“We will not be going back”

April Point Resort & Spa
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Quathiaski Cove
Comox, Canada
“We will not be going back”
Reviewed September 3, 2010

The rooms were clean. Nothing is complementary except the water taxi. Not a service oriented environment so be prepared to wait and don't expect warmth and smiles from staff. I think there must be a morale problem because only 1 employee went out of her way to be warm and friendly. All others were polite, but nothing more. The food was good, not exceptional, $20 - $25 /plate. If you want to see Quadra Island, don't go there without a car because you will be trapped at the lodge. My husband has a back injury, so couldn't do any of the boat activities. When booking our rooms, I mentioned that we wanted to rent scooters and would double with our kids. When we got to the lodge, we were told we couldn't double. Our son 18 yrs old could not rent or ride a scooter because "the rule is you have to be 19". Many "rules" at this hotel. We rented 4 bikes, 2 of the 4 needed repair and there were no less than 8 pages of forms with signatures and initials to sign (no kidding!) That's the rule. One of the girls at the front desk was blatantly rude and unhelpful. A friend gave us a $25 coupon to use which the front desk accepted when we went to rent the bikes. When I asked why we didn't get credit for it, she said we hadn't given it to her. Then we were told that there was only one coupon per room. When we tried to explain that there was nothing on the coupon that stipulated "only one coupon per room and not transferable", the girl just spoke loudly over top of my husband and me. Another rule. We never saw the coupon again. In the end and to salvage some of the trip, I took the water taxi back to Painters Lodge and brought the car back so we could at least see some of the island. I can't speak for the fishing experience but I did see people coming in with fish. People smoke everywhere and there are ashtrays all over the place. When we told the assistant manager that we would not be coming back again, she brushed us off. I guess they get so much business they don't needs ours. It cost over $1000 to stay for a 2 night stay, food and bike rental. I can think of better ways to spend that kind of money.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with family
4 Thank Critique101

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (75)
Van, BC
Reviewed August 8, 2010

Firstly, I just wanted to say that I always read Tripadvisor before we travel, but never write one, so I thought it was time.
A big thanks to Maggie at the reservation desk for Oak Bay resorts, she had great patience with me and helped me find the dates I was looking for for our little getaway. Also, when we arrived we were surprised with a beautiful upgrade to our room, again thank you!
We were only there for two nights, but had a beautiful suite overlooking the spa. The room had a very comfortable kind bed, beautiful bathroom, and sitting room with a mini fridge, and coffee/tea station. We spent most of our time however on the beautiful large deck with a great view of the ocean, and Campbell River. We did not take in any fishing, which is what this resort is famous for, but did see that the fish were certainly biting, and people were catching 25 lb Cohos...very nice! We did however rent kayaks for a couple of hours and enjoyed a relaxing paddle around the neighbouring bay, which is the only area you are allowed to kayak, because of the currents.
I visited the spa for a pedicure on the deck overlooking the water, a must do!! It was really nice, and very relaxing, thank you Shannon.
We ate in the dinning room twice for breakfast, and once for dinner. Out of everything with the resort this was my only disappointment, although I am very picky with food. I had eggs benny with salmon, with was good, but the potatoes were a little hard and oily. For dinner I had sushi, which was very good, but my husband had halibut, which was cooked nicely, but on the small side. I would have liked to see a little bigger menu, with maybe some more choices, and more local seafood, oysters, swimming scallops, shrimp. Now saying that the nice thing about this resort is that you can water taxi for free anytime over to Painters Lodge (partner resort) in CRiver, to eat at any of their 3 restaurants, as well as using the facilities, like their pool and hot tub, something we didn't do, because we were comfortable relaxing right where we were.
We would definitely go back, and next time get in some fishing.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple
Qualicum Beach, Canada
Reviewed July 31, 2010

April Point Resort is a wonderful place to end an island holiday with.

We stayed at this resort at the end of July 2010 as our last stop on a north island holiday with another couple. We called late in the day to book a room since we didn't decide to stay in this area until late in the afternoon.

We had a lovely room with a balcony with chairs and a table. Our friends were given the room next door. There was plenty of natural light in the room through the big windows which also opened for fresh air. The view of the inlet was beautiful and peaceful overlooking the marina. Our room was very comfortable - queen bed, sofa, fridge, coffee maker.

