“Stunning, charming, breathtaking..........”

Ranked #1 of 4 Malahat B&B and Inns
Calgary, Alberta
“Stunning, charming, breathtaking..........”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 4, 2011

..and so on! Prancing Horse simply blew us away, from the moment we drove up the drive! The pictures on the website are exactly what greets you- you don't have to go searching for a spot to "get a good view". The rooms and home are truly warm, comfortable and oh so inviting. Not to mention Laura Lee and Wendy! Anything we needed was provided (and then some!) and we certainly didn't leave the breakfast table hungry or wanting more! Breakfasts were delicious and conversations were delightful! This place seemed like something from a storybook; gorgeous colours all over the grounds, unbelievable views and quaintness in every corner! A beautiful location, comfortable accommodations and genuine kindness from everybody made our stay at Prancing Horse one we will never, ever forget! When back in the area, there is no doubt...we will stay again! (Oh and of course, Annie! She was the first one to greet us and made us feel welcome immediately! Miss her already!)

• Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple
2 Thank loveoflifegal

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (19)
SF Bay Area
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 27, 2011

This was one of the best B&B experiences I've ever had! My husband and I stayed here recently as part of our honeymoon trip to British Columbia, and wished we could have stayed longer. The view was absolutely amazing! I am an extremely light sleeper, but could not understand the complaints about the noise from the road. We could not hear it at all from our room, and I slept better in their comfy bed than I had in a while. Personally, I loved that the inn was easily accessible to the main highway and only about 20 minutes from Victoria, yet seemed so isolated. We paid $180/ night for the honeymoon suite, which I thought was more than reasonable. A lot of B&B establishments I've visited have been quaint but not updated or luxurious; Prancing Horse was the perfect combination all these factors. Breakfast was brought out to us on the patio each morning: omelets, stuffed croissants, etc. Highly recommended; we will definitely be back!

• Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple
3 Thank bayareatraveler08
Victoria, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 4, 2011

My wife and young daughter along with another mother with her young daughter found themselves suddenly caught on the Malahat on their way to Victoria because of a tanker truck accident on the highway. With no place to go, darkness creeping in and two small children to care for, Prancing Horse came to the rescue! Elaine and her staff graciously welcomed our bedraggled travelers -even at a very late hour, put them up in beautiful and comfortable rooms and generally took great care of them.
Thank you for your outstanding last-minute hospitality, you really came through for us. Looking forward to enjoying a more relaxed and planned stay with my wife.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled with family
2 Thank Pipernate
Nanaimo, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 17, 2011

I was a little nervous after reading the other negative reviews but will usually give anything a try. I am so glad that we did. We were going to stay at the Malahat Mountain Inn for our 5 yr anniversary but when given a second quote and rudely dismissed I went on a search for something better.I found the Prancing Horse on the internet, saw the beautiful B&B and knew this was it! We showed up just after check in with a sign from Elaine (the owner) that told us exactly where to go. Then we met with Laura lee (the care taker) who showed us to our room right away. She showed us how things in the room worked. showed my husband the great selection of movies, asked us what time we would like breakfast and just overall was very friendly. She then left us to enjoy our time together. It was very comfortable being there and the #4 Luxury Suite was unbelievable. Perfect for anyone wanting a romance getaway. For dinner we went to a very nice restaurant in Shawnigan called "Steeples" a church that has been transformed into a restaurant it was really neat and the food was delicious. It was just the two of us when we returned. The soaker tub is big enough for two and they have a t.v mounted that you can turn to wherever you are in the room. Everything you would need is there. The views are breathtaking and you would not be disappointed. The breakfast we were served in the morning by Laura lee was above and beyond what we expected (fresh cut fruit, yogurt, granola, freshly baked croissants, tea coffee, orange juice and then to top it all off the best eggs benny we've ever had...and its my favourite so I've had it a lot. I believe anyone who stays here will love it just like we did...We cant wait to return. Thank you so much for everything!!!

• Stayed April 2011, traveled as a couple
2 Thank momme247
golden, bc
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 11, 2011

Do NOT give Prancing Horse Retreat or Timberline Lodge your credit card number or they will charge your card and refuse to reverse the charges - even if you never stayed there. Not only did I cancel my reservation 5 minutes after making it upon realizing that the space was not accommodating for the number of guests, I asked if there was a cancellation fee - Elaine said there wouldn't be a cancellation fee as it was only five minutes since I booked - She then proceeded to charge me for two nights accommodation and now refuses to reverse the charges indicating that she requires an imprint of my credit card for refund. When I contacted VISA they confirmed that this was not the case - I filed a dispute and hopefully the issue will be resolved.
The business integrity and ethics of the Prancing Horse Retreat and Timberline Lodge owners (Elaine and Al) are questionable and I highly recommend spending your money and nights elsewhere as business like this should not be supported.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled with family
5 Thank dixonGolden_BC
, Owner at Prancing Horse Retreat, responded to this review, April 26, 2011
The client booked and changed her mind. Unfortunately her credit card had been processed and my merchant service agreement does not allow me to refund unless I have swiped the card or have a imprint of the card. It is unfortunate but It is beyond my control. I asked the client to contact her credit card company and I called the merchant services to have them process the credit as soon as they receive the charge back notification. I tried to explain this but the client would not listen to me.
Seattle
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 10, 2010

We stayed at the Prancing Horse Retreat as one of four B&Bs on our honeymoon. We were looking forward to this B&B the most out of all of our stops on our vacation because of its claims to luxury and a gourmet breakfast, excellent hospitality etc.

