“If the rating was just based on the fishing i'd give it a 5/5 but...”

April Point Resort & Spa
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Quathiaski Cove
Reviewed September 10, 2008

I would really love to say april point resort did not disappoint at all but i can't. Let me start though by saying that the fishing excursion we went to april point for was AWESOME!!! This was my first time doing anything like this and to other women out there unsure if they would enjoy let me encourage you to give it a go. Our guide Dean took us out in the boat at 7am. We sped away from the resort at what felt like top speed, both my husband and I trying desperately to hold our clothes, hat, hair in place. We soon realized we just had to go with it and let loose as we flew over the water for the next hour or so. On the way out to open water we passed harbour seals frolicking in the water and once we reached our destination our guide thru some of the fish bait up in the air to encourage a nearby bald eagle to swoop in near the boat to get his breakfast. WOW! I can't rave enouph about the wildlife. I did catch a salmon in the first 2 minutes i had my line in the water but unfortunately it had to be thrown back as it had not been clipped (didn't get a lot of details but the BC govt is working to restock the water with native salmon so when they release the fish some are marked and some aren't. Those that aren't need to be released after being caught) What that means for us tourists is that even if you catch the big one you may have to part with it.... much to my chagrin:( I had two more bites but lost both of those. After a couple hours without a catch we had to go back but our excitement wasn't over. We caught a glimpse of a couple of porpoise dolphins and .... this was my highlight...DOLPHINS.
The dolphins swam along side the boat, leaping out of the water. It was truly AMAZING!!... I am even feeling the adrenaline from the experience surface as I write this. I will tell you what I told Dean. I am HOOKED!!haha.

So keeping in mind what a great experience we had with that, you can understand why i had difficulty rating April lodge at a 3/5. Here is why i did.

The Room

Very Basic. I expected it to be basic but it was a little more rustic than I was wanting. No screens in the windowns so for those of you who like fresh air at night just be forewarned you open the windows at your own risk. We did and ended up having some pesky little mosquitos to deal with.

Also, the bed was one step up from sleeping on a wood board. We were glad to have to get up at 6 am that first morning just becasue the bed was sooo... bad.

The upside is they do supply quite nice products in the bathroom.Also, I am not sure if they do this for atmosphere or what but the water smelt just like fish. Very Weird... I know. I didn't care that much but some are more sensitive to smells than others so i mention it as a heads up.
There is a TV for those who like to doze in front of it as they fall asleep.

It also seemed that the spa nickled and dimed a little. We mistakenly asked for a relaxation massage instead of a theraputic as the latter was quite a bit more expensive(unusual from what I have seen fromother spas). I say mistakenly because the woman that gave me my massage (I am sorry i can't remember her name) applied almost no pressure,just a light skimming over the skin. When she asked how the pressure was I reponded she could go a little bit deeper. She agreed but NOTHING was changed in what she was doing. I tried to relax about it but it got ridiculous when I realized she was sqeezing the tips of my long hair. I can't even feel the tips of my hair so I don't really understand what she was doing. All in all a disappointment.

Finally, when we asked how long it was to walk to town we were told 40 minutes. We decided to walk in for our last morning on the island to get breakfast. The staff recommended a place to go. Now, it was a Sunday morning so we didn't question it being open but after the long walk we arrived to a closed sign. ARGH! Thank goodness there was a cafe called the AROMA CAFE that we had passed on the way there that was open and may I add had a variation of 3 different types of egg benny. We had the smoked salmon and it was delicious. So my only concern here was staff sending people out, especially when they were on foot, to a closed restaurant. I would expect it being such a small Island that staff would know this place was closed just through experience or even a reference binder most hotels keep on hand for restaurants/ attractions in the area.

So, I come to the end of my review. Hope it helps in deciding if this is the place for you. If you are unsure i would say put up with the annoyances and go for it. The nature and fishing experience is all I plan on remembering anyway!!!

