“Outstanding and Peaceful” 5 of 5 stars

Cabins West
Beaverton, Oregon, USA
“Outstanding and Peaceful”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 5, 2014

My wife and I, and her parents stayed here for 3 nights at the start of May. Initially we were to stay in one of the 2 bedroom upstairs units. But my mother-in-law broke her foot the week before so at the last minute, we asked if we could stay in the downstairs unit instead. Not only were they accommodating in letting have a downstairs unit, we found the 1 bedroom unit downstairs to be plenty large enough for the 4 of us. It is easy to find the cabins and the quiet there is very nice. We've put Cabins West on our "do again" list.

Room Tip: Upstairs unit in front have a slightly better view of the water, but the downstairs units have a lar...
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 stars

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
Nanaimo, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 25, 2014

A beautiful place to stay. We came with friends and rented the lower and upper cabins. Everything was immaculate, kitchen well appointed and the kids (Aged 3 and 5) enjoyed playing in the loft on the stormy afternoons. Can't wait to go back.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
Victoria, B.C.
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 30, 2013

My husband and I stayed in cabin 2 for eight nights over Christmas. We had a great time...the cabin was very comfortable, very well appointed, had everything we needed to prepare our own meals, and was cosy enough to sit in and read on stormy days. We would definitely recommend at stay at Cabins West.

Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
Richmond Hill, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 23, 2013

My husband and I stayed in Cabin 3 for four nights in early October. The web pictures depict the unit accurately. It's large, very clean and the kitchen is certainly better equipped than most places with a similar profile. There are some basics like salt & pepper, coffee, filters, plastic wrap, foil and paper towels, often absent from many places. There were even multiple roast pans so you could cook a chicken, a roast or probably a small turkey if you wanted to. I never find that knives and frying pans meet my standards so I always travel with one of each. Overall, there are enough dishes and cutlery to cook for a crowd. The dishwasher was a blessing after doing without for the first week on the road; unfortunately, there are no laundry facilities on site--when you're slogging around on wet trails, it's nice to wash your clothes in a convenient way.

I think one of the classiest things about this place is the attention to detail concerning decorative features--art work, pictures in the bathrooms, bedrooms, a cute little key hanger by the door, coloured glass bauble in the bathroom, art over the hot tub, things that make a rental unit actually feel like a home. Even my husband noticed the difference that such things made to our experience here.

My biggest complaint is usually lighting and I rate this place as borderline acceptable. My husband and I are big readers and--yes, I wear some makeup--so we found the lighting lacking in the bedroom and bathroom especially. It's not so much the lack of lights, it's the brightness and clarity of the bulbs being used. Also, I ran water for the hot tub but wasn't enamoured with the somewhat nasty yellow ring forming around the tub so we didn't use it. I think the system should be cleaned on a regular basis. That was a bit of a turn-off. Otherwise, we were happy with the cleanliness of the place.

The cabin is not "isolated" but we were there so little during daylight hours that it didn't matter. We could walk to parts of the Pacific Coast Trail quite readily. We found the location convenient to Ucluelet without being stuck in the middle of town. We'd stay here again without hesitation. In fact, we weren't ready to leave when our time was up.

Room Tip: We liked Cabin 3, upper front unit. If the weather had been a bit warmer and we were actually around...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
London
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 14, 2013

I stayed at Cabins West for three nights in mid Sept with my mum and it was a total pleasure! Rod (one of the owners) was a great host and always made time to have a chat with us when he was around, find out what we were up to and make helpful suggestions if needed. We felt very welcomed and the whole booking process was quick and easy too.

The cabins have been beautifully built, and there's a real cosy feel to them inside too, with lovely fixtures and fittings and a gorgeous tree trunk running through the middle of the main room (we were in Suite #1). There was plenty of space, it was spotlessly clean and the kitchen was well stocked with everything we needed.

Only downside (and it's certainly not a reason not to stay) were that the cabins weren't quite as isolated as we'd thought/hoped from their website, as you are facing several other cabins, but it is a really quiet location and surrounded by plenty of trees so you do feel secluded. Plus, we saw the neighbourhood deer and fawn on a regular basis and a variety of birdlife, including eagles. It was pure bliss just to sit on the veranda in the morning with our coffee!

Our stay was the perfect end to a 3 week trip exploring Canada. The Wild Pacific Trail is just a short walk away and that is just stunning, particularly the lighthouse loop. We also went kayaking for the first time in the harbour - fabulous! There's also a well equipped Co-op in the town centre which had everything we needed.

We'd definitely recommend Cabins West and Ucluelet to any friends and family visiting Vancouver Island and I can't wait to go back.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
Ottawa
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2013

My wife, 3-year old daughter spent 3 nights in Cabins West in July. We stayed on the lower floor which includes a bedroom and a pullout couch.

There are a lot of really nice features about this cabin: super clean, has a nice 'cabin' (unsurprisingly!) feel. Huge kitchen which makes cooking fun. A propane BBQ out front. About a 5 minute walk from two beaches (Terrence Beach - super nice) and another beach (little beach - nice but not as great as Terrence Beach), and a 5 minute drive to an amazing trail (Wild Pacific trail). The pullout couch was pretty comfortable. We saw bald eagles fly overhead numerous times and two deer seem to always be munching around the area.

There are a couple of things that weren't as amazing with this spot: its not beachfront (you're looking at other cabins); it would be nice if there was a patio at the back so we could enjoy the evening light (there are picnic tables), it would be nice if there were more windows in the living room of the cabin. I would probably give this place 4.5 stars if I could but 4 is too harsh and 5 is a fairer reflection of the overall experience.

Overall it was a great stay and I completely recommend.

Bonus: you get $10 per paying customer if you do whale watching with Jamie's whale watching company if you stay here.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank simjenk
Calgary Alberta Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2013

June 20-24th/2013. Beautiful cabin! We thoroughly enjoyed it and the fishing was fantastic! Great kitchen & dining area with lots of cupboards & everything needed for doing your own cooking. We enjoyed the fireplace and it was nice to have 2 full bathrooms.
We plan to be back again next year.

Room Tip: Great for 2 couples (one with a baby)
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
    • 3 of 5 stars
    • 5 of 5 stars
Also consider these accommodations in or near Ucluelet
Reef Point Cottages
Water's Edge Shoreside Suites
The Cabins at Terrace Beach
Surfs Inn Rainforest Cottages and Guesthouse
West Coast Motel on the Harbour

Been to Cabins West? Share your experiences!