“Not as good as it could be” 3 of 5 bubbles

and 1 more site!
Reef Point Cottages
Ranked #6 of 10 Hotels in Ucluelet
Calgary
“Not as good as it could be”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 22, 2012

It looks good initially and the price isn't bad, but don't expect quality. We were upgraded to a 'new' 2 bedroom suite, but it's not exactly what we had expected. The place was new, but it lacked quality. First of all, it was a 4-plex and we were in the upper suite, but the one below us had lots of junk (old mattress, fridges, rags, etc) propped outside that entrance - nice. Things were poorly built; drawers & doors don't close properly and a sliding door lock didn't work. The furniture is cold and sterile looking and there is no artwork on the walls. There was a nice deck in the back, but the patio table was rusty and dirty with cigarette ashes butted out on the chair arms and the soft hot tub was old and the water seemed dirty. The bed was unusual, making a really loud creaky, plastic sound every time you move on it and the sheets were see-through, they don't even use a proper mattress cover. Curtain rods fall down when you try to open them, TV remote battery was dead, various lightbulbs were burnt out. And worst of all, the housekeeping service, we were told we would have specifically from 11 - 2, never occurred at all, leaving us to remove our own garbage and replace our towels ourselves. We had a similar problem with this when we stayed here about 5 years ago, so weren't surprised by the lack of service. They seemed apologetic about it, but I'm not sure they really care that much about their guests. I don't plan to stay here again!

1 Thank poppy01calgary

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (52)
Ajax, Canada
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 13, 2012

We were led to believe that this place was located on the water. Well, if you call a stream running behind the cottage "water", I guess it is... From the moment of arrival, things started to go downhill and when we left, we couldn't get out of there quick enough. I needed WiFi capability while I was there, a point that I stressed a couple of times during the process of making our reservations. When we arrived around 6pm and checked in, I never thought to ask about the WiFi and assumed, incorrectly so, that as with every other hotel we stayed at along the way, the information would be in the room/cottage. WRONG. At 6:30pm, after looking high and low for this information, I picked up my cell phone (no phones in the cottages) and called the main number, only to reach a VM, advising that their hours of business were 7am to 7pm (now 6:35pm) and that I should leave a message or call another number. I chose to call the other number as I really needed a WiFi connection. The lady who answered, treated my call as an infringement on her personal life and told me that if she had to come back to the resort, it would take her over an hour (where did she live? Port Alberni?) She moaned and complained and basically told me that it was my fault that I didn't have the information as I "should have asked for it". In frustration, I decided to drop it and she promised that she would deliver the information to me at 8am the next morning. She couldn't even give me the PIN over the phone. The next morning, at 9am, still no information, I called again. 30 minutes later, a young girl arrived with a piece of paper, giving the information that I required. I fired up my laptop and lo and behold, there was no signal coming from this supposed WiFi, which I was later told, was located in the cottage next door to ours. i could however pick up 3 other establishments' WiFi signal. I called the front desk again, only to be told that I would have to wait until 11am as they couldn't just "knock on the door of the cabin" and check to see if the people had pulled the plug out on the modem. I informed them that the people next door had left over an hour before, to no avail. As I wasn't prepared to sit around and waste half the day, I had to give up on connecting to the outside world. When we returned from Tofino that evening (6:00pm), the office was once again shut down (7pm closing announced) and after calling the same complaining woman, was told that there was nothing that they could do and if I wanted to complain to someone, I should complain to Telus, as they had done everything Telus had told them to do. There was still no signal coming, even though the modem was less than 20' away in the next cabin. At this point, I gave up and took my laptop to a restaurant, where I was able to connect to the outside world and get my work done. The cottage itself was a disgrace. The floors obviously hadn't been washed in weeks. There was sand and grit all over the place, so we swept the floors and actually cleaned the tiled kitchen/bathroom area on the main floor. The tiles were broken and it was dangerous to walk around in your bare feet. When i checked out the next morning, I told the woman in the office how displeased I was with my stay and she basically shrugged her shoulders and told me that she couldn't care less. When I told her that I would be reporting it on TripAdvisor, she said that she couldn't care less as there were thousands of other people who would come and stay and wouldn't even see my review. That may be so, but I also run a travel blog and will be posting my report on Twitter and Facebook. There are many places to stay in Ucluelet and Tofino, don't make a mistake and book this place...

