“Decant young wines if requested”

Blumen Garden Bistro
Ranked #1 of 77 Restaurants in Picton
Cuisines: International
Good for: Local cuisine, Business meetings, Romantic, Special occasions
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Dinner, Reservations
Reviewed June 1, 2013

This is my mother's favourite restaurant in the county. It was the Saturday of the Mother's Day weekend and my wife and I decided to make the 3-1/2 drive from Kitchener to be with my Mother and treat her to dinner.
My wife and I have been on a number of wine tours in North America and Europe; we like to keep up with what is going on in the industry and gravitate to experienced wine people that aren't the salesperson type. We have had many extended conversations with respected people at various vineyards. In recent years it has become common knowledge in the industry that even young wines benefit from decanting. According to some any red wine under 8 years old should be decanted without thought.
My wife chose a local wine from the list; I requested it be decanted. The waiter returned, apparently that wine was no longer available. We went with a second choice, then the waiter informed us that they generally only decant old wines. As he left he said but we can decant it if you want. I passed as I didn't want to make a fuss.
During dinner I couldn't help notice other patrons swirling their wine like crazy in an attempt aerate and bring out the full experience.
What's the big deal, another item to wash? We will be patronizing other restaurants in the future.
The food was good but the waiter put a bad taste in our mouths. What ever happened to doing what it takes to satisfy the customer?

4  Thank David_Decant_Please

Reviewed May 31, 2013

It is hardly fair that Picton Pop:4000 has a restaurant this Fabulous.
We had spent the afternoon at Terroir the County wide wine celebration and reserved at Blumen Gardens since it was within walking distance (at least it looked that way on Google maps).
Needless to say it was a stimulating walk on a brisk breezy PEC afternoon and I was reminded of the actual distance regularly along the way......the walk was worth it
As we were early we read the menu posted at the door and a gentleman who is a regular stoppet to ask..."Have you ever been before?" & when we shook our collective heads he said...Good choice! man was he right!
Warm greeting, seated immediately, menu's drink orders (I can't believe she orders Singapore Slings....they haven't made those since 82 and I am driving sooo club soda).
Appetizers were pan seared scallops and a mixed greens salad both very nice.
Mains......Med/Rare Rib eye with fingerling potatoes + peas and oddly enough for me Pulled rabbit on gnocchi. Now I only eat rabbit because I can use the idea to torture children but it was so nice. The Gnocchi was creamy the rabbit tender, juicy and great torture fodder. The Ribeye was just right,succulent and almost made me regret telling the server it wasn't mine.
Service, it was how service is supposed to be, give us some time alone but be helpful and friendly...we even got to see pictures of his new camping trailer. It is the kind of place I would go for EVERY special occasion. I would go back tonight but I just ate and it is 400Km.
In PEC THIS is a place NOT to be missed if you like good food and wonderful service,
I cannot say enough about Blumen Gardens!
Five Stars for me all the way!

Reviewed May 28, 2013

Dinner was excellent. Our waiter was very friendly and the service we received was great. We had the vegetarian portabella schnitzel and the pork tenderloin for our mains and they were both very tasty and nicely prepared. For dessert we had the chocolate cheesecake and the rhubarb and banana strudel and they were both excellent. We each had beer and coffee and our bill was $85 which we thought was very well priced for the meal and service we received. We will definitely return.

Reviewed May 28, 2013

We were in PEC (Prince Edward County) checking out the now over 30 wineries. We always make a point to have at least one dinner at Blumen. It is on the road out of Picton, just before the golf course. Besides a great interior with art (that can be purchased) from local painters, it has a screened in patio and an open patio as well. Menu changes regularly, but one of our favourite's is the salad with a Pear & Vanilla Vinaigrette. My wife had the Skate ( a special) & I had the Yellow Fin Tataki with Shrimp appetizer with the Pulled Rabbit. Both were as great as usual. We have never had a bad meal there and the service was excellent. If you like the salad dressing, ask the server for a bottle when your main course comes to the table. They bottle and label it as you order it so you know it is fresh. It is a must try for anyone visiting PEC.

Reviewed May 25, 2013

Went on a week night and was not busy. Chef was sitting talking with many patrons. First waiter was a little kurt for my liking but we luckily didn't have to be served by him!
Food was good, small plates, and very tasty.
Rabbit gnocchi was delicious.
Scallops with beef cheek was also delicious.
Wine was well priced for restaurant, drank from the County, which I would say is a must...
Will be back.