Finally,

Stayed: September 2008
1  Thank Elisa7

Reviewed August 3, 2008

My husband and I just spent two days at April Point Lodge on Quadra Island as a mini summer holiday. It's a fairly expensive place to stay, but worth the price in peace and quiet and the absolutely beautiful location.
We left our vehicle at Painter's Lodge in Campbell River (owned by the same company) and took the shuttle ferry across. It is very convenient, running back and forth all day long and well into the evening. Only 10 min. trip.
Our room was fabulous, with a large corner deck over looking the ocean and the beautiful spa. Everything was clean and comfortable and the staff at the front desk were very friendly and helpful.
We booked a fishing trip for the next morning and went off with our guide, who was a little strange, but certainly knowledgeable enough. We managed to catch a small salmon, which we ended up giving to the guide. It was a gorgeous day to be out on the water, and rain gear is provided in case the weather is not so great.
We had planned to rent scooters to cruise around the island but found the cost a little high. It would have been $140 for the minimum two hour rental for two of us. That was really the only glitch and I would recommend bringing a vehicle over instead of taking the shuttle as the island is very large and there is no way to get around unless you rent a taxi, or ride a bicycle (also available to rent at the lodge) We will be doing that next time.
The food at the restaurant was delicious and our after dinner drink out on the deck was just heavenly. The whole atmosphere is very relaxed and casual. I noticed a few children there and commented to my husband that it might not be so much fun for young children, as there isn't really much to do. There is no beach for swimming at the lodge, although there are swimming places on the island. Again, a vehicle would be handy.
All in all it's a lovely place to spend a couple of days. We will definitely go back for another visit.

• Stayed: August 2008, traveled as a couple
2  Thank dsnewtime
Reviewed August 10, 2007

My husband and I selected April Point based on the recommendation of Lise with the company that owns this resort. She was indeed correct in saying it was quiet and peaceful and gave us a very special rate for this time of year. Fishing was fun and very reasonable. It was even fun watching the seal steal our salmon! The passage between Quadra Island and Vancouver Island can sometimes be very choppy and whirly. Very unusual water patterns here. Many steps and ramps to negotiate, so not good for disabled travelers. The spa has the best view in the house. I recommend a pedicure on their porch so you can watch the boats, cruise ships, eagles, and water while you get some pampering. Fun to take the water taxi across to Painter's Lodge for the pub food, sitting on the decks and NOT facing the Western sun in the early evening. We were initially told NOT to bring our car over, but then you would have to see the island by scooter (which was fun)....but more to see in a car. So I would advise you to arrange your schedule to catch the ferry from Campbell River to Quadra Island during some of your stay. But it costs a bit more than just leaving in the parking lot at Painters Lodge. It is a bit of a pain to get the luggage from Painters to the dock, on the water taxi and then up some more ramps and steps to room at April Pt. Another reason to bring the car. Again...plan ahead when you have to leave the island if you use the ferry. Our room, very fishing lodge style, looked over the docks and a little cove. Nothing fancy, but did have a ceiling fan. We watched a pair of eagles each afternoon from our deck across the cove in the trees. Great areas to hike around there and don't miss seeing Rebecca Spit. Get a lunch to go at the little town from Lovin'Oven....great food there. No pool or hot tub here, but you can use the one at Painters Lodge. There is always a short wait for the water taxi to go there, but not bad at all. Mike, the bartender at April Point, was very informative and fun. The food is expensive there, but very good. They had a computer that was always available when I wanted it. No laundry facility but they will take you to their marina to do your wash if needed. This facility is not fancy and frilly.........but we really enjoyed the casual style here.

• Stayed: August 2007, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1  Thank tbcf
Reviewed June 13, 2007

My husband and I stayed at April Point May 20-24. We booked one of their package deals which included two days of fishing and one day for the wildlife adventure tour.

We had a choice of staying at either Painter's Lodge or April Point. Since we value our peace and quiet, we opted to stay at April Point. We left our car at the Painter's Lodge and took the free ferry over to April Point where we were placed in a newly renovated room overlooking the water. Naturally, the room was decorated in a fishing lodge theme. It was extra clean and very nice. The maid service was outstanding, too.

