TripAdvisor
Picton
Post
Inbox
Search
All reviews barley room the pub quaker lodge cooking class heritage lodge garden restaurant view cottage breakfast was included prince edward county cookery school hot tub stone cottage superior room king bed live entertainment huge bathroom french toast
Selected filters
Reviewed 4 weeks ago

We were celebrating my parents' 50th wedding anniversary. We were a group of 10 adults and 2 children. We had made dinner reservations at the time of our booking, and I confirmed them again upon check-in. This was a very special deal for our family. When we arrived at the restaurant promptly at 6 PM, as per our reservation, not only did they have no record of our reservation, but they were pretty much ready to tell us to leave - not once did anyone apologize. I was livid - this was in front of my parents on their 50th anniversary. Finally someone did step up and find us a table, at least, and a server did bring us prosecco as an olive branch, so that was appreciated. But our table was thrown together and lacking the same decor as the other tables we saw in the dining room, the food was mediocre (think boiled frozen vegetables!), and the service was slow and begrudging. This was a 50th anniversary!!!

Also - when you pay your bill, tell them upfront you don't want to pay the PEC tourist tax. This is a voluntary tax and you don't have to pay it - it's a total money grab. So I asked them to please remove the line item, and the woman at the checkout was extremely rude about it. She told me that "no one ever asks not to pay that, it's only 2%." We had 5 rooms, each ranging between $280-$340 before taxes, so the tourist tax came to over $30; I think it was worth asking not to pay it and I didn't appreciate being made to feel cheap.

Finally, we were told breakfast was included with our rooms. Then we were told that yes, breakfast was included, but it ended at 9:30. OK, fine, that was a bit early, but it was a long weekend so we understood. Three of our party went into the restaurant at 9 AM only to find that the KITCHEN closed at 9, and the dining room closed at 9:30 AM. They were rudely told they could have coffee, but that was it. So why on earth did they tell us it ended at 9:30 and not 9:00?

All in all, we were really disappointed. Save your money and book somewhere else. There are lots of lovely properties in the area with better food and better service.

Room tip: The Quaker House front-facing ground floor are big, but smoke wafts in from ppl smoking outside the lobby if you open your patio door.
Date of stay: October 2019
TheWaringHouse, Owner at The Waring House, responded to this reviewResponded 4 weeks ago

Dear Heather M
I was dismayed to read your comments about your experience at The Waring House and I sincerely apologize for our shortcomings on this occasion. I understand it is difficult to be the organizer for an event and have things not go so greatly - especially when it's for people you care about.

If you wish to send me an email I will respond more fully as I am checking on the various aspects of your complaint. We are in the business to give excellent customer service and did try to accommodate your needs. I am sorry you were disappointed.
reservations@waringhouse.com

Reviewed October 7, 2019

We wanted to share our positive experience at the The Waring House. From the moment we arrived we were welcomed by Tanya at Reception who took time to give us a map and suggestions for touring the County. This same lady had taken notice of our room request (via email) and called us the day before we arrived to reassure about the upgrade. We stayed at the Heritage lodge, which was clean, spacious and very comfortable. The surrounding area was green with a lovely flower garden. Our meals at the Pub and Amelia's Garden restaurant were delicious with great service, particularly from Chelsea.
We thoroughly enjoyed the relaxing stay and were centrally located to tour the County. Many thanks for making our stay special.

Dear mclybert
Thank you so much for your lovely review, it means a great deal to our hospitality staff to receive acknowledgement in a TripAdvisor posting. My husband and I sincerely appreciate all your positive comments. We hope to welcome you back in the future.
Sincerly

Reviewed September 26, 2019

Large spacious rooms. The shower's are extremely small,which is not what you would expect for the price to stay. A very nice pub on site and breakfast is excellent. No elevators in the outer building which means you have to carry everything up the stairs. Wished I had asked for a first floor room. The grounds are very well kept and very nice staff.

Dear Kathy B
Your nice review is greatly appreciated. Thanks for staying at The Waring House and we hope you return.

