“Not Bad!”

Ranked #2 of 5 Hotels in Picton
Niagara Falls, Canada
“Not Bad!”
Reviewed March 24, 2014

Was really expecting a stay at a old property with lots of history. I think this experience is limited to those staying in the main building. We stayed in the Quaker lodge which appears to be brand new and anything but historic. It is nice and clean but has the feel of a nice Best Western. I was a little disappointed.

Check in was a little confusing. The girl at the front desk seemed overwhelmed and very confused. Had to ask for a few of the things included in my Travelzoo package as it was not really put together for my arrival.

The beds were AMAZINGLY comfortable.

The reviews here are correct, the walls are paper thin (maybe thinner). We could easily hear the people next to us. We turned on the White Noise Machine provided (basically a loud fan), and everything was fine.

The true Gem at this property is the pub. Amazing historic little room with some great live music. Definitely a must if you are staying here.

The locations of the resort is not too bad. Great for exploring all the local wineries; and the brewery. I didn't feel the spot was very picturesque (although we visited in March).

All in all, not a bad place. Would probably try a different spot for the experience should I find myself back in the area!

Room Tip: I would try for the Main Lodge if you want a unique feel.
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
Norah R, Innkeeper at The Waring House, responded to this review, April 9, 2014
Dear Remmit from Niagara Falls,

thank you very much for staying with us and for sharing your experience here on Trip Advisor.
Comments are shared with all at the Inn.
I find it very interesting some of our guests prefer to stay in the more traditional rooms, others prefer to stay in the newer rooms... and I am sure you have noticed that the furnishings in those rooms are of very high quality.
And yes, I am very pleased to share with you that we are in the final stages of sound proofing all rooms. ( we just completed the Heritage building, the difference is amazing.. and we are working on the Quaker)
Thank you again.. and we are hoping you will return soon..
if you like us on FaceBook, you can stay in touch.. and you will be kept up to date on happenings in the County and special offerings at the Inn.

Innkeeper.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (124)
Sudbury, Canada
Reviewed March 18, 2014

We spent the weekend at Waring House and we stayed in the Main House overtop the restaurant...The girl at reception was friendly and courteous.
The Main House is Old but charming and clean and the bathroom is modern.
The light in the bathroom is charming too, but not very good for putting on makeup! they really need another mirror with a better light for women on the go!
There were a few light bulbs not working in the room, but we didn't have time to ask them to change them for us. TV is old....could really use a flat screen.
The Hotel houses a cooking school and so the food choices are varied and adventurous.
And good! We were served a "box" breakfast as we had to leave earlier than breakfast was served in the restaurant and the muffins along with old cheese from a local dairy was really tastey...The staff in the morning was chipper and friendly so that was a great bonus for a NON morning lover like myself!
Some of our party was accommodated in the Quaker Lodge and it's a newer building. Very nicely appointed but noisy. We walked from the Main house and the pub to the Quaker Lodge and as the weather was really mild then flash freeze some of the roadways and walkways were icy....could have used some sand for easier walking.
The Waring House is close to the main drag of Picton so lots of options for gas, shopping and restaurants. Pricing was competitive.

Room Tip: if you prefer old and charming, pick the Main House (main house is above pub, and although you can s...
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled on business
1 Thank Saloun
Norah R, Innkeeper at The Waring House, responded to this review, April 9, 2014
Dear Saloun from Sudbury,

thank you very much for staying with us and for taking the time to write about your experience. Guest comments are shared with all here at the Inn and it will be my pleasure to share yours..
We thank you for your comments about items needing attention..
If you like to stay in touch with us, like us on Facebook, we share last minute offerings and happenings on a regular basis.

Thank you again for staying with us and we are looking forward to your return visit.

Innkeeper
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed March 10, 2014

We spent a few days at Waring House last week. My wife and I were looking forward to a few quiet days in Prince Edward County. When we booked our reservation, we were upgraded to the Quaker Lodge. We were not informed by Waring House staff that the Quaker Lodge is NOT soundproof. When we checked in, we were not informed by Waring House staff that our room was NOT soundproof.

The number of reviews on tripadvisor that report this problem is clear evidence that The Waring House is having a chronic soundproofing problem in the Quaker Lodge.

Not to inform first time guests of this problem is deliberate and inappropriate.

Buyer Beware

• Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
13 Thank AaronCC
Norah R, Owner at The Waring House, responded to this review, April 9, 2014
" Buyer Beware"

I like to confirm the conversation you had with the Owner/Innkeeper of the Hotel.
We are sorry that you did not enjoy your stay with us and that you had concerns about our sound proofing.
I am pleased to tell you that we are in the final stages of completing all sound proofing and we do hope you will try us again.

Norah Rogers,
Owner/Innkeeper
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Reviewed March 7, 2014

We had an incredible experience at the Waring House this past Friday evening. The service was impeccable, we received a room upgrade at no cost and also were given a box of local chocolates as a gift for our anniversary from Wolfgang, the Inn Keeper. The room was in the Quaker Lodge, and it was well decorated and spacious with a very comfortable bed, sweet seating area with a electric fireplace, with large windows looking on to the winter wonderland, the bathroom was also large with a two person tub.

