“good if you don't need a sink or a hairdryer” 2 of 5 bubbles
Review of The Waring House

The Waring House
Ranked #2 of 5 Hotels in Picton
Toronto
“good if you don't need a sink or a hairdryer”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 12, 2009

We've stayed at the Waring House at least 20 times over the years. The last two times we stayed we were unimpressed. Broken sink in the room.-had to brush my teeth in the bathtub. Broken hairdryer in the room during the next stay. Plus, the staff doesn't really seem to care. I'm no fan of the owners and would have gladly stayed elsewhere but there's not much else to choose from -- her other property, the Picton Bay Motel is a dump. We're coming down again soon and we're thinking we might stay at the incredibly gorgeous Frontenanc Inn in Kingston instead -- insanely beauitful, a full suite, walking distance to restaurants, excellent service, delicious breakfast included -- all for about $20 more than the Waring House. We might also try the Newsroom in Wellington. STAY AWAY FROM THE WARING HOUSE!!!

• Stayed February 2009, traveled as a couple
3 Thank torontotravelalot

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (120)
Toronto
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 30, 2008

We booked this for our 40th wedding anniversary weekend.

We were underwhelmed by this property - it is not an "Ontario Finest Inn." Our room 15 was jammed with furniture - we had to climb on the bed to get to the cupboard, which was made private by a curtain, not a door. Our "terrace" was, in fact, looking out over the junction of two highways. We had a dripping tap, a door lock that didn't work.

The restaurant was very good, if a bit over-priced, compared to others in the area.

This is a fine motel - it's not a great inn, so not worth the price.

• Liked — Garden
  • Disliked — The room we had
  • Stayed May 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
      Business service (e.g., internet access)
3 Thank TorontoJimbo
Raymond, Maine
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 6, 2008

My husband and I spent 3 idyllic days visiting with friends at The Waring House. Our room was in the main house which has only four guest rooms but also hosts a dining room and pub. The room was furnished with antiques and decorated in a rather victorian style. Old photos graced the walls. Even though the Inn is a restored 1860s home, the guest rooms do have central air. We were happy to forgo the air and open a window. Our room had a queen bed with a down comforter and was incredibly comfortable. The bathroom looked to be brand new and was good sized. Even though there was entertainment most nights in the pub, not a sound crept upstairs.

Everyone we met on the staff was friendly, courteous and helpful. We ate two meals in the pub and were delighted with the food. My friend and I had lobster one night and throughly enjoyed it. Breakfast does not come with the room and is quite pricey but it is so elegant to sit in the breakfast room gazing out on the beautiful garden - rather makes you forget the price.

Many of the herbs and vegetables, as well as the cut flowers, are grown on site. The gardens are well tended. There is also a cooking school for those who have interest in the culinary arts.

The location is close to Sandbanks Provincial Parks and many of the wineries that dot the landscape. Picton is an incredibly gorgeous little town.

I would highly recommend Waring House for a peaceful, relaxing and refreshing get-away.

• Liked — Everything!
  • Disliked — There was no internet access - but maybe that was a good thing.
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled with friends
Kelowna, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 6, 2008

We attended a Wedding at the Waring house the weekend of May 31st. We stayed at the Inn for two nights and we were in Room #6 located in "The House Next Door".

It is a lovely property with plenty of charm! The staff were very helpful and friendly upon check-in. When we found our room we were pleasantly suprised by the feel of the place. It is very homey, with a cozy country cottage ambience. Our room had two Queen beds, a nice ensuite with all the amenities, antique furniture, a tv/vcr (you can borrow videos from their library in the main house) and a hot tub on our deck. (I did hear that a couple of other guests in our party had no shower in their room, just tubs. So if this is a consideration for you, be sure to ask).

There is a common room in the "house next door" with nice sofas and chairs, a fireplace, board games, books and magazines etc... As we were with the Wedding and occupying the entire property, this was a great meeting place for everyone to just hang out together. I meant to take pictures of the interior, but I'm afraid I didn't get around to it, but I can share my exterior shots.

We had dinner in the main house. It was a set menu as it was following the Wedding rehearsal, and the food and service was just great!

Saturday morning of our stay, the staff offered to clean our room. I was in it at the time, and told them it wasn't necessary, but they were all very freindly and helpful, telling me that if I needed anything refreshing, new towels, beds made up, anything at all, to just let them know.

The rain cleared and ceremony was held outside, a beautiful spot if you are looking for somewhere! The food and service at the reception was fantastic, not a thing to complain about during our whole stay.