Reviewed September 14, 2019 via mobile

Was a bit hesitant after reading some negative reviews. Perhaps those guests were there during busy peak time.
Husband and I stayed 2 nights right after Labor Day and booked the Vineyard Cottage.
The Cottage was beautiful and private and loved the hot tub in the evening on our private patio.
Room was clean, well appointed, bed comfy and no complaints.
Service at the reception, Dining Room and Pub was excellent.
Our dinner at Amelia’s was fantastic, the best Moroccan rack of lamb I ever had. Husband enjoyed his pickerel as well. Caesar salad was plentiful and delicious.
The Pub on the second evening was very busy and we were served quickly. Loved the lamb shank.
Breakfasts were exceptional and Heather was a sweetheart. Even though breakfast was included with our stay, a nice tip for the staff is always appreciated.
Would definitely return next season and explore additional wineries.

Date of stay: September 2019
Trip type: Traveled as a couple
1  Thank dor r

Dear Beachbound007
Wow! Your lovely review was such a nice treat. I cannot tell you how heartwarming it is to read a review such as yours. Thank you so much. Please come and visit us again.

Reviewed September 12, 2019 via mobile

PRO:
We were given an upgrade and the rooms where we stayed at the Heritage Lodge are really nice. Our room came with a sitting room and private patio. My sister’s room came with a hot tub on their private patio. The view with the wide expanse of green grass and flowers is also the nicest one I ever experienced in a hotel or resort and I have been to many.

Breakfast that comes with the room fee is also very good.
PRO:
The rooms at the Heritage Lodge are really nice. Big spacious with private patio for each room. Views are unbeatable (wide expanse of green grass and flowers). Bed is also very comfortable. Towels are great. Breakfast which comes with the room rate is also good. I also saw a glimpse of the Standard room and they seem nice with Victorian era design, though a bit small and located in upper floor. There is also walking trail, nice garden, spacious parking area.

CONS:
1. Service
Service of the older lady at the reception should be improved. Since I booked standard rooms thru Expedia/Hotels.com, I was not aware that Standard rooms are located only in 2F (according to her when we were requesting for a room at the ground floor) and I have 2 Senior citizens with mobility issues and older sister with arthritis. The older lady wanted us to book the suite rooms instead at higher prices. I had to explain that I already paid for the rooms 2 months in advance and I am not paying for an upgrade just because info on the site failed to mention that Standard rooms are at 2F only. While I am very grateful for the subsequent upgrade given to us, I have a feeling it came only because she later found out I booked thru a website and might complain thru the site or leave a bad review. Then during check out she again tried to get me to pay the room charges, I had to tell her again that I already paid in advance thru the site. Canadians in my one month of stay are always polite and I have not experienced any racism issue but I felt it slightly from her. And I am not the sensitive type. The younger chubby lady was nicer and was the one who suggested the upgrade. Though she needs to smile also when conducting customer interaction. I once worked for a Hotel too so the service was terribly disappointing for me.

2. Amelia’s Garden dinner
Dinner at the property is highly rated and indeed there are a lot of customers both locals and staying at the hotel. But at their prices plus tips (15%), i had way better food at a much lower price in other properties around the world. The catch of the day (oven baked pickerel) was dry and bland. The beef tenderloin was also uninspiring. My sister and brother in law though seemed to enjoy their chimichurri chicken but then they were not paying so they had no price/food taste comparison to do.

3. Room amenities
We were upgraded to Heritage Lodge rooms which seemed to me to be suite rooms... almost. Room was big, bed was really comfortable, view is unbeatable. But the bathroom amenities were very basic for a suite room and came only in 1 tiny bottle each, not enough for 2 people. No slippers. No complimentary water. No room service. No housekeeping service at night.

Trip type: Traveled with family

Dear mickey0521
So glad to hear you enjoyed your rooms and the view. We are unfortunately unable to include all the information pertaining to a room when people book through an online booking agency. There is no mechanism to allow this. I'm glad we were able to accommodate your need.
Glad you chose The Waring House and hope you will return.