We dined at the Barley Room and very much enjoyed the live music and the food. The drinks were delicious, the service was prompt and friendly, and I was surprised by the high quality of the food. I had a special of the night, penne pasta in a cheddar, tarragon sauce which was to die for. We also enjoyed an appetizer and dessert, all of which were great. The Barley Room had a great atmosphere, it was clear that there were many regular customers, and I could certainly see why! This is no ordinary pub.

In the morning we enjoyed a delectable breakfast at Amelia's Garden Restaurant, which is included in the price of the room. I had the omelet of the day, which had spinach, tomatoes and mushrooms and was fluffy, evenly cooked and delightful. It was served with fresh fruit, flavourful homefries and toast with their in-house jam, also a treat! The french toast, ordered by my companion, was definitely the winner though! Easily the best toast I have ever had. Our waitress was prompt, kind and helped direct us to local attractions.

While I imagine that Picton and Prince Edward County have more to offer in the summer, we thoroughly enjoyed visiting the Lake on the Mountain, Barley Days Brewery and the Black River Cheese Company.

I would recommend the Waring House for anyone looking for a luxurious stay for a reasonable price. I have absolutely nothing but positive things to say about any aspect of the stay and am thankful for the whole Waring House team for being so accommodating and making our quick stay so memorable. I feel certain that we will be back soon.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Fiona O
Norah R, Innkeeper at The Waring House, responded to this review, March 8, 2014
Hello Fiona
thank you very much for staying with us and for writing about your experience.. It is always great to read these reviews.... and they are being shared with all here at the Inn... and yes, while it is a little different in the winter months.. there is still so much to do, our own Brewery, the wineries and many other stores.. and!! of course a great time to read a book and relax.

Fiona, please pass your experience on to your family and friends, thank you again for staying with us and we hope you will visit us again...

Reviewed February 25, 2014 via mobile

Was my birthday weekend. They sent a lovely btl of red wine to our room, which was a hot tub room # 12 in The House Next Door. It was small but cozy. The TV was very small as well, We were watching Canada vs Swedes, Yay Canada Gold. Food was lovely in both the pub and Amelia's Garden. It was packed and the staff were super busy. My husband is a big guy, next time I will make sure I book a table that we are comfortable at, I asked if we could switch, but no go. We got used to it and had a nice night. After dinner the Celtic folk music was great and packed the pub. We sat at the bar and met some really friendly people ,stayed for a couple of hours. Then back to sit in the hot tub on our private deck under the stars. Up early next morning and over to the pub bar where the served us a very good and hot breakfast while we enjoyed watching Canada win Olympic Gold Men Hockey! Staff at the bar was great! And the Caesar's were great at 9 in the morning too! I loved it here and would return. Thx Wolfgang ( I know you were away during our visit) also Thankyou to Peter. Lynn + Rob

Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Tigerlily56
Norah R, Innkeeper at The Waring House, responded to this review, March 8, 2014
Hi Lynn and Rob,

thank you very much for staying with us and for writing about it..
all guest comments, all feedback is being shared with everyone here at the Inn on a regular basis.. It will be my pleasure talking about yours..

Lynn and Rob, pass on your experience and come and visit us again soon..

Wolfgang
Ottawa, Canada
Reviewed January 20, 2014

We stayed in one of their lodge rooms with a hot tub. It was part of the romantic getaway package, and it was fabulous. The room was great, with a hot tub and fireplace, wine and chocolates upon our arrival, live music in the cozy bar, and a truly fantastic dining experience, as the food was absolutely incredible. You have to try this place out for sure. We intend on visiting at least once a year to get away from the city.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Kevin S
Norah R, Innkeeper at The Waring House, responded to this review, February 3, 2014
Dear Kevin from Ottawa,

thank you very much for staying with us and for writing about your experience.. Feedback is shared with all here at the Inn and it is a delight to share your comments. You don't have to wait for another year, we have many great rates this time of year.. just check out our website
waringhouse.com or like us on Facebook, we send out updates, specials by e-blast but also post specials on our FB page..

Thank you again and we really appreciate your business.

Innkeeper
Ottawa, Canada
Reviewed January 15, 2014

My family and I recently spent the weekend here to celebrate my birthday. My husband and I had the vineyard cottage which was so romantic with its outdoor hot tub for two! The food in pub was ok, regular pub food. The dinner in Amelia's garden was good not great. It was better when we were there 2 years ago. However, the service was 5 star from all employees.
The rooms in THE HOUSE NEXT DOOR are cozy but maybe soon will need a bit of an uprade, but still clean and warm.
The entertainment in the pub was 5 star. Loved them.
Overall a great wkd. We will go back.

Room Tip: Loved the vineyard cottage. For a romantic wkd, choose this room.
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank amandaw183
Dear Amanda W. from Toronto,

thank you very much for staying with us and for writing about your experience. Your feedback is being shared with all at the Inn. We are glad that you enjoyed your stay with us, we acknowledge your comments about the meals and the furnishings.
We hope we can improve your guest experience on your next visit.

thank you again and we appreciate your business very much,

Innkeeper.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Picton
Picton Harbour Inn
The Miller's House Bed and Breakfast
Twin Birch Suites & Cottages
Twin Birch Suites & Cottages
#2 of 12 in Wellington

Been to The Waring House? Share your experiences!