We couldn't have been more disappointed, especially for the price we paid. It was almost three times the price of anywhere else we stayed and ranked dead last for breakfast. The owners are rarely there anymore as they are apparantly spending their time on another business venture; it shows. They had a friend looking after the place who was given no help or suggestions on WHAT to make us for breakfast or HOW to make it. The bread and juice was of the lowest quality. We were served a "Popeye Sandwich" for breakfast. With a side of toast. Essentially, eggs on toast with a side of toast. Breakfast took us about 10 minutes....not what we were hoping for at around $300/night (we had their nicest room).

For our second morning, we asked if there would be any change in the menu. The man said sure but hadn't a clue what that might entail so we suggested potatoes and bacon etc. He did cook some potatoes the next day with eggs, no meat again. There were leftover eggs and he said he'd save them for the other guests- who were eating an hour later than us! Yikes!

This poor man was incredibly kind and welcoming but clearly and we truly enjoyed his company, but he had never had to prepare breakfast for anyone before. And certainly not for guests who are paying $200+ per night for a room. I was feeling bad that the owners had not instructed him on what to serve. If he wasn't going to be making scones from scratch they could've at least told him where to buy some high quality pastries and juice. Quite an oversight and terribly irresponsible.

There were small things broken in the room- a light switch and a few other things that just made the place feel a bit forgotten about.

If you're looking for a place to stay, the rooms are comfortable and the view is beautiful and you get something to eat in the morning. If you are truly looking for a BED & BREAKFAST, as it claims to be....this is definetely not the spot.

Stayed May 2010, traveled as a couple
2 Thank thill62
Venice, Italy
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 14, 2010

I live in Asia and attempted to make a booking at the P.H.R for a dear friends wedding in August of 2010. To begin with the website booking service never worked on various attempts, so I emailed the owners to see if I could make a booking. After several emails back and forth for what should normally be a simple process, I made a booking in December '09 for three nights. At no point what so ever whilst emails were exchange was there any mention of any charge being put through, so when i saw one nights accommodation charged to my c/c I was quite astounded. It is normal practice to obtain authorisation to charge a potential customers c/c, especially after having obtained the details just to "secure" the booking. WHAT HOTEL CHARGES FOR A STAY 9 MONTHS IN ADVANCE?? After questioning this, i was told it is their policy to charge for the firsts nights stay. However AT NO POINT OF THE BOOKING PROCESS, WHICH HAD TO HAPPEN VIA EMAIL BECAUSE THE WEBSITE NEVER WORKS, WAS ANY OF THIS MENTIONED. To make matters worse once I discussed this with the owners and cancelled the booking, NO ATTEMPT WHATSOEVER WAS MADE TO REFUND THE CHARGE. I was guaranteed a refund, it never eventuated and 2 months later, after I had to contact them again, I was given some BS story about their bank not letting them make refunds. The biggest scam I have ever heard: their policy is to charge you for the first night stay immediately upon booking, but they don't refund, so even if you cancel and never stay there, YOU STILL GET CHARGED! To add insult to injury, Elaine was never at any point of the cancellation process helpful, honest or earnest, traits a person running their own motel should learn to possess. I have never ever came across worse service from a b&b/hotel/motel/resort anywhere in the world. Would not recommend it as a kennel.

• Stayed December 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank cgz1977
, Owner at Prancing Horse Retreat, responded to this review, May 27, 2010
I feel very bad that you are this upset with myself and business. You were unable to book on our online system and contacted me and I simpy marked down you credit card # and processed it for the one nite deposit as it states on our website. Then you contacted me and asked me to refund your credit card and still hold the room which would not be fair for me to do as this is our booking policy we have had for the past 12 years. I unfortunately was unable to refund your credit card as our merchant agreement states I must have a imprint of the credit card for all refunds, this has just changed due to all of the credit card scams. I asked you to contact your credit card company and they would issue you a credit. In no way did I try and upset you.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Malahat
Westin Bear Mountain Victoria Golf Resort & Spa
#2 of 4 in Malahat
Brentwood Bay Resort & Spa
Brentwood Bay Resort & Spa
#1 of 4 in Central Saanich

Been to Prancing Horse Retreat? Share your experiences!