“Where is the fish ????”

Ranked #36 of 74 Restaurants in Picton
Montreal, Canada
“Where is the fish ????”
Reviewed July 19, 2012

We read other reviews and decided to try it. It was supposed to be great. Yes the fish is fresh but very greasy. The fish portion is very small for the price, it's the size of a woman's palm. A pile of fries was on the dish covering this small piece of fish. Cole slaw is not included. t
The clam chowder is very good, should of had 2 bowls of that instead of the pile of fries. For 2 people much to expensive for what you get. To top all it felt we bothered the waitress because she didn't bother giving us menus, it was another woman that came out of the kitchen and saw us sitting there that went to get menus for us. No smiles there, that's for sure. It could be because the AC was not working.

• Visited July 2012
2 Thank Lafontaine1956

Picton, Canada
“Okay”
Reviewed April 10, 2012

If fish and chips are your thing, then this is as good as you get. I'm just not a big fan, but would go there again.

Visited April 2012
1 Thank Joyce J
Picton, Canada
“Great place for fish & chips”
Reviewed March 18, 2012

I really like Schooners. Their halibut & chips are delish. I love their coleslaw & the fact that you can just order a half order of fries. The servings are large so I never have room for their pie.

“fish & chips”
Reviewed February 2, 2012

nice atmosphere and decor, great food, watching it made is nice, very friendly staff and owner

Ottawa, Canada
“Amazing fish and Chips”
Reviewed August 6, 2011

I travel to Picton at least once per year, and am always sure to stop here. This place has the best fish and chips I've tried in Eastern Canada, and I've tried quite a few. I usually get the Halibut and chips, but last time I had the Haddock and I think it was even better... will get that from now on.

This appears to be a family run establishment - the same person was cooking the fish as was there 3 years ago when we first visited. No doubt they've been doing it even longer than that. The table service is highly variable depending on who's working and how long they've been working - we've had fantastically attentive service twice, and the opposite of that two other times. If it's busy, you may have to wave someone down to be seated, and you pay at the cash - it's that type of casual place.

Needless to say, you don't come here for the service, but for the fantastic fish and chips. The batter is very light and crispy - almost melt in your mouth. The fish has always been very fresh and perfectly cooked - very moist. Fries to me are just old-fashioned style fries, but some of my friends have raved about them. They also make a very good "clam chowder", which is more of a seafood chowder - loaded with clumps of different kind of fish in addition to the clams.

I've tried many of the fine dining restaurants in PEC, yet this is the place I most look forward to visiting when I return the county.

• Visited August 2011