“Bare Bones and that's ok!”
Review of The Queen's Inn

The Queen's Inn
Ranked #4 of 5 Hotels in Picton
Winnipeg
“Bare Bones and that's ok!”
Reviewed October 5, 2009

Went to Picton for a wedding on September 25 through 27th 2009.
Our hosts gave a list of places with pros and cons and we chose the Queens for it's no frills simplicity.

You go to the business next door to register and pick up your room key and you won't see the staff until you check out.

It's up to the traveler to lear about where they are going and what the rules of the game are so for those prone to snivelling or who require mollycoddling do us all a favour and go somewhere else.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled as a couple
3 Thank OMMAG

Solo
Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (24)
Ottawa, Canada
Reviewed September 19, 2009

I stayed here with my mother on a road trip around Prince Edward County this summer. This hotel was perfect for us - small, clean and simple. The location couldn't have been better in downtown Picton - there is a Tim Horton's down the street, as well as two large grocery stores and several restaurants in the blocks around. Though the hotel is located in a replica of a historic building, it has been recently renovated and gives the impression of a brand new building inside. Check-in is at the home renovation store beside the hotel (call ahead if you're arriving late in the day - as it may be out side their business hours). When we arrived, staff were very friendly - we just picked up our keys, confirmed our bill... and went to our room. Parking is free and in a lot beside the hotel - I believe the lot is shared with the Reno store.

We were in room 3 - up a single flight of stairs (don't stay here if you can't climb stairs - there are only a few, but you have to climb them). The room was small and simple, but very comfortable. Again, it looked recently renovated and the place was spotless (couldn't find a single mark on anything!). The room had a shower only, which had plenty of water pressure - a good thing! The room had a single window that overlooked the parking lot and toward Main St. Unlike some other reviewers, we found it very quiet at night. There was no internet (that I was aware of), but they provide plenty of tourist info, which is a good thing, because there's so much to do in the county!

Some local recommendations:
-Buddha dog - 172 Picton Main St. is a must stop at if you've never tried them. Voted best hot dogs in Canada by Reader's Digest
- Schooner's fish & Chips - 72 Picton Main St. - some of the best fish& chips I've had!
- Sugarbush and Lacey Estates wineries - both small wineries that use only the grapes grown in their backyards! Great local wines!
-Sandbanks National Park - best beach in Ontario (IMO)!

• Stayed August 2009, traveled with family
3 Thank JL99
Ontario
Reviewed September 10, 2009

We enjoyed our stay at the Queens Inn very much. This Inn is in its fourth year, so all of the furnishings, carpets, etc. are new. No musty smell. The rooms are immaculate and well appointed. We were very impressed with this find! Central to everything in the County.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled as a couple
2 Thank OntarioRacerGirl
New Glasgow, N.S.
Reviewed September 8, 2009

The room was very clean, air conditioned and nicely appointed. My wife and I didn't mind the Main St. traffic at all. The location is very convenient for access to restaurants, shopping, the harbour and other points of interest. Parking is free. An elevator would have been helpful, but the stairs were manageable even with my sore knees and back. The staff was very friendly and quick to locate me after checkout to let me know I had left my phone charger behind. An ice maker or mini fridge would be nice additions, otherwise, our stay was enjoyable and we will certainly reserve a room for our next visit to Picton.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank malibu_maxx
Ottawa, Canada
Reviewed July 31, 2009

We've been there for 2 nights, my husband and my 16 months old baby. We arrived late, so the managers gave us a code to get the key out of a safe located behind the building. Our room was nice, very clean, large, all you can expect. We had our own portable baby bed.
We stayed there for 3 days and 2 nights, and we did not see any staff what so ever. But we did not need anything from them. It is very well located, all you need is around. You can't ask for a better location. Yes, traffic is a bit loud at night, but not loud enough to prevent us to sleep, nor our baby. The only thing is they have over size pillows. I did not like it, but my husband did. It broke my neck.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled with family
2 Thank Bee000
toronto
Reviewed June 22, 2009

We made a reservation at this inn for a wedding July 17th and 18th 2009. Unfortunately, due to unforeseen circumstances we needed to cancel one night. I called ONE MONTH before our reservation and asked to cancel one night and was told that they require two night minimum stays. I said that unfortunately in that case we would need to cancel both nights. I was THEN told that there would be a 25$ cancellation fee!!! Even though I would have kept the one night and was cancelling ONE MONTH in advance.

I spoke with the manager who REFUSED to not charge this ridiculous money grab fee!!! I explained that it was unfortunate that they were treating people like this because we would NEVER book at this place again.

ALSO be aware that they charge HALF of the charge on your credit card AS SOON AS YOU MAKE THE RESERVATION. The manager then said that the reason for the fee was to recover their credit card fees. WELL... If you don't charge people's cards without notifying them at the time of reservation there would be no need to process the refund.

BOTH of the people I spoke with were RUDE and UNHELPFUL. I know what it takes to make in it the hotel business having worked at a hotel and let me tell you THIS IS NOT HOW YOU KEEP GUESTS COMING BACK.

DO NOT STAY AT THIS PLACE UNLESS YOU WANT A HUGE HEAD ACHE!!!

• Stayed June 2009
5 Thank hmandd
Toronto, Ont.
Reviewed October 19, 2008

There's a lot to like about The Queen's Inn. It's an odd little property: eight rooms on two floors above a dollar shop on Picton's main street, with no registration desk - you have to go to the renovation store behind the hotel building to pick up your key. A minor inconvenience, but I suppose it saves on costs.
Certainly, the price is right: $100 a night, which is competive for popular Prince Edward County, given what you get. Central location, a generous-sized room well laid out, comfortable bed, enough drawer space, clean, lots of towels, good housekeeping service.
The room could probably use another lamp. There's an ice bucket, but no place to get ice. A double lock on the room door would be appreciated. No elevator, so be prepared to hump your luggage up one or two floors. But these are minor quibbles.
The major quibble is the traffic on the main street outside. No problem during the day, but at night it's unrelenting. The main street is part of the county's major thoroughfare,, and lots of commercial traffic zips by day and night just about 10 feet from the windows of the four rooms overlooking Main Street. Unless you're a heavy sleeper, you'll find it tough to get to sleep, then to stay asleep. The other four rooms overlooking the hotel's parking lot are, I suspect, not much quieter, being little more than 25 feet from the traffic. Add to the front rooms' annoyances at night the light filtering through the window shades from the street lights and from the brightly-lit service station across the street, and it's heavy going to try to get some shut-eye. So if you insist on the Queen's Inn, bring your ear plugs and sleeping mask. We didn't, so after two nights of fitful sleep, we were forced to bail out on our third night. The hotel kindly promised to return our third night's deposit to our credit card account.
In short, a nice place, but with one major drawback. If night noise doesn't bother you, though, you'll have a pleasant stay.

Stayed October 2008
6 Thank tomjuno
Also consider these accommodations in or near Picton
The Waring House
#2 of 7 in Belleville
Isaiah Tubbs Resort
Isaiah Tubbs Resort
#5 of 5 in Picton

Been to The Queen's Inn? Share your experiences!