“Fantastic Location”
Review of Heron House

Heron House
Reviewed September 1, 2013

We rented the entire property for the first 2 weeks in August. It was a great place to rent for a large group. It was within walking distance to the grocery store, liquor store, restaurant, pub and marina. The location is primo! The property has an assortment of cabins, each with their own appeal. The view from the deck of the main house is beautiful, looking out at Rebecca Spit and watching the boats going in and out of the harbor. There is a small floating dock you can swim to when the tide is high and sit and enjoy the view. Linda the owner and here daughter Cory were very accommodating and tolerant with our large group ranging in age from 6 to over 70. The perfect spot for a large gathering!

Stayed: August 2013, traveled with friends

Reviewed August 15, 2013

This is an eclectic, organic and quirky place consisting of a main house composed of 3 bedrooms/3 bath/2 lofts with a separate room and bath below on the water with gorgeous unobstructed views and direct access to the beach which is filled with clams and oysters. Near the house are several self contained cabins. We have rented many places in the Quadra/ Cortes Island area and this is the best value in the area for the dollar and is a fun and friendly place. Linda the owner and resident artist is lovely, interesting and a bit eccentric and the property has been in her family for 60 years. The proximity to the grocery and liquor store, Herriot Bay Pub & Hotel and Marina makes its location second to none. A previous reviewer commented on the difficulty for older renters however we had no difficulty with the property and I am 60+ and my husband is 70+. I am a bit of a clean freak so I puttered around moving and sorting the assortment of nic nacs in the house but enjoyed the trail of discovery. We had a wonderful stay here with our family and friends.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank dawnph
Reviewed April 13, 2013

I remember this as the worst experience in my life. I am not a demanding traveller, and at that time I was woofing along Canada, so I was not pretending to be in a 5 star and I was used to hostels and rural accomodations. The first thing I thought was that I had mistaken the place. It was a real junkyard. The Jacuzzi you can see on the pictures was lying empty in the garden. We stayed at the boathouse. Dirty, no bath facility, to shower you had to cross the complicated greenery. The wc was a wooden covered hole in front of the house, with no doors or privacy, just in front of the seaside. And most annoyng of all, no one came to greet us (the owner was not there, even though she knew we were arriving) and a guest showed the place to us. And worst, when we had to leave, she was still not there. We searched for her for half an hour to be able to pay and in the end we sent her a cheque via mail some days later. But just because I'm too honest. Ah, and there's absolutely nothing around, completely isolated. The only "good" thing was the ocean and the beautiful nature around us.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Peachy82
Reviewed October 1, 2012

OK- this is a difficult one to review. First of all the location is out of this world and made up for the minor drawbacks. We had a wonderful deck almost on the ocean with the most incredible view. When we booked on line with booking.com we were told we would have a ktchenette in a separate cabin but when we got there we had a room in the main house and use of the communal kitchen.
We did not see the owner but a very nice young couple greeted us and made us fel at home. However it did feel more like we were staying as house guests rather than anything else. The room was nice enough, if a little quirky, with a huge bath actually In the room but felt a little cramped. Also the door didn't shut properly so not very private!
The grounds looked ramshackle at first but we decided they were just full of character.
We felt OK getting our own breakfast in the kitchen, though there wasn't much room for us in the fridge but felt awkward about cooking there or using the sitting room as everyone was about a third of our age! (Not their fault of course but we just felt more comfortable eating out) You can eat out at the Heriot Bay Inn just down the road. It was very dark finding our way back (no lights). On the first night we asked for the fairy lights outside to be left on but on the second night it was completekly dark and we didn't have a torch and there are tricky steps. It was exceptional value for money and if you are young or single and prepared to muck in I think it would be a great place to stay and meet people. It was just a bit unusual for us old conventional types! To sum up: good value, FABULOUS location but be prepared for something out of the ordinary. If you want luxury and a conventional room this may not be for you

Room Tip: Mkae sue you ask which room you are getting and what the facilities are as we were told we had a kit...
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 1, 2012

I love this place. I could sit and enjoy the view all day, rain or shine. You can't stay closer to the ocean and still be on land. Linda is a generous host, and she took good care of us, making sure we were happy in the cottage and helping us enjoy the best of Quadra and Cortes.

Room Tip: The cottage is best: spacious open plan, fully equipped including a piano, and a broad deck right ab...
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 10, 2012

We stayed in the Boat House for two nights. It was a cute little get away. Simple, one-room accommodation. Photos on their website were very accurate. There is no bathroom - but rather an outhouse / outdoor shower. I would describe the place as quirky. Not especially accessible if you have any mobility issues. For the price it was a great value. Definitely not 5 star, but if you go in with appropriate expectations you will love it.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 28, 2012

I stayed at the Heron House for a few nights before and after my kayaking tour, and I loved it! It is such a cute house with lots of personality, and I felt immediately at home. Linda was a great hostess, and offered pick me up from the ferry terminal. Everyone at the Heron House was so warm and welcoming, it made my first solo trip all the more memorable. I stayed in the dorms - the view of Heriot Bay from bed in the morning was beautiful! Definitely recommend this for anyone looking to stay someplace different and still feel completely at home. :)

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled solo