“The Ups and the Downs”

Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Prince Edward County, Ontario
“The Ups and the Downs”
Reviewed December 22, 2011

This restaurant is very hard to review because I have been there a twice and the first time it was absolutely incredible and the second time it was rather awful. The first time I was in a large group and we were served very efficiently by a very friendly waitress. The food arrived hot and fresh; we were never without water and wine, and everyone found their dish to be delicious! The second time it was a smaller group of six and the place was nearly empty, yet the food arrived cold, the waitress was rather sour, and we had to ask for more water twice before we got it. The egg's in my mother's dish weren't fully cooked! The atmosphere is lovely, if a little tired, and the view was very pleasant both times. A great restaurant that needs some work in remaining consistent from one visit to another. I hope it isn't going downhill; they have an amazing location in the County!

Ottawa, Canada
“Horribly disappointed”
Reviewed September 4, 2011

We went to the Restaurant on the Knoll because we had booked one of nearby beach house for the week. At first we were turned away because we did not have a reservation. We explained that we had booked a room at the resort and had just arrived and a more senior employee found us a seat, in the half empty restaurant. Not a good start.

Our waitress was friendly and chatty. We were seated on the veranda and had a wonderful view of the sun setting on the lake. Unfortunately those were the only bright spots. My appetizer, goat cheese with roasted garlic and a compote was tasty, but messy. The roasted garlic had to be squeezed out of the bulbs, and my hands smelled of garlic for a day. My husband was served a Caesar salad that was straight out of the supermarket salad bar. It contained baco-bits. enuff said.

My main was Chicken Supreme. Wasn't much that was supreme about this. The whole dish was uninspired and tasted mostly like a fried chicken cutlet. The "medley of vegetables" was just some unseasoned boiled carrots that had been allowed to dry out. There might have been other vegetables, but I honestly forgot that meal, the minute the plate was cleared away.

My husband ordered a steak. Their menu proudly claims "We are proud to present our new quality beef program, Knoll’s Finest Local Cuts. All of our steaks are cut in-house and specially selected raised beef". The steak was tough and flavourless. It has very obviously been previously cooked and reheated. It looked, smelled and tasted like leftovers. Our waitress later confessed that they no longer bought their beef locally due to supply constraint. Considering the steak we were served, I have to wonder if they now buy their meat in the bargain bin at Costco.

I ordered a dessert in order to linger at the table a little bit longer. A band was setting up and I was hoping against hope that some good music would redeem the poor dinning experience. I ordered cheese cake, figuring that even defrosted cheese cake is ok. So I wasn't surprised when that was exactly what I got.

The band started playing. All the grannies sitting in the front row of the restaurant-turned-concert hall seemed excited and clapped along, at least at first. Maybe they realized like us that the band was, well let's just say it was on par with the food.

At that point, we just settled our bill and ran away. Not far away enough unfortunately, as our beach house was only steps away and we got to hear the entire performance anyway.

So to conclude our story, we were hoping for a memorable experience, and all we got was a memorable bill.

• Visited August 2011
3 Thank Angelyne
Toronto
“Gorgeous view, horrible food”
Reviewed August 25, 2011

This was an unbelievably disappointing meal. The fish was over cooked to the point of shame. It was served with an uninspired rice (literally just parboiled rice) and a small side of stir fried vegetables. Spend the extra few dollars at Angelines in Bloomfield and get a gorgeous meal.

The children's menu is something to be ashamed of. My kids could barely believe the horrible pizza and chicken fingers. If I served that to my kids at home they would have cried.

• Visited August 2011
3 Thank Arlene V
Peterborough, Canada
“Nice spot, good food and service”
Reviewed August 1, 2011

We enjoyed our meal and the service was very good. Lovely spot - has a large enclosed veranda with a view of the water. Possibly a little high-end for families as far as the prices were concerned.

• Visited July 2011
1 Thank sh0rebird
Toronto, Canada
“Overpriced and horrible frozen food”
Reviewed July 11, 2010

We had brunch at the restaurant ($20 per person). Fish was definitely prepared from frozen. Presentation was disgusting. Table cloth is a dirty pink rag. You can tell from the mixed leaf salad that it must be a week old - wilted and dried up. Even the dessert is horrible. I am not sure how long the mixed berries cake has been kept in the freezer, but it was defrosted a while ago and the sponge cake on the bottom was soaked and wet. It is a shame considered the restaurant could have used ingredients from local farms.

3 Thank TO-Odyssey