Room Tip: If you want a good room, with amenities (as advertised) book a different hotel.
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
5 Thank selmy121350
New Westminster, British Columbia, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 10, 2012

Due to the death of a pet we had to cancel our reservations at last minute and we were so very pleased when they offered to let us book later w/out losing our deposit. What a class act! The cabins are very comfortable and offer everything you need--all the cooking utensils and things you often forget, a ton of towels, very comfortable beds. And the staff are exemplary--friendly, helpful and more than eager to make sure your stay is an exceptional one. It is very good value for the money and we will back for another visit as soon as we are able.

Room Tip: Find out ahead of time how busy it is, figure out how much room you need and what level of closeness...
Victoria, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 7, 2012

Did a last minute trip to Long Beach to take advantage of the great weather and took a chance there would be vacancies mid week. This was our 3 or 4th time, and luckily a 2 bedroom/2 bathroom was available at a good off season rate. The very friendly staff checked us in promptly and the cabin was very clean, comfortable, with a well equipped kitchen, good view from the main floor balcony of the water and forest, and it was very quiet and private. This cabin had a loft master bedroom with an ensuite spa tub, and the ground floor bedroom had it's own balcony so a very comfortable option for 2 couples. This property is within a 15 minute drive to the Long Beach national park beaches, so a good option to the busier and often more pricey accommodations in the Tofino area. Since the property is tucked away in forest and rocky areas, Wifi access can be a bit spotty. Beds are very comfortable with nice linens and good quality soaps, toiletries are provided. Loved the moisturizer.

Room Tip: There is a wide selection on size of cabins and type of view in this complex, and their website will...
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 4, 2012

Cabins were clean and had everything anyone would need! Coffee pot, toaster, microwave, dishwasher and basically everything anyone would need for a weekend away from home! Staff was friendly and great! Gave us places to visit! There was a large grocery store in town so we had everything! Make sure you visit the aquarium and go to the lighthouse! Would go again!

• Stayed September 2012
Prairies, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 30, 2012

We stayed for 3 nights in a 2 bedroom Cottage F. The cottage was clean, and well maintained and equipped. We we very happy to cook in the kitchen (which includes a range hood to minimize smells), and the dishwasher with sanitize function means that your dishes are clean and sanitary.

There were a couple of hiccups, with towels not being switched (in spite of being placed in the tub as instructed), but the staff were very accommodating and corrected things right away. The BBQ was not clean when we arrived, but once we noted it, the BBQ was cleaned quickly and to our satisfaction.

The one comment is that 6 people in Cottage F is a bit of a stretch. We were four adults (two couples) and two children. Each of the adult couples had our own (beautiful) room -- one with queen bed and one with king bed. The kids had to share the small sofa bed. Although we were aware the kids were going to sleep on the sofa bed (and comfortable with that fact), it was a bit too small for the two of them to share comfortably (the little one ended up sharing our King bed). Something to keep in mind.

Linens were nice and clean.

It would be better to have a few more plates and glasses in the cabins. There were exactly six of everything, so we found we had to wash dishes after every meal. Since the dishwasher wasn't full, it seemed like a bit of a waste.

Nice, friendly, and accommodating staff. We would go back for another visit.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Vancouver, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 29, 2012

We have stayed at Reef Point Cottages before, and it seemed to be getting better every time. The location is excellent, the cottages are very clean and well-maintained with fully quipped kitchen with everything you need. We have stayed in 2 bedroom cottage type F, had a phenomenal view, could not have asked for better. Definitely recommend this place to anyone who visits Tofino/Ucluelet area, you will be happy you stayed here.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Also consider these accommodations in or near Ucluelet
BEST WESTERN Tin Wis Resort
Bayshore Waterfront Inn
Bayshore Waterfront Inn
#4 of 10 in Ucluelet
West Coast Motel on the Harbour

Been to Reef Point Cottages? Share your experiences!