“Very disappointing”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Pender Island
Shangri-La Oceanfront Bed and Breakfast
canada
“Very disappointing”
Reviewed November 13, 2010

For what we paid ($250/night), the Shangri-La was a complete disappointment. The room we had was sad (Baker View Room), the decor throughout the B&B is kitsch and tired looking, the decks were worn and in need of some care. Yes the views are fantastic and having your own hot tub was brilliant, but the over all experience was terrible. We felt ripped off and were insulted by the lackluster treatment we received.

The hostess was unprofessional and has no skill at making people feel welcome. On our second night her sister was visiting and was drunk and loud upstairs. We had to ask them to be quiet twice. There was no compensation or genuine apology given; just an excuse that her sister has kids and doesn't get out much. This did not make us feel better.

The breakfasts looked nice but were bland as bland can be. Obviously she's gone and bought cute breakfast making accessories from one of the many kitchen craft order magazines lying around the B&B but there is no attention to taste. We were disappointed and we are not really picky people. Our comments in their guest book were critical (but I think objective) and we were not at all surprised to find other negative reviews from previous guests.

The owners probably took over an existing B&B and have no experience in customer service and culinary art. I would advise finding another establishment.

• Stayed December 2009, traveled as a couple
3 Thank googlywoogly
Shangri-La-BB, Owner at Shangri-La Oceanfront Bed and Breakfast, responded to this review, November 16, 2010
None of my rooms rent out for $250 a night even in high season. The Baker View room rents at $155 per night in December. My sister who lives a considerable distance away does not have any children and was not even on Pender Island in Dec/09. In turn there were no complaints in person or in the guest book. All comments in my guest book declare in more ways than this, "Thanks for great food and for making us feel so welcome." In fact the Baker View room was rented only once in Dec/09 to a couple who had the Bed no Breakfast special at $99 per night. Current photos can be viewed on my website and can be given personally if asked.

I believe this to be a fraudulent review and is currently being investigated.

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
Victoria, Canada
Reviewed October 25, 2010

The views are stunning! Rooms are clean and very private. Fridges in room are a plus. Each room has a private hot tub. The owner Janet knows Pender island quite well and sent us to some lovely places like Mortimers spit. Our room even had a gas fireplace which kept our room warm on a cold rainny evening. Very enjoyable, my wife and I will return. Jon & Lois

• Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple
Alberta, Canada
Reviewed May 14, 2009

We stayed 3 nights at this B & B and could not think of one thing to complain about!! It is perfect...the room was nice (we stayed in the Lost in Space room)..the view absolutely breathtaking, the breakfast was delicious...Room had a fridge, microwave, tv, gas fireplace, a beautiful deck outside with a gas barbeque..and an inviting hot tub to check out the view..The owner Janet went out of her way to be hospitable and even made us reservations for dinner..You must check this place out should u visit Pender Island..We intend to again and again i hope!!

• Stayed April 2009, traveled as a couple
Denver
Reviewed August 3, 2007

The Shangri-La has a great location and view, but it just needs some attention. It is worn and tired and not really ready for guests looking for comfort and something special. Consider Sahalli next door or Oceanside instead. Delia's is worth considering for the view alone - and the private hot tub is nice. But...

• Liked — the view
  • Disliked — general feel of the place itself
  • Stayed July 2007, traveled as a couple
1 Thank sevenmile
Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed December 3, 2005

I was very pleased with my choice to stay at Delia's. Had I had known prior that the B&B was this breathtaking, I would have come sooner. The view, the food, the rooms, the staff, excellent. I will come again soon. Thank you Delia for such a lovely and memorable holiday week.

• Stayed September 2005
3 Thank Van589
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed August 1, 2004

I have stayed at Delias Oceanfront B&B over 5 times in the last year and have had the honour of staying in all three wonderfully spacious rooms. Of all three, I would highly recommend the Lost in Space (aka Star Trek Room) or the Islands View, as they are the BEST rooms in the entire Shangri-La. I can not start to discribe these awesome views. All I can say is ocean, ocean, ocean. You are surrounded by a 360 degree paradise which will keep me coming back all year round. The view, the birds, the whales and the island views are always better in person, you just have to be there. Not to mention the exquisite, first class breakfasts. Yes, they actually give you a choice of what you would like and this is a rare kind amoungst the B&B's. Trsut me, you will fall in LOVE.

• Stayed September 2003
#4 of 9 in Pender Island
Mayne Island Resort
Mayne Island Resort
#1 of 2 in Mayne Island

Been to Shangri-La Oceanfront Bed and Breakfast? Share your experiences!