“Wonderful stay at Edwardian House B&B”

The Edwardian House Bed and Breakfast
Ranked #23 of 43 Picton B&B and Inns
Toronto, Canada
“Wonderful stay at Edwardian House B&B”
Reviewed August 26, 2013

Recently stayed at the Edwardian House B&B and had a wonderful time there. Although we had stayed only one night, everything from the beds, bathroom and breakfast were excellent. Paul and Silvina are gracious hosts and make you feel welcome in their home. The breakfast was excellent (vegetarian as mentioned in other reviews) and we were even given muffins to take with us on the road. Would recommend to anyone looking for a B&B in Picton.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Silvinapauledwards, Owner at The Edwardian House Bed and Breakfast, responded to this review, October 18, 2013
Thank you for your kind and honest review.

Solo
Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed August 16, 2013

My wife and I recently stayed at the charming Edwardian House B&B in Picton Ontario. Like a previous reviewer I too found the lack of tripadvisor reviews somewhat disconcerting. The property is well-appointed and centrally located in downtown Picton so you're within walking distance of many restaurants and charming boutiques. Paul and Sylviana were gracious hosts and we appreciated that they weren't always visible or omnipresent which is what I had feared might be the case (having never stayed at a B&B before) Our room was very clean and comfortable.

The only negatives were the soap and shampoo - it was "Pert" shampoo and "Softsoap" bodywash both in family-sized bottles. There is nothing wrong with these brands per se but rather when on holiday we like to feel like we're really away from home and the ordinary. We're used to small bottles of luxurious brands in hotels and resorts that make you feel pampered.

We also would have appreciated being told how to get in touch with our hosts if we needed something at any point during our stay. We didn't actually need to contact them about anything while we were there but if we had it would have been awkward for us to skulk around the dining room or the sitting room and wait for them to show up.

Breakfasts were very tasty and quite healthy. I wouldn't hesitate to recommend The Edwardian House B&B to anyone and would stay again if in the area.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your honest and helpful review. We hope to learn from your comments and improve in the future.
Pickering, Canada
Reviewed July 23, 2013

I just came back from a lovely weekend in Prince Edward County. Going away for the weekend was a last minute decision and it proved to be a challenge to find somewhere to stay. The Edwardian House B&B in Picton wasn't my first pick. There was the fact that I could not find any review which puzzled me. But after having no luck elsewhere, I reasoned that if there was something seriously wrong with the place, someone would have felt compelled to write about it so the lack of info wasn't necessarily a bad thing. A very pleasant man (Paul) answered the phone and took my reservation and this further reassured me that our stay at this B&B would turn out to be good.

THE HOUSE
As soon as we arrived, I found the exterior of the house and neighborhood very pleasing. Parking is parallel style in the long driveway which I found not ideal but that was a minor detail. Located on main street, it's an easy walking distance to some restaurants and shops. Once I got in, hurrah! It was all tidy and clean which is always my top criteria. It is a very big house. Lots of space in all the rooms I saw. Nicely decorated. There is a pond and gazebo outside where you can sit and relax with a nice bottle of wine you may have purchased in one of the numerous wineries of the region. Which is what the other couple staying at the same time as us did one evening. They got bothered by mosquitoes a bit but said after killing a bunch, no more came and it was the most wonderful evening.

Thing to note: A big plus for us was that we could leave our bicycles in the garage overnight.

THE ROOM
Our room was the Wilcocks. It is located on the second floor at the front of the house. I initially wondered if the cars passing by would bother us but the traffic must be light at night because no noise bothered us. The AC unit was noisy but since it was a constant noise, I found it easy to ignore it after a while. We found the bed and pillows very comfortable. No TV but we didn't miss it. There was a sun room but we did not use it. There is a mini-refrigerator and well stocked coffee & tea station in the hallway right outside the room which are nice touches. We used the refrigerator to store our next day's picnic and to freeze water bottles.

Thing to note: In my haste to book a place, I never noted that the room had a “private bathroom” versus an en-suite. So I was a tad disappointed to find out our bathroom was at the other end of the hall. I did not have the best PJ to walk around in public! But the good news was that we didn't have to share it and big plush bathrobes are provided in the room. It was nice, big and clean with big soft towels and a hair dryer so for only one night, I didn't mind having to walk down the hall. That's the only reason I give 4 star for value. For the price, I would have liked an en-suite. Everything else was 5 star for a B&B.

THE BREAKFAST
Breakfast was served in the large and bright dining room at 8:30am. As soon as I opened my door, the smell of baked goods made me salivate. After serving coffee and juice, Paul brought warm plates with very attractive looking pancakes with fresh strawberries and bananas, all lightly sprinkled with powdered sugar. We happily poured a delicious warm homemade blueberry sauce over them. There was also syrup, jam and homemade lemon curd. By the time the freshly baked banana & pineapple with cranberry jam center muffins came out, I was too full to try them. But they looked delicious. In addition to coffee and tea, orange and apple juice were available. Thing to note: My husband and I were happy with our breakfast and the other couple appeared genuinely satisfied as well but I wondered about people who eat huge breakfasts. There was no bacon or peameal bacon available. And after revisiting the website, I noticed it does state that “vegetarian” breakfasts are served. Good news for some, bad news for others. For us, it was a perfect start for our day.

