“excellent food”

Ranked #2 of 5 Hotels in Picton
Gananoque, Canada
“excellent food”
Reviewed July 19, 2012

We were at the Claramount for the day and were referred to the Waring House as a sister property for our overnight stay. We were given a great rate on a large well furnished suite. Dinner was really excellent. After an afternoon touring the wineries in the area we also has some local wine with dinner. The restaurant looks over a very pretty area with bird baths and feeders that provide entertainment with your meal. Breakfast was included as well and it included ordering off the regular breakfast menu instead of a continental style buffet.

Room Tip: You can never go wrong with a suite which included a large comfortable sitting area and balcony
1 Thank Michael E

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (124)
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed July 13, 2012

Our recent trip to the Waring House, early July was indeed a memorable one, very unpleasant. Our accommodations were in the old building, which houses the pub, restaurant and kitchen. The room booked for our stay is on the second floor. On returning to our room, after dinner a large black bat flew at me. Immediately I called the front desk, and was told that they had had a problem with bats ( reception informed me that bats had been residing in the attic of this particular building) but thought they had solved the issue, afraid not. The room in which we were staying has a large crack under the door, making it very possible to have had an unexpected, and frightening guest, a bat enter the room. It was terrible enough to have a bat fly at me in the hallway, I do not want to imagine it coming at me in the small bedroom.! On speaking to the owners, they were quite nonchalant in respect to this incident, explaining that this is the country, and not unusual to have this occur. They never once asked if I had had any physical contact with the bat. Had I have had direct contact with the bat, I would have been advised to have precautionary vaccines in the event that the bat was carrying rabies as it would be difficult and costly to catch the particular bat for a lab analysis to determine if it were rabid, therefore vaccines are administered as a precaution when a person is scratched or bitten by one. Fortunately, this was not necessary. There is a bat issue in this particular building, hopefully it will be corrected, and therefore be free of bats.

5 Thank MARY S
ontario
Reviewed July 12, 2012

Finally getting around to sending in my review of this place. My husband and I enjoyed an amazingly romantic weekend at the Waring House in Picton. After reading the reviews on here I had mixed feelings about staying but thought I'd at least call and check it out. The girl in reservations, Gloria I thihk her name was, was a real treat. Very polite and knowledgeable with a cute sense of humour when my husband took the other phone and started a 3 way call. We ended up booking a wine tour package and had the time of our lives. I just want to point out a few things that I really enjoyed.

1. Our room in the little house next door to the main inn was lovely, clean and very romantic as promised
2. The pub dinner was really good with great food, service and nice cold beer, Entertainment was good but maybe a bit too loud for my taste.
3. The 4-course dinner was a novel experience, our first and most definitely not our last. Thoroughly enjoyed the meal and wine pairings. Thank you!
4. The garden was so beautiful and we have a number of photos to remember it by. I recommend bringing your camera.

We are coming to the county again in November for a friends weddings so are hoping to try their Countrylicious package Gloria told us about.

Give this place a try and try not to judge too quickly, read all of the reviews not just the negative. You won't regret it.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank mrs_travels_alot
Kingston, Canada
Reviewed July 10, 2012

My fiancee and I were looking for a cozy place in Prince Edward County for our upcoming wedding. The Waring House seemed like a beautiful venue and was just what we were looking for - accommodations on site, semi-rural, eastern Ontario, etc. I had also heard good things about them, so we thought we'd give them a shot.

Unfortunately, our interest never got off the ground due to a serious lack of customer service. We have, to this point, tried to contact their event coordinator five times (twice by email/webform, three times by phone) over six months and have never received a response or even an acknowledgement of our contact. I went by the facilities on a day off and was given a pamphlet with a bit of information, but the contact provided was unavailable. Every other venue we have contacted responded to us within 48 hours (most within 2-3 hours), but the Waring House doesn't seem to feel responding to interested customers, especially for something as important as a wedding, is a critical part of their business model. We were fairly sad about this, especially given all the good things we had heard about the venue and others' experiences. Unfortunately, ours was a fair bit different right from the get go.

