“Everything was so-so”

Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Morin Heights
Montreal, Canada
“Everything was so-so”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 4, 2010

My girlfriend and I stayed at the Spa le Refuge during the weekend of October 2nd and 3rd. We were expecting an experience appropriate for a three-star hotel. What we experienced was more like a two-star hotel.

Pros:

The reception staff very very friendly and seemed genuine.

The backyard spa area is relaxing and pleasant. It was an interesting experience to be outside in crisp October weather in a bathing suit and then be in a hot tub watching the sky (with Jupiter in prominence).

We also has a massage in our package and the masseuses were exceptionally talented at their craft.

The next-day breakfast was satisfying. The eggs arrived with potatoes and fruits and a few slices of tomatoes. Toast and coffe/tea is all you can eat from the bread bar area.

Cons:

The driveway entrance is almost on the corner of two provincial highways. So, if cars start to accumulate while waiting for a green light in front of the Refuge, then nobody can turn into the driveway from the opposing direction. We had to go further to the gas station, turn around and come back, wait in line until the light changed so that we could finally enter the property.

The restaurant staff don't seem overly thrilled to be doing their job.
The meals included with the package were minimal. My entrée was a bowl of soup, which arrived in a small bowl and was half full. My main meal was the fish of the day. It came with minimal garnishing. For dessert, I chose the apple pie. It arrived with a burnt bottom crust. I sent it back and asked for another slice. The second slice arrived with a burnt crust. The dinner was a very disappointing experience.

Stayed October 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Ray G

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
Val des Monts
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 27, 2010

The rooms clean, the food was exceptional, service at front desk was very good.
The steam room: very dirty, shower didn't work.
The quiet area inside: ceilings are falling apart and it seemed and the blankets were not changed.
The cold spring: two steps down and then to get into the running cold water you need to take two steps up again, why not just make it flat.
The luke warm pool: Dirty all around the edges, dirty at the bottom.
the hot tub: was ok
The restaurant was excellent 10/10
Outside in general: zero gravity chairs are broken, some are even dangerous, WEEDS everywhere, there was a plastic water bottle inbetween the rocks for 2 days, no one bothered to pick it up.

Do not go here.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with friends
1 Thank Skullfrackim

Travelers are raving about these Morin Heights hotels

quebec
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 17, 2010

I did not stay at the hotel but the spa was not good. The hot tubs were cold and tepid. The staff at the fron tdesk was nice but there was some grouchy mean man staring at you all day and making it very unpleasant and definitly NOT relaxing. Less expensive than Scandinave but as the sayin goes you get what you pay for. I definitely would NOT recommend this place.

Stayed August 2010, traveled with friends
Montreal, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 9, 2008

I went at this place with my girlfriend in the beginning of January 2008. I was looking for a nice little place to spend a little romantic week-end far from big city (but not isolated either). I booked for a room with bathtub, and for a dinner at the restorant. The meal we had there was really good (good value with the combo) and the little restorant they have there is really nice. Before I went there, I never experienced the concept of Nordic bath, but I must say that if I wouldn't have booked a room with a bathub had I known I would spent most of my evening in the spa and sauna. They are very well designed and you don't have to walk too much. The breakfast was better than you sometime can expect for a place like this.

On the negative side, we were put on the first floor, near the laundry room, and we had noise coming from there early in the morning and late in the evening.

Anyway we had a really pleasant stay and we would come back anytime.

• Liked — The baths, the food
  • Disliked — Noisy first floor
  • Stayed January 2008, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Quebec
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 4, 2008

I live in Morin Heights and regularly attend the several spas in the area but this one is the worst! There is nothing wrong with the spa itself, the reception people are just horrible.

First off, I always call ahead to find out if their promotions are still on offer and never get a kind response, I usually get "well, who told you that? It has never been that way here and we cannot give you that rate!" This, while I look at the current local paper's advertising??? Or, they are currently offering a $25 dollar special if you go in the evening with a pasta dinner is included. When I call, I tell the lady that I don't want the pasta dinner, just use of the spa. She tells me that that would be 30$ and there's no place this evening, I'd have to reserve for another night...

Guess what, I'll just go elsewhere, thanks!
I find their service people appauling!

Stayed April 2008
2 Thank simnonin
PQ
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 4, 2008

This spa has the worst customer service of any spa my wife and I have ever been to. It is certainly the worst in the Morin Heights/Saint Sauveur area (and we have been to them all).
Staff are rude and arrogant. They have no idea how to be civil to people and treat you as if it's a privilege just to be allowed through the door.
It's a surprising attitude given the competition from the other two, excellent spas nearby - Spa Le Baltique and Ofuro.

I can't recommend this place - which is a pity because the spa facilities themselves are quite good for the price

• Liked — The Facilities
  • Disliked — The terrible staff
  • Stayed May 2008
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Montreal, Quebec
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 18, 2008

My boyfriend and I stayed at the Refuge for 1 night package and paid about $300 for a "suite" (mid-week) We were off to a rough start when we got a the front desk and found out that there were additional charges that we were not informed when booking.. Really it was not about the charges, but the attitude was a real turn off. We were 3 couples in the entire hotel and they wanted to charge us for showing off 2 hours early (we did not wanted the room but rather have access to the spa) It does not make sense to me to go for a day at the spa in February and enjoy the sun only starting in the mid-afternoon... The sun goes down at 15:00... We foudn it pretty ridiculous.

The manager was quit rude and not customer focus.

We asked for a suite we saw and their website when we booked to discover that again there was extra charges to get this room. We ended up paying another extra for the room. It was nothing special. However, it was very clean.

The dinner was included in our package and was delicious. The service was also very good. The ambiance and everything was perfect.

The breakfast was a different story. We asked for orange juice and got pinneaple juice. We told the waitress and she refused to acknoledge her mistake and was very rude. Eventually, the 2 other couples got down for breakfast and had the same comment. She was still in compete denial!!!!!

The spa is nice, it is cozy and quiet.

I would not recommend for people to sleep there. One day visit is enough.

Stayed February 2008
#2 of 6 in Saint Sauveur des Monts
Hotel Spa Watel
Hotel Spa Watel
#3 of 4 in Sainte Agathe des Monts

Been to Auberge & Spa le Refuge? Share your experiences!