“More than expected”

Ranked #6 of 76 Restaurants in Picton
Cuisines: Canadian
Good for: Romantic, Special occasions, Local cuisine, Business meetings
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Reservations
Description: Experience inspired County Bistro cuisine in an inviting and intimate setting. Chef Michael Sullivan combines his vast Toronto experience with his passion to feature the best of Prince Edward County The wine list comprises a representation of both fine wines of The County, international vintages, local beer, cider and spirits Seasonal outdoor dining is also available
Reviewed August 20, 2012

The Merrill Inn really has itself a gem in Chef Michael Sullivan. Our dinner was very good and the staff were wonderful. The Inn owner, Edward, made us feel at home and selected very good local wines for our pairings. Whenever I travel I really appreciate dining on local products and the Merrill Inn restaurant meal was significantly local. I also thought it was very good value for the quality and quantity of the food. I couldn't finish my main but that is not a complaint. I had cornish hen which I hesitate to order in restaurants as it is often overcooked and then gets tough. The cornish hen here was cooked perfectly. The skin was nicely seasoned and cooked crisp while the meat was tender and moist and not underdone. I also had the rabbit pate which is a favorite and it was delicious. PE County has become a food (and wine) destination and the Merrill Inn Restaurant and Michael Sullivan did not disappoint.

There are newer reviews for Merrill Inn

Reviewed August 12, 2012

We had 3 breakfast here and they were all great! The service was excellent (thanks Keeghan). We also had dinner here ! The menu was great but I went with the featured Veal Scallopini while my wife had the Steak. We were both extremely happy with the food as well as the service. I would recommend this place very highly !

Reviewed July 20, 2012

We literally just got back from dinner, and I'm fairly shocked at our experience, only with the owner, not the food/restaurant. I've never written a bad review, so not sure what to say. Our dinner tonight was pretty good. Our appetizers were grilled calamari, and a crab cake, both quite tasty. For the mains, my husband had tenderloin with crab on top, and I had duck breast. Both were good, maybe not unique nor modern, but fine. Our dessert was a chocolate tart topped with blueberries, which I liked a lot, and my husband thought was just ok, although it was a tiny portion. Here's where the problem started: This is a small town, and as we walked to this restaurant, I wasn't sure my feet in nice heels could handle another 10 minute walk back to our hotel (I know that's not far, as I go to the gym daily, but blisters from high heels are not fun!). Anyway, my husband asked the owner, Edward for a cab, and he told him it would be 10-15 minutes....and since that's the time it would take us to walk back, my husband said he would wait to see what I said (the wife is the boss?!). So as I came up a minute later, my husband explained the cab situation, and so I simply asked if it was a safe walk, and Edward said of course it was safe. I mentioned that we had seen some skateboarders and a few other things on the way to the restaurant at 8pm, and just was asking if was safe now at 10:20pm. I don't think he liked that, as he just kept asking if we wanted to cancel the cab. I said yes, please cancel the cab...and as we walked away, he mumbled "F#$% You!!" Seriously, I wasn't sure I believed what I heard, even though we both heard it clearly. I walked back to Edward and asked him if he had said anything, and once again for the 5th time he said "do you want me to cancel the cab?" So I simply asked him if he swore, and his answer was, for the 6th time "do you want me to cancel the cab?" He didn't answer my question. I think this is horrible. We go out to restaurants all the time, and travel a lot, and I've never, ever felt this strange and shocked after a meal. This place is not only a restaurant, but a B & B, and I would highly recommend NOT to go there, as this owner's actions were unforgiveable, and completely disrespectful. I come from a small town, originally, and now live in a big city, so I understand both worlds have potential safety issues at certain times of night, so I don't think what I asked was insulting in any manner. This owner owes me/us a huge apology. We're staying at the Manse Inn, and so far love it here!!! Has anyone else had this experience here?!

8  Thank Kenlor
merrillinn, Owner at Merrill Inn, responded to this reviewResponded August 7, 2014

This review is both fraudulent and slanderous and not worthy of a response.

The Merrill Inn is ranked by Tripadvisor amongst the top 25 small hotels in Canada for the last two years.

Edward and Amy Shubert
Owners
Merrill Inn

Reviewed June 28, 2012

We've eaten at the Merrill Inn over the past decade and each time we feel blessed to have such a place in Prince Edward County. The food is uniformly superb, beautifully presented, with the freshest of local ingredients. Michael Sullivan is a master chef, with great respect for the food he prepares. The menu changes sufficiently for us to enjoy our old favourites while at the same time being able to try new dishes. There is a good selection of local wines but imported wines are also available. The only quibble we have - as we are driving - is that the selection of half bottles could be greater.The restaurant is small and so reservations well in advance are suggested. But it's also elegant, with good service, and any review complaining about bad service puzzles us because we've experienced prompt and friendly waiters for years.

Reviewed June 28, 2012

A bit disappointed by the restaurant... Service not that great, a bit too many old ladies waitressing at night and young students in the morning.. a bit all over the place.... This is not the way they advertised their dining experience. We stayed for the week end and were given a picnic lunch that was horrifying. They need to get with the time and make a more upbeat and more original culinary experience... Suggestion: check the Carriage house restaurant for tips..