My overall rating given here is terrible, simply because I never got the chance to actually see how this place actually was. We will be looking elsewhere for our wedding, and thankfully we have a number of other venues that seem to be interested in actually hosting us for the most important day of our lives.

7 Thank Svenicus
Norah R, Owner at The Waring House, responded to this review, July 24, 2012
Dear “Never got off the ground”
I am very disappointed but also perplexed to hear of your difficulty in contacting one of The Waring House event planners. Our team answers requests very efficiently and effectively. The manager has worked with us for over a decade and has a wonder reputation for excellent service, and her assistant is also very service oriented.
Filters in the IT system beyond our control can remove emails to junk mail but in fact junk mail is checked for this express reason. There is a site on the website to request a proposal for an event and these are faithfully and efficiently answered. The main event planner works Wednesday through Sunday each week.
By dialling The Waring House number and following the directions you are transferred to her number, she answers the telephone when she is in her office. If she is not there to answer, the message gives you her cell phone number. I have worked with our event planner as I said for over a decade and she simply does not fail to answer calls.
Norah Rogers
Innkeeper
Aurora
Reviewed June 23, 2012

On our first trip to Prince Edward County, we dined here twice, and had excellent meals and friendly, efficient service both times. On Friday night, the great live music added to the entertainment, and the warm, friendly crowd made us feel right at home (only more fun), making the restaurant one of the best experiences of our trip. A "must do".

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
Norah R, Owner at The Waring House, responded to this review, July 24, 2012
Dear “Wonderful Restaurant”
Thank you so much for your kind comments. As you mention the music, it sounds like you enjoyed your meal in The Barley Room Pub. We’re so glad you enjoyed it.
We hope you will return some day and enjoy the wonderful food in our find dining restaurant, Amelia’s Garden. Executive Chef Luis de Sousa and Chef Neil Dowson and their culinary tem in the dining room and pub create many memorable evenings. I’m so glad your visit was enjoyed.
Norah Rogers
Innkeeper
Toronto Canada
Reviewed June 11, 2012

Last night my husband and I ate at the pub. It was so disappointing. The buildings are beautiful. The setting wonderful. A beautiful summer evening in a lovely setting. The service was good . Our server explained that there was no pate left for the Ploughman's lunch but offered extra cheese. The cheese had been cut several hours earlier and left to stand out uncovered. The vegetables, Broccoli, celry and carrots had been prepared also much earlier and were rather dry and unappetizing to look at. The pickled onion was very tough and difficult to chew. My husbad ordered chicken wings. They were lukewarm, and the batter mushy. The fries were also at room temperature and the coleslaw in mayonnaise was tepid . Not a good idea as the evening was very warm. Our beer was cold and delicious. This is a bad review for a beautiful place that should serve good food. We have been part time residents of the County for 22 years and though we have gone to the restaurant a few times over the years we will not return. Bev D. Toronto

Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
5 Thank Toron2david
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed June 2, 2012

Positive: The Waring House is situated in a convenient location with easy access to the attractions. Our room in the new building was nice, clean and roomy and we did not experience any noise issues.

Negative: Breakfast was way overpriced for what it was, and there are generally much better food options in PEC than anything they have to offer for any meal. Service was basically nonexistent. One example is the way we were treated for arriving before the check in time unannounced: they almost behaved as if we were insulting them by showing up and basically threw us out!!

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with friends
4 Thank ATBN
Norah R, Owner at The Waring House, responded to this review, June 4, 2012
Dear ATBN,
Thank you for your recent review. I am glad you found our location convenient.
You mentioned you did not find our breakfast offerings to be of good value, and since I noticed that your stay occurred some time ago, I wanted to mention that full breakfasts are now complimentary for all overnight guests. Because so much time has lapsed since your visit, I am unable to ascertain with certainty why front desk staff acted as they did to your request for early check-in, but please know that we share your expectation of polite service in all circumstances are continually working to improve our customer service.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Picton
Picton Harbour Inn
The Miller's House Bed and Breakfast
Twin Birch Suites & Cottages
Twin Birch Suites & Cottages
#2 of 12 in Wellington

Been to The Waring House? Share your experiences!