“One Star - Five Star Want-To-Be”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Picton
Claramount Inn & Spa
Ranked #19 of 42 Picton B&B and Inns
Montreal, Canada
“One Star - Five Star Want-To-Be”
Reviewed May 17, 2014

exterior and interior of building both offer flash to the eye. my wife and I along with another couple were there for a few days of well deserved and needed relaxation. We drove up to a large beautiful old house whose grounds and location were very pleasing to the eye and allowed for preconcieved notions.
Our friends had just returned from a trip to england, scotland and geneva, from the pictures we had seen of the claramount we were both expecting a " 5 STAR " stay instead it turned out to be a )*&^)&^^)@^^$^(^ stay.
as they say " buyer be ware !!! " with this place this is definately the rule

Room Tip: This is a }}}}}}}}}} ONE STAR {{{{{{{{{{ FIVE STAR WANT-TO-BE do not allow yo...
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled with friends
3 Thank ntlineman
Peter L, Public Relations Manager at Claramount Inn & Spa, responded to this review, September 16, 2014
I'm sorry you didn't enjoy your stay with us. We take customer feedback very seriously. Your comments, however, are not at all helpful in correcting what you feel went wrong. Giving concrete examples of the ways in which we could improve would be more valuable.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (97)
Kingston, Canada
Reviewed May 8, 2014

We know this area well as we have cycled almost every road over the years. There are so many wonderful places to stay in P.E.C. but the Claramount Inn tops all. The building is beautiful, in excellent repair with lovely furniture and decor. The dining room was so good and I had a lovely day at the Spa. The staff was accommodating and pleasant.

Room Tip: Higher floors are so spacious [rm.6] but all rooms that I saw had something wonderful about them.
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Gregor C
Norah R, Public Relations Manager at Claramount Inn & Spa, responded to this review, July 29, 2014
We're so pleased to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us. Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with the Trip Advisor community. We hope to see you again soon.
Dundas
Reviewed May 8, 2014

My husband and I just returned from a 2 night stay at the beautiful Claramount Inn. We have passed the Inn often and were pleased to finally have a chance to stay. Having read some of the negative reviews I wasn't sure what we would find. Well, all I can say is that we hope to make this a yearly visit. The Inn is beautiful and considering it's age it is in remarkable condition. Yes, there is some peeling paint but unless you have a fulltime painter on staff it is to be expected in a home of this age. I only make reference to this because some people have commented about the peeling paint.

We stayed in room 7 and 2 as they didn't have one room available for 2 nights. Room 7 is very roomy with a nautical theme and beautiful water views. Room 2 is gorgeous with fine antiques and beautiful upholstered furniture. The innkeepers have spared no expense on the draperies and bedding and it was a treat to stay in such a beautiful room.

Our stay included dinner. The dining room is very English in feel and the service was wonderful. Again, the attention to details is something you don't often find today. Linen tablecloths and napkins. Tea, coffee, cream etc. were all served using beautiful silver hotel ware. Something you don't often see these days. The meal was delicious as was the breakfast that was also included. The staff are very pleasant and accommodating. It must be beautiful to be able to sit outside overlooking the water in the warmer weather.

We didn't have a chance to use the hot tub or pool but both looked very inviting. Some have commented that the pool is run down. Yes, some of the concrete is cracking but this is to be expected with concrete and is not something that can easily be fixed. It's just one of those things but the pool was clean and well maintained. When we were leaving early morning there were several people out and about sweeping, emptying the hot tub and refilling and maintaining the property.

If I were to find any criticism it would be that yes, the front doors should be painted and wiped of fingerprints as it is your first impression of the Inn. There were a few very minor housekeeping issues. Drips on the walls around the sink and some gunk that should be cleaned after each stay. I only say this because I wanted this to be an honest review based on some of the other negative comments.

Brenda is also very helpful and went out of her way to accommodate us.

It's not very often one has an opportunity to stay in such a beautiful historic home.

