island is truly a jewel.

Room Tip: Cabins are semi detached and much more private. The rooms are 100 yrs old and very clean but smalle...
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed June 21, 2012

The rooms were small and not very clean. The wood floor had so much dirt on it that I had to wipe it down before I could walk in bear feet and got 1/4 cup of sand and dirt in the process.
Advertised that there was wireless internet and reception was so bad I had to sit beside the modem in the main hall to use my computer.

4  Thank Ilovegod1
Reviewed June 21, 2012

We recently returned from a one night stay at this property. We had booked for two nights but only stayed one. I was disappointed but a lot of that was my own fault. We booked with a Groupon coupon and obviously I did not read or fully understand what we would be getting. The property is quite lovely with a public park and beach right next door.Before booking I checked out their website and thought it looked fantastic. Well the cottages are fantastic but if you get booked into the old hotel not so much! The rooms are very small. They say the hotel is 100 years old and I am sure it is but it has not been refurbished to an antique style. There is a nice staircase leading up to the rooms that looks vintage and the flooring is the original hardwood but other than that it doesn't offer much in the way of charm or character. The newer area where the dining room is located is lovely and nice views and the food there is very good as well as the service. The staff are all nice. It was quite a let down thinking we would be in one of the lovely new cottages only to be put in a very small bleak room. We decided our garden at our own home would be more soothing so we left. Murray the manager called us and tried to make amends for which we were grateful but we will not be returning to this hotel. I should have been more careful or asked more questions as to where we would actually be located. Had I known I would not have bought the Groupon coupon. It sounded like such a wonderful deal, too good to be true and it was! Remember though the restuarant is super!

Room Tip: If you can't get a cottage or you can't afford the cottage prices, give this place a miss...
1  Thank newtonizer
Reviewed June 18, 2012

We stayed for 3 nights in Cottage #109 at the Mayne Island Resort and had a wonderful getaway ... despite the weather! The cottages are beautifully decorated and equipped ... granite countertops, well-equipped kitchen, wood floors, beautiful bathroom with separate shower and bathtub and heated floor, air-conditioning, gas fireplace, BBQ. With the comfortable sofa bed, it was great for 2 couples and would work well for a family too. We had a beautiful view of the water and enjoyed 2 dinners out on our patio. Doug from Bennett Bay Kayaking meet us on the beach to take us on a kayaking tour (definitely worthwhile) and we biked from the resort around much of the island. In early summer (May/June) many of the art/craft stores and the Wild Fennel restaurant (which had been recommended) are not open on Monday and Tuesday, so I would recommend going later in the week.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Mayne Island
Driftwood Village
Driftwood Village
#2 of 4 in Galiano Island
The Cottages on Salt Spring Island
The Cottages on Salt Spring Isla...
#3 of 22 in Salt Spring Island

Been to Mayne Island Resort? Share your experiences!