“A great place to stay and eat!”
Review of The Waring House

The Waring House
Ranked #2 of 5 Hotels in Picton
Reviewed December 16, 2010

We stayed here during the November promotion for Taste of the County. We had superb rooms in the lean new buildings with a two room suite. The rooms were clean and spacious with a huge bathroom. Two flat screens. Sitting room with a desk. The food was absolutely fabulous with an adequate wine list. The special pricing during this promo was well worth it. We are looking to booking again for this promo.

• Stayed: November 2010, traveled with family

Reviewed September 10, 2010

We just returned from our 8th stay at the Waring house, and once again had an amazing time, we go here about 4x a year to relax and enjoy the County restaurants and wine.
Our room was quiet, clean, and we always request the 10% CAA member discount on the room rate which is always nice. We stayed 2 nights in the House Next Door and loved it, and then upgraded to the private Stone cottage with outdoor hot tub and fireplace on our last night, what a great view of the sunset. We met the owners who are there every night overseeing the service at the Inn and enjoy dinner in the Pub, they are very nice and really do care about the guests experience. The live entertainment in the Barley room pub is great every night, and also the food, we loved the hot wings, grilled shrimp skewers, and the ribs are awesome. I honestly have no complaints, it was another perfect stay! Breakfast is included and is hot and delicious, my eggs done exactly as requested. Love, love, love this place can't wait to return again in October to enjoy the fall colours in the County. Thanks to all the staff for making our stay another memorable one. I give the Waring House my highest reccomendation, if you don't love it here you must be very hard to please!

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank TorontoWelltravelled
Reviewed September 8, 2010

My wife and I have stayed here on numerous occassions. Usually in the older rooms with the small hot tub on the deck. The last time we stayed there we were very disappointed as the room was dirty, smelled of mildew and really worn out carpeting. So, the last time we booked, we opted for one of the rooms in the new facilities. Beautiful! I cannot complain about anything about our stay other than during check out. They charged me $324.26. I paid using direct debit while my wife was going over the bill and noted an error. They told me that they reversed the payment and then had me pay the corrected amount of $299.26. It's been 6 weeks since we stayed there and I'm still trying to get my money back as the $324.26 still has not been returned. Nice scam if you can get away with it. What a way to ruin an otherwise perfect visit. I see by other reviews I'm not the only one to experience this sort of thing so watch out.

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled as a couple
5  Thank Flyer3150
Reviewed September 8, 2010

We enjoyed our stay at The Waring House. We were given room # 215 which is on the second floor of the Quaker building. Lovely room...high ceilings,great bed, fireplace,flatscreen TV,mini-fridge, big bathroom with soaker tub for 2 ;) ;) balcony with muskoka chairs. Our rate included breakfast, which was really good. Order from the menu,served hot & tasty.Great location for touring "The County"

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 6, 2010

My husband and I stayed at the Waring House with another couple on the Labour Day weekend. It was a last minute getaway as we were coming a short drive from Kingston. We had a beautiful room, extremely clean and the most comfortable bed we have slept in a long time! We had a wonderful dinner at the Claremont, which is their sister property apparently. It was a very intimate atmosphere and the dinner and service were topnotch. We then went back to the Waring House pub where there was a live band playing, very entertaining...and the best homemade coconut cream pie ever. Wish I would have had more time to try their spa services, maybe next time, there will most certainly be a next time.

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled with friends
Reviewed August 31, 2010

Watch your credit card statement if you stayed at the Waring House recently. Two unexplained charges on my credit card statement of over $90 - broken into two smaller amounts. After calling the front desk, they said it was for extra housekeeping - odd since we left the room in superb condition. After several attempts at trying to speak to a manager, I have been forced to contact the better business bureau. Not to mention - 3 wine glasses, purchased from a winery in the area went missing from our room. After much harrassment, the front desk did pay us back for them. TERRIBLE CUSTOMER SERVICE and extremely UNTRUSTWORTHY - DON"T STAY AT THIS HOTEL and certainly DON'T give them your credit card number.

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled with friends
5  Thank mskatiemacdonald
Reviewed August 26, 2010

Upon phoning to reserve, the clerk who took our call was lovely and helpful and happened to be working the front desk when we arrived two days later. She recalled speaking to me on the phone and was very polite and genuine.
We were impressed by the grounds and gardens, so anticipated a nice room as well. We were very disappointed, though. The building appeared unkempt from the outside (weedy gardens, dirty steps, peeling paint) and our room was not much better. The decor was very out-dated, the room constantly had a funny 'septic' smell - forcing us to keep the bathroom door closed with the exhaust fan running the whole time, and our porch with a 'soft tub' hot tub appeared neglected and dirty.
The food, however, was the complete opposite. We visited the pub (again, a bit 'funny' smelling) and had some local beer and a fantastic appetizer... artichoke-cheese dip that was beyond compare! As well, we had been given vouchers for breakfast upon check-in, and didn't expect much, but were very impressed with what we were served (by an efficient and friendly waitress). Gorgeous french toast, a beautiful omlette... perfectly seasoned and expertly cooked. Yummy!
Overall, we were impressed by the food and service. But we really expected a lot more of our lodging given the rate we paid. I'm always happy to pay for something that's worth the money, but the room we stayed in at this hotel was a total disappointment. Even if we subtracted the amount we would have paid for breakfast without the vouchers, it still was poor value for money.

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank sherikoolaid
Also consider these accommodations in or near Picton
Picton Harbour Inn
The Queen's Inn
#4 of 5 in Picton
The Miller's House Bed and Breakfast
Jackson's Falls Country Inn

Been to The Waring House? Share your experiences!