All reviews the pub steam cave poets cove resort hot tub the cottages dining room off season beautiful location bedroom cottage get away coffee shop bad reviews amazing views steam room great spot long weekend marina
Selected filters
Reviewed April 3, 2019

I came to Poet's Cove the last weekend of March with four other friends. We were celebrating a birthday, which we let the front desk know. They didn't offer any extras, not that this was necessarily expected - just so you know. I was not the one who made the booking but we all stayed in the same cottage for the duration of the weekend.

We booked through Groupon for a private cottage for two nights. The cottage was advertised as having Wifi, cable, a "fully stocked" kitchen, and a private hot tub. The photos on the website looked beautiful, the décor looked modern.

The first thing I noticed upon arrival was that the photos on the website looked nothing like the cottage we booked. It seemed much smaller, much less modern. For the price of the hotel, I expected soft, poofy bedding. Instead, the bedding was cheap, scratchy, and old. The sheets were yellowed and literally had holes in them, the duvet was thin and cheap feeling. With hard, embroidered pillows, it felt like staying at my great-great-aunt's house.

When we arrived, the WiFi did not work. We were told to use a neighbouring cabin's WiFi, which did not reach our cottage. After a day of using our data and another call to complain, they realized they had not even put a router in our cottage, and they had to come install one. The couch sofa bed was covered in crumbs and had not been cleaned - our guest sleeping on the sofa bed was told to "sleep on top of it" couch-style. We did not pay to couch surf.

The hot tub became cold after a few hours, and did not warm up for the entire rest of the weekend. We were told by a maintenance man that the neighbouring cottage's hot tub had been prepared for our enjoyment. Well, it turns out there was someone STAYING in the neighbouring cabin that was none too happy about that. And, additionally, it was so dirty that I wasn't able to stomach staying in it - dirt, bugs and HAIR floated up all around me.

The "fully stocked" kitchen included one pot, one pan, three wine glasses, two robes, only two towels in the main bathroom (this cabin is supposed to house six).

Over the course of the weekend we had to make so many calls to the front desk (not all of which were even answered, or were answered rudely and unhelpfully) that it put a damper on the entire trip.

At the end of the trip we were so upset with the service that we waited around to speak with a manger. She said that because we were Groupon customers, they would not offer any form of compensation on our current stay - she offered us a discount if we came back during peak season. Given our stay, we were not comfortable coming back. We ended up being offered $20 each off brunch at the restaurant. At the restaurant, our bill still ended up being exorbitantly expensive, and they would not show us our bills - they wrote down our totals on one piece of paper. I should say that the manager was very nice, but the compensation offered in my eyes was unacceptable, given the circumstances.

I understood before arriving that not all the facilities would be open, but I was not expecting that the facilities that *were* open would have maintenance coming and going. Because our own hot tub didn't work and the neighbour's hot tub was ~surprisingly occupied~, we went to use the resort hot tub. We found this was, as well, quite cool, the jets didn't appear to properly work, and there were maintenance people loudly talking and installing a camera directly next to us, a ladder not in use directly in the way of the view. All in all, the resort was simply not ready for people to be there.

I understand that we came during the off season, and that we got a discount, but it was still very expensive and we were still paying to stay at what was supposed to be a four star resort. It was embarrassing, disappointing, and I will not be coming back. If you're going to come here, absolutely do not come on a Groupon, where you will apparently be treated like a second class guest, and don't bother coming in the off season.

The views and the resort in general were still very beautiful.

• Trip type: Traveled with friends
2  Thank muchocapitano
Poets Cove S, General Manager at Poets Cove Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded April 8, 2019

We're sorry to hear you had so many issues during your stay. As we are just getting ready for the season, not all cottages and villas are available. They differ in size and amenities as well. We'll share your feedback with our staff.