We loved the Claramount and look forward to our future stay.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled with family
Thanks so much for your review. We are glad to hear that you enjoyed your stay and that you plan to return. Perhaps next time you'll get to try the pool and the hot tub. I'll pass on your kind words to Brenda as well. We hope to see you again soon.
Burlington, Canada
Reviewed April 29, 2014

After searching online for a new place to go for a romantic couple nights away, we decided that the Prince Edward County area looked nice and thought lets give it a try. We did our online research and decided On a place and I just tried to book a room at the Claramont Inn and Spa for the Sunday and Monday night of the Victoria Day weekend, but were told that there was a 3 night minimum (their website says 2 nights) and that one night had to be a package (pay more money for dinner then it actually costs).

When I politely protested and explained that this was the only time we could get off as we could only stay 2 nights and that my wife has allergies and we had to watch what food she eats and as we had never been there before could they honour what was on the website we we just told "it's a long weekend, we can't do that".

I am perplexed by this, I Know they want to fill the inn over the weekend, but it's 2 weeks away and there are plenty of rooms available (at least when I checked) maybe this is why. In my line of work, I know the value of a customer. Service is everything, and places like this spend large amounts of advertising dollars to get new people to book a visit to their Inn, and when a new customer does come, this is how they are treated? My first (and now only) experience with this inn was a negative one and now I have no desire to ever come back.

Customers vote with their hard earned dollars, and by sharing their experience with others. So as a result of the short sited management of this inn, we will be spending our time at other establishments and educating others on how this inn values new business.

Room Tip: Go somewhere else where you are valued
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
6 Thank Sean M
Norah R, Innkeeper at Claramount Inn & Spa, responded to this review, May 6, 2014
Dear Rugbyguy from Burlington,

I like to your posting here on Trip Advisor..
I have been involved with the Resort/Inn Business for many years.. and most of the Inn's have different reservation policies in place, the same way Airlines, Cruiseships and similar operations have reservation restrictions at certain times. The Claramount has only 10 rooms and 2 Cottages available for sale and in our business we need to make sure that we maximize our sales for business reasons.. during the slower periods of the year we do except 1 night reservations.
And I believe on the day you called we had 7 out of 10 rooms sold..
I am sorry that we were not able to accommodate you and I hope you have found something to your liking..

all the best

Innkeeper.
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed April 18, 2014

First time to Prince Edward County and we got a great deal for a two night stay. Claramount Inn exceeded our expectation for the deal we got. Very impressive from the outside and our room was HUGE. We were in room 5 which has its own staircase to it. The room overlooks the back of the property with a balcony off to the side which overlooks the water, hot tub area and pool. There are so many windows along the back wall the room is full of light. The bed was a king size and had the 'bed stool' to climb onto it. There is a large area of the room that seconds as a lounging area with a sofa and two large comfy chairs along with an antique long sofa under the windows and of course a tv in the cabinet. We also had a large dressing room off tothe side that takes you into the large bathroom with shower stall and an egg shaped free standing tub. The toilet has a door to it for privacy. The decor is traditonal which suits the decor and age of the Inn. If you dont want stairs , I did see two main floors rooms.

We made use of the Spa which is on the lower level. Great manicure and reflexology. Very friendly staff and not expensive for the treatments we chose. There is a covered swimming pool, an sauna and a hot tub for guest use, but we didnt use it.

Breakfast was a choice of the usual eggs, omlette and eggs benny and delicious.. All of which was served in their fine dinning restaurant named Clara's which is on the main level. Dinner at night was very well presented and the food was really really good. They serve great local beer and local wines which we tried out. The next day we went in search of the brewery and bought some to bring home. An after dinner walk at the back of the property down to the water was one way to try to digest our wonderful dinner and we were lucky enough to see a beaver enjoying his evening swim.

The Inn is about 6-8 kms from the ferry which you can take your car onto for the short ride across the water to get to Kingston. We didnt go on it as we wanted to explore the area. It was a bit disappointing to find many of the out of the way bistro's , pubs, and cider places and some art galleries closed for the season but we were told the businesses open around May 15 when the tourist season starts in earnest.

Lake onthe Mountain is a short car ride and well worth the visit as as views are great.

We will definately be booking into the Claramount Inn and Spa again very soon.

