Northern Beaver Post Cottages
See what travelers are saying:
FilterAll languages
Reviewed September 14, 2010

We were on a trip up to the Yukon and it was evening as we reached Watson Lake. As we traveled with 2 elderly ladies not used to long hours of driving did we stop in WL and looked for accommodations.
We did not find something suitable for our large family in WL itself but one of the receptionists recommended Northern Beaver Post (Nugget City) to us and also called to make sure they have room. We drove out there and took a look at the cabins and since it was already evening decided to stay there.
My mistake, I should have asked for the cost first! 2 cabins for one night over 600.- dollars. Now I know why they abandoned Gold mining, because the Gold is not in the hills it’s in the pocket of the tourists.
The cabins where OK, nothing special, right along the Highway, they seem to be clean. The meals are good and nice size portions but here again fairly expensive.
Everything in the store and the restaurant is way overpriced, but what do you do if you have a van full of hungry people in the middle of nowhere.
On top of spending about 1000.- for beds and meals for one night my daughter left her camera behind in the room (we know it was in the room) but when realizing that 2 hours later and calling to ask them to put it aside it was already gone and nowhere to be found anymore.
So unless you are very rich and don’t mind someone else getting rich because of you don’t stay there.

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled with family
10  Thank Swinada
Reviewed June 23, 2009

I was traveling along the Alaska Hwy late at night. There did not seem to be anything open along the whole highway it was around 12am and I was getting worried that I wouldn't have a place to stay. All of a sudden I came across this beautiful business situated 15 minutes west of Watson Lake.

Turns out the owners, Scott and Linda Goodwin, were still up and they had rooms available. I hadn't eaten anything since lunch so they even gave me my options of dinner and served me at 12 am!

I got a front cabin and loved it's cozy feel. It was a bit small, but clean, beautifully built and worth the price. I woke the next morning to a hearty breakfast in the restaurant and went on my way.

This is an amazing spot to stop for the night. They offer food in the restaurant, different types of accommodations (wither traveling alone or with someone), a beautiful gift shop, an RV Park, mechanic shop and a gas station. I would recommend this business to anyone!

• Stayed: June 2009, traveled solo
2  Thank Amber G
Reviewed October 9, 2008

I stayed here in late September. The cabin was very nice, especially the bathroom. My only small complaint would be that the propane heater was rather noisy when it turned off/on. When I went to bed I just turned the thermostat way down. I'm guessing this would be a non-issue in summer.

• Stayed: September 2008, traveled solo
    • Check in / front desk
1  Thank Good2go1964
Reviewed July 12, 2008

I don't know what place these other reviewers stayed at, except the one about all the mosquitoes, because this is one of the worst places we ever stayed. Scott and Linda, the owners, were cold and snobbish. I don't think our van met their high standards. The electricity was out in our cabin and they said they'd look into it but didn't and then were nowhere to be found. Luckily we had a couple of emergency candles with us, otherwise we'd be battling mosquitoes in the dark.

the cabin didn't seem to have been cleaned in ages. I don't appreciate other people's hair in the sink, sorry about that! :(

The bed was uncomfortable and we had the squeamish feeling the sheets weren't clean. the droning of mosquitoes kept us awake all night. Water barely trickled out of the tap. All things considered, we got out of there as fast as possible. We would have been more comfortable sleeping in our van. At least we know it's clean.

I recommend that everyone run a mile from this place!

• Stayed: July 2007
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
12  Thank Northernboy78
Reviewed April 7, 2007

I'd advise you to get up early in Fort Nelson and drive all the way to Whitehorse. There's nothing to see here. Our cabin was like a construction shed. There were screens on the windows, but we were inundated with hungry mosquitos. We killed what seemed like a hundred before we went to bed. At 3 a.m. we were awakened by the humming of hundreds more, in our room! We threw our stuff in the car and left.

• Stayed: June 2006