Reviewed March 19, 2019 via mobile

Was a little unsure about booking this property due to some fairly bad reviews but glad we did as we had a really great weekend here! Property itself is very well kept and impressive upon arrival and location is outstanding. Views beautiful! Lobby area massive and gorgeous. We had a king lodge room and although there was some staining on the carpets and previous guests had basically ruined the desk in the room by leaving massive water marks on it, I felt room was very clean. Could have used a bit better dusting on chair legs and shutters into bathroom but as they have just reopened for the season, areas easily missed by housekeeping. Bed was fine although the pillows have to go! Lumpy and very uncomfortable. Balcony and furniture out there was very comfortable, although it's march, weather was beautiful and we spent some time out there. As it's early in the year, only one pool and hot tub were open and the fine dining restaurant was closed. Did not use the pool so cannot comment on that although it looked nice. The pub was open and we ate there each night. Pender in general is VERY limited for restaurants and I have no idea what we would have done for dinner if Syrens wasn't open!! Food unfortunately all 3 nights was very average. Almost below average. Drinks and service were excellent though and the space is nice. We were offered two complimentary drinks one evening as our food was taking a long time to arrive. We thought that was above and beyond and much appreciated! Very impressed by that. We had a massage at the spa and found the spa itself very calm and clean and the technicians very nice. I had a hot stone massage and LOVED it. Great experience. My boyfriend had a massage too but said there was no pressure whatsoever and he was very disappointed in his appointment. Spa Hot tub after was very nice too, view of the water lovely. Steam cave had broken down before we arrived so didn't get to use that but they have a brand new infrared sauna for guest use instead. Every single person we talked to or encountered at this resort was kind, friendly and helpful. I cannot say enough about the staff! Overall, we had a really great stay and would definitely return. If the food in the pub had been better and the housekeeping had been a bit more meticulous regarding dust, I would have given it 5 stars.

Date of stay: March 2019
Trip type: Traveled as a couple
2  Thank Rochelle T
Reviewed March 17, 2019 via mobile

This place was worth the trip from Vancouver. Very beautiful and relaxing location. We had a great time and was well taken care of by the staff here, super accommodating and helpful. The spa was perfect and highly recommend it when you visit here. You can tell the place is run by top notch people. Thank you

Reviewed February 18, 2019

Beautiful atmosphere and comfortable cottage. The staff were extremely helpful and friendly. We visited during the winter months which was there off season so some amenities were not available but still a highly enjoyable experience.

Date of stay: February 2019
  • Trip type: Traveled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
Poets Cove S, Manager at Poets Cove Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded February 20, 2019

Thank you for sharing your experience! Despite being our winter season, Pender Island offers a wonderful, tranquil escape from the city. Hope to see you in the summer!

Reviewed January 3, 2019

Firstly, my heart goes out to residents of Pender Island and the hard hit Gulf Islands. A massive windstorm just before Christmas caused significant havoc to the region and repairs are ongoing.

We were originally booked over Christmas with an Air B&B but had to cancel due to the storm and resulting damage. Once Poets Cove had their phones back up, we booked a cottage for the NY weekend.

Staff on site (3 of them?) did the best they could to accommodate all the NY guests.

Previous reviews reveal no secrets: the property may simply be another offshore asset for foreign buyers who could care less about the property and these reviews. It's abundantly clear they want to spend the bare minimum possible to keep the place well staffed and in good repair. Again, staff who were on site did their absolute best to accommodate, especially in view of the windstorm damage.

Our cottage was well appointed; no complaints there. It was relatively clean but not to the standard we were expecting, especially at this price point. Again, I cite stretched resources. The cottage had a hot tub which I believe it ran on 110v. As a result, it didn't hold heat for very long once opened. I think we were in there for about 45 minutes and it dropped from 103 to 96.

The pool and steam room were open - which were both nice.

The restaurant was closed.

Beautiful views and a beautiful setting. Would I come back? Tough to say... I would like to see an uptick in positive reviews first. My only hope is their current owners can show a little decency and kick some money back into Poets Cove. Show it the love and respect it and Pender Island deserves.

Date of stay: December 2018
  • Trip type: Traveled with family
1  Thank Lagin_Vancouver
Poets Cove S, Manager at Poets Cove Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded January 4, 2019

Thanks for taking the time to share your comments. This last storm was tough on all of us, and we're thankful to BC Hydro and their hard working crews for everything they did. We're happy to hear you appreciate the beauty of the resort and we will provide your feedback to the management.