In the evening I went over to the restaurant to see if I could get some cream for our morning coffee in the room. We're not fans of the coffee mate that comes with the sugar packets. The staff in the restaurant was very friendly and efficient and gave me a big take-out cup of cream at no charge.

There is a spa on the premises that has a coupon in the room for a tour, free gift and a cup of their 'relaxing tea'. My friend and I went to the spa the next morning hoping to see the spa with a view to returning to this location for a 'girl's getaway'. The woman at the counter could barely spare the time to slide the small bars of soap across the counter to us. We were not offered the tour or the tea. So.....on our next visit we'll give this spa a pass and try another, perhaps in Campbell River. Too bad.

Otherwise, this was a delightful stop on our holiday. I highly recommend this location of a laid back getaway.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed June 19, 2010

April Point's attractive location overlooking the water was, paradoxically, responsible for an initial bad impression. We were shown to a huge and nicely furnished suite in the main building, but its damp, musty smell was almost overpowering. We rarely ask to change rooms, but this was one occasion when we did, giving up a king-size bed in favor of a queen-size in the process but dispensing with the evil smell. It's possible that the date of our arrival--not long after the resort had opened for the season--had something to do with this problem; rooms were presumably shut up for a long time. Nonetheless, the indifferent desk clerk (possibly the only indifferent person in this very friendly part of the world) acted like she'd never heard of such a problem before. Our new room--in a newer building and more recently decorated--was a huge improvement, with a large balcony overlooking the inlet and views of seals occasionally passing by. "Resort" is a bit of a misnomer here--this is more of a largeish inn with spacious grounds and several buildings--but there's a handsome new Aveda spa on the premises, a pleasant dining room (which we didn't try), and a leisurely atmosphere. Staff, other than at the front desk, seemed to go out of their way to be friendly. Not a perfect effort, but a decent place to stay on pretty Quadra island, which is well known for art galleries and a nice little getaway during a visit to Vancouver Island, its much larger neighbor.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 16, 2009

This resort saved our trip. We were booked at another motel near the ferry docking and it just wasn't the island setting I had imagined. I called April Point and got one of their last rooms at an excellent rate. We ended staying an extra night to make 4 nights. It is not in Campbell River but on Quadra Island, a 10 minutes ferry ride. We had our car and drove all around. Make sure to visit Rebecca Spit Provincial park. The kids loved the rocky beach and rolling the big logs in the water and playing with them. There were lots of people enjoying this park. We also drove north and swam in a fresh water lake that was refreshing and simply breathtaking in the scenery. The great staff at April point directed us and were great hosts.
The accomodation is not high end luxery, but it is very clean, comfortable and offers great views. The food at both April Point and Painter's lodge (it's owned by the same company and you can access by a 10 minute boat ride that leaves every 30 minutes) was great. We saw a pod of killer whales come up the discovery strait while eating dinner at Painter's Lodge. We saw seals and bald eages at April Point. I can't think of a bad thing to say. Very small kids might not have a lot to do, but ours were 8 and 11 and loved it.
My husband went fishing which is very popular and loved the experience.
I would stay here again in a second if I was every lucky enough to come back to this incredible part of Canada.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled with family
North of England
Reviewed August 4, 2009

Coming from UK - still a bit jet-lagged and needing to get away from work stresses this place was perfect.
We stayed for two days and didn't go fishing ... and that's all there was to do apart from the spa which we didn't fancy so we did nothing - absolutely nothing - and it was fab.
Having said that our 'nothing' was based on a bit of exploring by car - do take one - we found an almost deserted beach on Rebecca Spit and whiled an afternoon strolling, exploring the washed-up creatures and driftwood and dipping in the waters.
If you get the chance - go.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled as a couple
victoria
Reviewed June 14, 2009

the april point tesort is absolutely amazing. We stayed in their cabins right on the ocean. The accommodations were excellent with all ameneties. The staff were excellent from the first time you step onto the dock;during checking in and out until you leave the dock to return to Painters Lodge. The food was excellent along with the service. The waiters and waitresses were very freindly and accommodating and made our dining a real pleasurable experience. All in all i did not find anything bad to say about the whole experience at April Point and would recommend it to all my friends and would return in the future.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled with friends
#1 of 9 in Quadra Island
Sonora Resort
Sonora Resort
#1 of 1 in Sonora Island

Been to April Point Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!