“Friendly casual atmosphere with excellent food”
Review of Chesterfields Homegrown Cafe - CLOSED

No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
Chesterfields Homegrown Cafe
Cuisines: Canadian
Ottawa, Canada
“Friendly casual atmosphere with excellent food”
Reviewed September 4, 2011

We booked a room at a popular resort in Prince Edward County. We were extremely disappointed with our experience at the restaurant attached to that resort, so we had to find somewhere else to eat breakfast. One of the locals recommended the Homegrown cafe. This turned out to be excellent advice.

The cafe is small and very much "homegrown". It's located in a converted house. All the food served there is sourced locally whenever possible. The menu is small be excellent. The staff is friendly and efficient and attentive. You must be prepared to wait a little bit, but the food is well worth it.

We ate there every morning of our stay. My favourite breakfast turned out to be the Eggs Benedict served over home-made corn bread. The eggs were poached perfectly every time, the sauce was delicious and the corn bread tasty. The combination was a little unusual but just worked. Another breakfast I tried is the omelette with 3 cheeses. The omelette was done well and oozed cheese and I could taste the excellent goat cheese, I had purchased the previous day at one of the local cheese outlet. It was served with excellent multi-grain bread from the bakery across the street.

My husband favourite breakfast was a sandwich consisting of eggs, cheese and sausage. The little sandwich just oozed with goodness. All their dishes was served with truly awesome oven baked home fries.

My husband remarked on the excellent coffee.

The portions were a bit on the small side, if you are used to giant American-sized portions. But we never left hungry or unsatisfied and the breakfasts kept us going well past lunch.

The decor was cheerful, with painted murals everywhere, but could have used a lick of paint to freshen it up. The atmosphere was upbeat with the chef, also serving as DJ. Classic songs from "The Who" made frequent appearances. The only negative point is the lack of ventilation. Being a converted house, the rooms are fairly small and a bit too warm. Maybe the cafe would benefit from installing ceiling fans.

The cafe also has an outdoor terrace with a smoothie bar. We found the terrace too noisy due to the street noise from the main street. We did not sample any of the smoothies, but if the food is any indication, they are probably excellent.

All in all, I highly recommend the cafe, if you are in the mood for a good, down-to-earth, homegrown breakfast.

• Visited August 2011

Toronto, Canada
“Overpriced”
Reviewed July 12, 2011

We had lunch at Chesterfields while visiting PEC Lavender in The County and it didn't live up to our expectations. We ordered the pulled pork sandwiches ($8) and while they were tasty enough, the portions were VERY small. Also, when it says "served with coleslaw" we didn't expect the coleslaw to be on top of the meat, in the bun. Very weird. I ordered the dessert special ($5); lemon cake topped with fresh strawberries and whipped cream. It was okay, nothing special. We sat on the patio where, fortunately, we were able to enjoy a nice breeze. Inside it was stifling hot and kind of dingy. Enjoyed the fresh fruit (frozen actually) smoothie. Wouldn't go out of our way to visit again.

• Visited July 2011
Asheville, North Carolina
“Superb brunch menu-great execution”
Reviewed June 30, 2011

This place, on Main Street in Picton has lots of competition for coffee-breakfast places but as far as I could tell, no one else touches them. My meal, their take on Eggs Benedict, was outstanding. This can be a tough dish for someone who doesn't know how to poach the perfect egg. These guys know how. I ate at a table on the sidewalk since I was with my dog and the server/owner couldn't have been nicer or more accommodating. When I had to go inside to pay with my credit card, she brought her husband-chef out to sit with my dog while I attended to business. If I were a breakfast eater in Picton I'd probably be there every day.

• Visited June 2011
Ottawa, Canada
“Delicious local eats, great value, funky atmoshpere”
Reviewed June 10, 2011

Chesterfield's has become our go-to restaurant every time we're in Picton. We've tried several of the menu items, and never been disappointed. This funky cafe/eatery located on Main Street has a great selection of very affordable and fresh breakfast and lunch items: homemade waffles with your choice of toppings, juicy pulled pork sandwiches, and classic eggs, bacon and toast. What sets Chesterfield's apart is the quality of ingredients used; primarily locally sourced breads, cheeses, veggies, etc. The homemade cookies and cinnamon buns are to die for.

Works by local artists hang on the walls, and funky beats come from the record player, making Chesterfield's a really fun, casual and comfortable place to have a great bite, enjoy a cup of coffee with your newspaper, and watch the world pass by on Main Street (there are also patio sets outside if you want to soak in some sunshine). You really can't go wrong!

• Visited June 2011