“Cute Cabins with Few Amenities”
Review of Nugget City

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Watson Lake
Nugget City
Reviewed May 27, 2014

When it's after 9 p.m., it's snowing, we've been driving all day, the lodge up the road is full (such a bummer, too - the price at the Rancheria Lodge is much more reasonable, the host is friendly, and they are pet-friendly), and we are traveling with a pet...you take what you can get. The cabins are cute and clean. The price, at first, seems reasonable, until the add-ons begin. When I'm paying close to $150 (CAD), I expect more in the way of amenities. There is no Wi-Fi in the rooms. (The office has Wi-Fi and does stay open late.) There is no microwave in the room (with nowhere to eat, we would have appreciated being able to heat up left-overs from our cooler). And, there are no tables or chairs in the room. We did appreciate that they are pet-friendly (for a fee) and that we had running water (for, you guessed it, a fee). In the future, we will try to push on before stopping at Nugget City.

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled on business
1  Thank BReall
There are newer reviews for Nugget City

Reviewed May 7, 2014

After being on the road for 16 hours, got there at about 7pm (they keep reservations until midnight, as confirmed by owner via email before I made reservation) and found out our reservation got bumped. I told the guy I had a reservation (I walked in with the email confirmation) and he says "No you don't, I don't have any place to put you". He said he tried to contact me but I had no missed call/voicemail and nothing was sent to my email, which is how I was initially communicating with the owners during the pre-reservation process. Another traveler arrived at the same time and found out her reservation was bumped as well and she had called and confirmed her reservation only a couple of hours before her arrival. We were told there was a place 20 minutes down the road taking their overflow but we were traveling with pets and they were not pet friendly.

• Stayed: April 2014
8  Thank Jazmyn13
Reviewed April 19, 2014

My wife and I had driven from Dawson Creek stopped @ Nugget City to see what they would charge for a cabin. This was March 15, 2014. $125.00 the young man working there said. I appreciate the cabins are new but anywhere else they are all under a hundred bucks. I took two coffee in Styrofoam cups for four dollars. The young man was a nice.

Today, April 18, 2014, I stopped there, walked over to the coffee and poured a Styrofoam cup of coffee. The owner told me it was $3.10! I said on March 15 it was two dollars. He said something like, that was not his problem and them proceeded in a condescending voice tell me how his cash register computes the price. I pushed the coffee back across the counter at him and said, "no thanks, I don't want it." He said to me, "what the hell am I suppose to do with it, you ordered it." I told him, "yes, but that was before you told me it was three dollars and ten cents." I turned and left at which point he told me, "don't bother coming back." I replied, "no problem.'

I then drove up the highway and got a cup of coffee at Rancheria for $1.75.

If you are travelling the Alaska Highway between Fort Nelson and Whitehorse stay, eat and get coffee at Tetza River, Toad River, Double G at Muncho Lake or Rancheria.

Room Tip: The owner is ripping people off. I predict he will go out of business.
  • Stayed: April 2014, traveled solo
4  Thank Ken P
Reviewed October 4, 2013 via mobile

My wife, infant son and I had just taken the long drive from Smithers, we usually stay at the Rancheria Lodge about an hour northwest of Nugget City, it had been a long day and we were all tired, so I thought we would try someplace new, big mistake. The cabin was almost 200.00 per night once they added tax and water surcharge, (yes they charge you for water) When we went to get something to eat at the restaurant, they gave us menus, then decided that they didn't want to cook anything on the grill since it was getting late. (The kitchen was supposed to be open for 30 more minutes when they gave us menus) We were then told by the cook that all they had was spaghetti, desperate for a hot meal, we ordered it, it was mediocre at best and cost over 40.00 for two helpings...

When we got to our room, it was nice enough, the bed was a bit small for two people, but the toilet didn't flush well at all. Overall we couldn't help but feel like we had been ripped off. I would not recommend this place to anyone. We are Alaskans, and this is not how visitors to the north should be treated. This is price gouging at its worst.

Stayed: August 2013
6  Thank AKJustin
Reviewed September 21, 2013 via mobile

On the Alaska highway surrounded by nothing but wilderness, bears, moose, caribou, wolves and bright colorful sunsets. Was very lucky to enjoy a spectacular northern lights show with the colors waving and dancing into the sky. Food in the restaurant is excellent, the head chef Dave is a great character. There are several small lakes on the property for hiking and nature viewing. Convenient full service property, gift store, cabins, restaurant, rv park, gas station, vehicle repair center.

• Stayed: August 2013
Reviewed August 21, 2013

After a very long trip up the Cassier Hwy we were looking forward to some hometown downhome overnighting and good food. What a disappointment... Overpriced cabin (bed was so small and uncomfortable) and you were a prisoner to the restaurant unless you wanted to drive the 13 miles +or- to Watson Lake (next time I will for lodging and food!!) Managed to get to sleep and then someone let off fireworks (in August) to wake us up. Oh well, live and learn. Next time on the way to Whitehorse Ill take the right turn to Watson Lake and stay at the Nice Motel and travel back the 13 miles.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
5  Thank beemergirl55
Reviewed August 16, 2013

Hosts Scott and Linda made our stay super! We had the best night of sleep on our long trip down the Alcan. Food was good in the Wolf it down café and we found some truly unique gifts in the gift shop. Local carver wood carver Rodger has created some of the most beautiful works that adorn the different buildings. We have stopped here many times over the years and have watched to place grow from a gift shop and RV part to the present collection of 5 star cabins, eatery, attractive RV park and full service shop. For the budget minded, this may not be the cheapest place to stay, but you do get what you pay for here.

Room Tip: five star cabins are best
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family

Been to Nugget City? Share your experiences!