THE HOSTS
Paul and Silvina had out-of-town family members visiting for the weekend and we stayed only 1 night so there wasn't much time to get to know them but they proved to be excellent hosts. They both welcomed us and showed us around the house. They were very eager and helpful in making a dinner reservation. Paul gave us a little history on the house at breakfast time with the interesting fact that the big tree in their yard is thought to be the oldest gingko biloba tree in Canada. Service at breakfast was very attentive and Paul had some cycling routes to suggest.

ACTIVITIES
From the very first time we went to PEC years ago, we fell in love and have been dreaming of getting a second home in the area. We usually go camping to Sandbanks Provincial Park and rarely leave the park. This was the first time we really took the time to explore the area a little more. We “kayaked” to the sand dunes on West Lake one day (from Wellington) and biked the second day and it was just absolutely wonderful. We stopped in Bloomfield on our way to Picton to buy our picnic at the Marshmallow Room (The Bloomfield Carriage House). Some sandwiches, crostinis, pâté, sinful pastries and we were all set. All very very delicious but I found the prices high for the very small portions. I guess that's the price to pay for quality food in a tourist zone. Note that there are several supermarkets in Picton where you can stock up on picnic fare. East and Main Bistro in Wellington also prepares gourmet picnics with 12 hour notice. We were unfortunately too last minute to be able to try that option.

Dinner was at Lake on the Mountain. Nice setting with views of Ontario Lake on one side and Lake on the Mountain on the other side. We originally booked a table outside but found it quite crowded when we got there so asked to go inside where it was more private. The waitress was very nice and patient with us as we relocated twice. We were satisfied with our meal but nothing memorable. We found the price high for what it was. But it is what it is. It's a tourist zone, so most businesses are trying to milk it. Of course, opinions always diverge. The other couple that stayed at our B&B went the same night and found their meal “FABULOUS” to use their words. It was our host, Silvina, that recommended the place. I can see how the view and atmosphere on the patio on a nice summer night can detract from the flaws with the food. Our reservation was for 8pm and we still waited for our food about an hour. The bread they brought felt like it was cut much earlier in the day and left to dry. We were really starved by the time the food arrived. My salmon with beurre blanc and wheatberry rice pilaf was satisfying but nothing special about it. My husband's lamb shank was fall off the bone but quite bland. The molten chocolate lava cupcakes took a long time to come as well. Good but nothing to knock socks off. Overall I found the menu unimaginative. But still an ok fall back option if you can't get in a specific restaurant like it happened to us. Just don't expect to have the meal of your life and hopefully service will be faster.

Thing to note: If visiting during the weekend and you have a very specific place in mind for dinner, make your dinner reservations as soon as possible. Paul and Silvina will be happy to help. We waited too long and couldn't get into the restaurant we wanted. Other places were booked until 8pm and even later.

Our bike ride on the second day was awesome! From Lake on the Mountain, we took County Road 7 all the way around the peninsula, came back via County Road 8 and then cut through via Bradley Crossroad (a narrow dirt road with no traffic). A couple hills but nothing unmanageable for the occasional rider. However, I wouldn't attempt the ride the other way around because there would be a lot more uphill that way. We usually cycle off-road on rail trails so I was wondering how riding on the shoulder would be but there wasn't enough traffic to be annoying. Some parts were very quiet. Stops included a picnic at Prinyer's cove (a small public park with nothing special but a dock to eat your picnic by the lake), Fifth Town Artisan Cheese factory (for cheeses and local products), Waupoos Estates Winery & Little Highbush Blueberry farm (for pesticide free blueberries). There were other wineries on the way as well as art galleries but we don't drink and didn't have the time for more stops anyway. Depending on where your ride starts from, the time you leave and how fast you ride, Waupoos Estates Winery Patio Bar & Grill seemed like a very nice place to have lunch. Open only for lunch during weekends, they have a reasonable menu served under the big tent with a lovely view. You can't bring your bikes on the property but there is a bike rack to lock your bikes at the wine store. We are non-drinkers so our main reason for stopping was to check out the chocolate store. The chocolate gelato was delish and a nice touch on a very hot day. Another nice thing to do for wine lovers would be to get a cheese plate prepared at Fifth Town and then a nice bottle of wine to complement (personnel at both places will know what pairs best). There are also some farm stands along the way where you can buy jams and pepper jelly to accompany your cheese(s) and wine(s).

Thing to note for bikers: There is a porta-potty that doesn't smell too bad at Prinyer's cove. There was even toilet paper! Fith Town and Wapoos Winery have very clean and attractive bathrooms. And worst comes to worst, lots of friendly bushes along the way...

So to summarize, go ahead and book a room at The Edwardian B&B with no worries and go enjoy the bounty the area has to offer! You'll have a wonderful stay!

Room Tip: If you want an ensuite, book the Ross room . The other 2 rooms eah have a private bathroom but in t...