Room Tip: room 5 if you dont mind climbing the stairs. The view is great and the room [ should say suite of...
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank prevfromPurley
Dear Prefrom Pur...

thank you very much for staying with us and for taking the
time to write this great review.. We do love reviews like yours... Reviews are shared with all here at the Inn.... and all the comments hopefully help us to make guest experience even better.

We hope you will return again soon and you will share your experience with your family and friends.

Toronto
Reviewed April 6, 2014

I travelled to this Inn with my Mum for a quick escape at the beginning of March. I was really pleased with the experience overall and I will return.

The town of Picton is a lovely spot with some really nice little stores and we had lunch at a great restaurant that started the weekend off perfectly!

Once we arrived at the Inn (4 hours before check in) we were checked in and allowed to go to our room to unwind after the wintery drive. The rooms are extremely well appointed with a great selection of furniture, a big beautiful four poster bed and a spa style bathroom!

Off to the spa and although they did not match decorative style in the basement spa the skill and quality of services were unbeatable! After a very relaxing massage that left me wishing I had chosen many more services we decided to try the indoor / outdoor pool. Here all luxury ceases. My only suggestion here is to not bother. Go and take a look and you will see....that's all.

The restaurant is a lovely spot at the back of the house. It has great views and the service was to match! The food was average to above average; it was very heavy winter fair that went for a very simple flavour base. I was not wowed by any part but I did finish my meal. The wine selection was good - not great but I enjoyed my glass of wine and we retired to the room for our own wine selection in front of the fireplace with books and gossip.

Overall there are things that can be improved on and I hope they do kick it up a notch as they have the opportunity to be competitive with the higher end escapes.....but then....I would assume the price point would change too so I shall enjoy it will trying to figure out this conundrum.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with friends
Norah R, Innkeeper at Claramount Inn & Spa, responded to this review, April 10, 2014
Dear Caribheart,

thank you very much for staying with us and writing about your experience. Comments are shared with all here at the Inn.. that helps us to improve on our guest service and guest experience. And I have noted your comments about the meal and the spa.. We will work on making it better!!

thank you again and we hope you will stay with us when visiting the County.
if you like to stay in touch, like us on facebook where we will post happenings in the County and the Inn.

all the very best,

Haliburton, Canada
Reviewed April 3, 2014

We had a lovely 2 day getaway to the Claramount at an incredible price thanks to Travelzoo. Overall it was a very relaxing, friendly, comfortable, pleasant experience. The suites are large and nicely decorated. We started in Room 7 at the top of the Inn which is very large and sprawling. Most of the furniture in Room 7 is wicker so not terribly comfortable. The king size bed is however. As 1 of us was suffering from an injury we asked to be moved to a lower level room for the 2nd night and the front desk staff member was very accomodating. The soaker tub in Room 2 was just what was needed. The spa treatments were also very therapeutic. Some of the robes provided in the rooms are getting very worn and should be replaced.The pool area is in need of some repair & maintenance but we did enjoy a swim. Dining room staff were very efficient and pleasant especially Alexis. The eggs benedict was disappointing as it was not hot and the biscuit was not even toasted. The plates for all the meals were not warm as they should be. Generally the meals were enjoyable. We were on the Countylicious menu so had limited choices but there was enough variety. First impressions are very important & we have to say that although the front desk staff member was very friendly and helpful, she should have some coaching regarding her use of the English language. There isn't such a word as "Youse" and to be greeted at an elegant Inn such as this with, not once, or twice but several times by this inaccuracy is very disheartening. We would return to this Inn & will recommend it .

Room Tip: Suite 7 is extremely quiet. In lower suites you will hear people moving around above you and you may...
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
3 Thank CreamFancy
Dear Nancy B from Haliburton,

thank you very much for staying with us and for sharing your experience here on facebook.
Comments are shared with all at the Inn, that helps us to improve on our guest experience. I understand your comment about some of the words being used ... some might insist that " youse" is the plural of " you".... but we will be talking to our staff about this.

Thank you again for your visit.

Innkeeper
Also consider these accommodations in or near Picton
The Waring House
#3 of 12 in Wellington
The Queen's Inn
The Queen's Inn
#4 of 5 in Picton

Been to Claramount Inn & Spa? Share your experiences!