We enjoyed sitting on the balcony in the mornings and evenings and watching all the critters. There was a mink that would go down to the water every morning to bathe and roll in the kelp on the shore. There was an otter that would come out onto the dock in the evenings and clean and primp. There were seals galore who enjoyed looking up at us with curious eyes. Birds were everywhere, and we're so glad we brought our binoculars because we used them every day.

We ate at the dining room several times and, although pricey, the food and service were outstanding. The sushi bar never seemed to be open when we were there, so we didn't try it. We also ate at the pub at Painter's Lodge a couple of times. The service was excellent and the food was quite tasty, and the prices were reasonable. We also ate in Campbell River a couple of times during our trip, but the food at those restaurants wasn't especially memorable so I won't even bother mentioning them here.

During the two days of fishing, we ended up catching only one salmon. Our guide, Spanky (yep, that was his nickname!) was fabulous. He was funny and extremely knowledgeable. We were there early in the season and we were the only ones from April Point to catch a salmon during the time we were there. So, we felt pretty lucky.

The Wildlife Adventure Tour was awesome. The scenery was breathtaking. We saw black bears, deer, eagles, and so much more. It was definitely the highlight of our trip.

In closing, we were impressed with the service, accommodations, food and pretty much everything that the resort had to offer. Next time, though, my husband wants to go on one of the 'hard core' fishing trips to the Charlottes. We'll definitely use the Oak Bay Marine Group for that trip as well.

• Stayed: May 2007, traveled as a couple
2  Thank dmwalker
Reviewed July 7, 2006

We just spent four wonderful days at April Point Lodge. Our room had a wonderful view of the Discovery Channel and came with complimentary Aveda products. The Rosemary Mint shampoo really came in handy after our productive days of fishing. We highly recommend staying at April Point and taking advantage of all of their trips. We went on 3 salmon fishing trips and caught 6 large salmon. They can arrange to have it packed and shipped home to you.

If you go, don't miss out on the zodiac tours. We went on the rapids tour and it was fabulous. We saw bears, seals, sea lions, and too many bald eagles to count. The rapids are created by shifts in the currents and tides through narrow inlets which create waves and whirlpools. The kayaking around Quadra Island is awesome and April Point rents kayaks at their marine center.

The staff were friendly. This place gets highest marks in my book.

6  Thank adventuregrrl
Reviewed August 16, 2005

August 6th and 7th 2005
We've just returned from a travelling holiday through Alberta and British Columbia and can certainly recommend April Point resort for its location. Whilst its main custom comes from those wishing to fish we still found plenty to do. The sea kayaking was an excellent opportunity to see the marine life at close quarters. Unfortunately the bicycles we hired didn't have fully functional gears which made getting up some of the hills hard work! Had we been staying longer we would have taken our car over on the ferry rather than park it up at April Point's sister resort Painter's Lodge and taken the free boat for guests.
Although the chalets have a rather basic look to them they are spacious enough with super views over the water and sightings of bald eagles and seals a plenty.
The restaurant whilst very busy on our first night provided us with an excellent meal with very good service. Daily fish specials are a feature of the establishment as well as a good range of cocktails!!!
We didn't get a chance to sample the pleasures of the new spa - perhaps next time! We had originally intended to book into Painter's Lodge and were disappointed when we were told they were fully booked. In the end we feel it was to our advantage because we felt closer to nature on Quadra Island - in a quieter setting than the more family orientated Painter's Lodge.

5  Thank BerkshireStewarts
A TripAdvisor Member
Calgary, Alberta
Reviewed October 23, 2004

The accomodations were nice and clean. Our room faced the water and the helipad. Having the helicopter take off each morning was a great alarm clock.
I wouldn't recommend having sushi at April Point. I would sum it by saying it is very disappointing to the palate and to your wallet. The food and service at their sister lodge across the water is much better. However, they don't have sushi.
The guest services personnel are very courteous and helpful.

2  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
#3 of 16 in Campbell River
Whiskey Point Resort
Whiskey Point Resort
#2 of 2 in Quathiaski Cove

Been to April Point Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!