For full disclosure, although the surrounding grounds and gardens are beautiful, the property is right on the corner of Hwy #33 & #1, so the house/Inn is right next to the road, but it didn't bother me at all.

I wouldn't have normally considered myself a country Inn type of girl, but we really thoroughly enjoyed our stay, and would like to return to check out their cooking school.

• Liked — Quaint, home like atmosphere
  • Disliked — Wish it wasn't so close to the main road.
  • Stayed May 2008, traveled as a couple
1 Thank k8brit
Ontario
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 6, 2007

We tried to book the cottage property (its price is about 60% more than their regular rooms) for our planned two-night stay as it is set apart from the other 17 rooms and it is larger and has private grounds adjacent to it. We wanted to be set apart because we would be travelling with our year and a half child who is a very good traveller. Even so, we wanted to ensure she would not disturb other guests should she travel poorly this time.

However, when trying to book, we were informed the Waring House policy was that children over 1 year stay at full rate - in our case an extra $125 per night! If she was less than a year, she would stay for free. The people on the other end of the phone were unfailingly polite, but would not reconsider this awkward policy. I noted that I could understand a $20 / night supplement for an infant who requires no extra services, but not $125. Not having asked for an extra bed or any extra towels or a third breakfast plate, I did not see how an infant qualified as a full-grown adult - except as a cash grab. I reiterated this was too much money for an infant.

I called back and asked to speak to the manager. I indicated that we were CAA/AAA members and wondered if that would bring us a discount. We were told it would be 10% of each person, so instead of $375 / night, we would pay $337.50.

Then out of the blue I was told that the Waring House is not set up for children at all. I noted that by chosing the roomier cottage with private outdoor space we would have the minimal space we need for our little one to have a couple of books and a bit of play space. We had considered all this before attempting to book.

Then I was told that the Waring House had a sister property in Picton that could accommodate our needs and we would be very happy there. It was a weird conversation.

We subsequently checked the Waring House listing in the CAA book on Ontario. It lists the extra person charge as a mere $10 per night (why the gymnastics to make us pay so much extra is beyond me) and all rates are subject to the 10% CAA discount. Thus we should have been paying $234 / night.

I got the feeling this policy is not about the extra expense associated with serving another person, but about discouraging children from staying there.

We were looking forward to our two days there. But by nickel and diming us, they will lose our business not just this time, but anytime we want a two-day getaway - unless it reconsiders its child-averse policy. We can rent nearby cottages for a whole week for what they want for two days with our child. No thanks!

• Disliked — Would not honour posted CAA/AAA rates
  • Stayed July 2007
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
8 Thank ScreenName007
Brampton, Canada
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 13, 2007

We spent the weekend at the Inn. I called ahead to let them know we would be arriving late, as we were travelling across Toronto during rush hour. We missed the check in by about 10 minutes.

When we arrived at the property, we found a spot to park, even though there appeared to be not much. The sign by the Pub stated to go towards the office for late night check in. We ended up walking around the property looking for another sign and found nothing. So we ended up going back to the pub where they said they would check us in. I would have preferrred if they had told me this over the phone when I called earlier.

The room was charming, and the photos on the website do not do this place justice. The website does not specifically state this, but every room does have its own self contained bathroom, which we were concerned about. It was a bit of a relief when we found this out. However, we found the water pressure from the shower to be not the greatest.

The Inn offers cooking classes which we participated in on the Saturday. The class was full, but was a lot of fun. If you have an opportunity to go, I would highly recommend this. Chef Andrea was great and had a lot of great cooking tips that would help not just for the meal that was being offered that day.

We did some cross country skiing during the afternoon and when we got back our room was very cold. We asked the staff to turn up the heat and we left for dinner in Picton. When we got back, the room was perfect.

Overall, we enjoyed our stay here. We have stayed at other Inn's in Ontario and feel that this one was okay. The pricing is good compared to other places. But I just felt like they really didn't do anything extra to try and make me want to come back again. Nothing at check out except that the bill was paid and that was it. It is a nice area, and for those wanting some privacy, this would be an ideal location.

• Stayed February 2007, traveled as a couple
6 Thank Tim B
Also consider these accommodations in or near Picton
Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Belleville
The Miller's House Bed and Breakfast
Twin Birch Suites & Cottages
Twin Birch Suites & Cottages
#2 of 12 in Wellington

Been to The Waring House? Share your experiences!