“We emigrated to be near Sandbanks!”

Sandbanks Provincial Park
Ranked #1 of 47 things to do in Picton
Reviewed November 25, 2013

It's our perfect summer destination - sitting under a tree on top of a huge sand dune looking out at the lake and reading a book, chatting or listening to a podcast. Plus watching the deer walking past, eagles overhead and foxes rolling in the sand. We came here on holiday (from the UK) for some 10 years and emigrated to Picton in 2012; our choice of Picton was largely based on its proximity to Sandbanks!

The great thing is that most people head to the main beaches. The dunes are very much quieter and prettier (imho). Rather than going to the main park entrance just drive down the 12 from Bloomfield but ignore the Sandbanks sign and don't turn left by the church. Instead carry straight on, and you'll find the day-use car park for the dunes on your right hand side after 2 km or so. There's a ticket machine there. And a small beach. And a summer-time cafe. Walk into the dunes for 10 minutes and you are on your own with nature.

4  Thank HoHumAnotherTrip
Write a ReviewReviews (1,076)
All reviews
in 11 reviews
"hiking trails"
in 11 reviews

Reviewed November 25, 2013

A great povincial park with a variety of trails and beautiful beaches. A perfect spot for all ages in all seasons. The park is closed now but you can still enter and enjoy walks among the dunes or on the trails. Walking the beach in winter you can experience an awesome frozen landscape and interesting ice formations.

Reviewed October 29, 2013

I love Sandbanks; plain and simple. It is perfect for friends, families and couples. We wanted to camp there but it is close to impossible to get a campground in July. You must really book in advance. As for the beach, it left me speechless. I thought beaches like that only existed in the south. The sand was white and the water was clear. I had the water up to my knees and I still saw my toes. Now, don't underestimate the power of the Canadian sun. My boyfriend and I didn't put much sunblock on and man did we get burnt! As though we spent a day in Cuba with no sunblock. I got heat stroke that night...SO WEAR PROTECTION!

Reviewed October 25, 2013

By the time we hit here most folks had other things to do than go to the beach. But is was warm and sunny and a great day to stroll along the beach. A bit of park employees for directions would have been helpful..