“Wonderful getaway”

Tsa-Kwa-Luten Lodge
Reviewed May 7, 2013

What a place for a quick getaway. Amazing building and grounds. The meals were fine, well presented and well prepared. The outstanding memory is the staff. We have nothing but good things to say about them all.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple

Reviewed March 29, 2013

We stayed in a cottage (403). It was clean, well equipped and we thoroughly enjoyed the peace and quiet. There was one downside - the queen size bed in one of the rooms. It is an old spring type bed with a very soft mattress, so two people end up rolling to the middle, and every movement one makes is felt by the other person. Oh dear, what a nightmare. I would urge the resort to replace the bed ASAP. I have no idea what the beds are like in the other cottages. Another suggestion I would make is to build a firepit for each cottage so quests can sit outside in the cool evenings.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank addysett
Reviewed March 20, 2013

This place is great! We were very surprise by the dimension of the room. Three queen size beds over two floors for two people! Balcony with a great view facing Campbell River. At the sunset it was priceless! The hall of the hotel is a piece of art. It is just bright and full of sofas where you could take the time to admire the sea. Last but not least, the food. Of course delicious fresh fish! The gym is a little poor but with all the beatuy around one does not have to lock himself in the hotel.
Just to find something negative: perhaps a little expensive.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 29, 2012

Using a discount coupon, we stayed 2 nights (3 days) at Tsa Kwa Luten Lodge on Quadra Island in the main lodge. The worst things about the Lodge: the linens (pilled and poor quality); the lack of staff (end of season) and the continental breakfast (sparse). The best things: nice little patio outside the ground floor rooms, with stunningly BEAUTIFUL views, lots of wildlife, peace and tranquility, the lobby/games room set up for your entertainment, bicycles available, lots of sports (bocce, archery and more),,,
But the food. Well, that deserves a whole set of other comments.
We ate two dinners at the Lodge and were just sorry we couldn't stay longer! The first night I had the crab/shrimp avocado salad "starter" as my main meal. It was fabulous and just the right amount for a light meal. Two of our group had the mussels, and mentioned that if there had been fewer people around they might have lifted the bowl to lick it out. The mussels were perfectly cooked, plump and juicy, and the garlicky sauce was excellent. Another comment on that first night was that the ribs were very good (though a bit pricey, we thought). Breakfast was sparse for the $10 charge, really - although we were told that there used to be a hot breakfast (too bad, we would have ordered that!) Toast, cereals, juices, coffee, yogurt, fruit, buns, oatmeal, that's about it. Then night two supper - again excellent. I had the mussels and agreed that they were the best I'd ever tasted. I believe there's a mussel farm on Cortez that these come from - local, fresh and spectacular! Quadra is a great island to visit - especially if you like the outdoors, hiking, walking, biking etc. The Aboriginal Museum on the island (we have been before a few times) is DEFINITELY worth visiting! Rebecca Spit is a lovely BC Park. We will return to Tsa Kwa Luten - the cottages look very interesting too!
There are no televisions in the room -- but a TV room downstairs along with massage, and hot tub. Unfortunately on our last morning we wanted to watch a short DVD and had to hook up the machine, then discovered there was no remote available. There were a few technicalities like this that we decided were likely because it's the end of their busy season. Despite these small problems, I would stay again, in a second!

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank ComoxDiver
Tsa-Kwa-Luten, General Manager at Tsa-Kwa-Luten Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded November 23, 2012

Thank you for your kind comments and the areas of our operation that need improvement. I will certainly be talking to our housekeeping department to ensure unacceptable bedding is immediately discarded. We have discontinued the continental breakfast and you can be sure in the future that a hot breakfast will indeed be available. Unfortunately, it is sometimes difficult to balance the overstaffing and understaffing ratio. We obviously erred during your stay for which we are sincerely apologetic. We are pleased that you enjoyed your stay and we will look forward to your return. The management and staff of Tsa-Kwa-Luten Lodge is committed to providing you with first class accommodation, food and service.

Reviewed October 10, 2012

My husband and I stayed here for a weekend in Oct., 2012. The locaton and setting are beautiful - hard to miss on Quadra Island. We discovered late on our first night that our bathroom had not been cleaned (obvious upon lifting the lid to the toilet and it was not pretty). As it was quite late by this time and we were both in our pj's we waited unitl the next morning to report this to the front desk. I was very discret as I didn't want other guest to hear - but I have to say that it didn't even seem to bother the front desk clerk. Her reply was simply "ok I will get someone to reclean it". Not "we're very sorry, how can we make it up to you, nothing". I was very disappointed. After staff had "recleaned" the bathroom I noticed that behind the toilet was still a makeup pad left over from the previous guests! I couldn't believe it, even 2 cleans couldn't find that! I won't ever return as a clean bathroom goes a long way and there are a lot of beautiful places to stay on and around Vancouver Island. We also found an earplug against the wall in the main room - not good staff, not good at all. The work out room is a joke also.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank KenN205

I am writing to sincerely apologize for the complete lack of attention that our staff displayed prior to and during your stay. I can assure you, these are not the standards we have set forthe nor the level of cleanliness that I expect from our housekeeping staff. I also apologize that you were not pleased with the exercise equipment. We have a strict policy that each and every guest needs to leave our property happy. I would really like you to email me at cat@capemudgeresort.bc.ca so that I can make this up to you. You having left vowing not to return is not acceptable. I will look forward to hearing from you. Thank you and kind regards, Carol Ann Terreberry

Reviewed October 7, 2012

This lodge is spotlessly clean and on the beautiful peaceful Quadra Island.
The fall weather made it breath taking. Looking out to the ocean and mountains from
the suite and outside patio makes it the best place to stay for a little r&r.
I would highly recommend this place.

Room Tip: I think that any room in this hotel is good, because it is very quiet.
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Jenny B

Thank you for your kind comments. The management and staff are Tsa-Kwa-Luten Lodge are truely committed to providing our guests with first class accommodation, food and service. Kind Regards, Carol Ann

Reviewed September 28, 2012

Well I must say that this is THEEE best deal I have come across for holidays on Vancouver Island- or any small Island. We've stayed in the main lodge(yes Loft rooms are great for 3 folks), the Wharf house (superb) and the cottages- so freshly close to the water and finally this year we took our truck/camper to Tsa-Kwa-Luten camp ground with friends from the Yukon. Where else can you have heated washrooms with hot showers, FREE laundry & a local phone for your use! The staff are warm, friendly and share their native culture if you engage in conversation.They are so very respectful as well. The ambiance is serene, calming and spiritual if you like. Activities are family/friends and couple oriented. No smoking on balconies is so thoughtful! The food is amazing and plentiful with yummy veggies and the view with the lights of Campbell River twinkling in the distance surreal. You frequently have amazing views of Cruise Ships as they float by- AKA floating hotels or cities. Your senses will be renewed, enjoy the outdoor hot tub in all types of weather as it is protected , the sauna (with a view window) and to top it off the swinging love seat : ALL with a front row seat to enjoy mother nature at her finest.Over the years all of my family and friends that I've taken or introduced to the Lodge have been impressed & continue to return as I always will. Janet & crew.

Room Tip: Wharf house, cabins & lodge rooms.
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank JanetK202

Thank you for your kind comments, they are very much appreciated. The management and staff truely are committed to providing our guests with first class accommodation, food and service. Kind Regards, Carol Ann

Also consider these accommodations in or near Quadra Island
#3 of 16 in Campbell River
April Point Resort & Spa
April Point Resort & Spa
#1 of 2 in Quathiaski Cove

Been to Tsa-Kwa-Luten Lodge? Share your experiences!