“Fascinating place”

Ranked #11 of 27 things to do in Ucluelet
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Reviewed July 9, 2014

Unfortunately June is not the time to see bears at the Hatchery, they generally only congretate there when the salmon are running, however Throrton Creek and the adjacent waterfall are lovely, and an employee of the Hatchery gave us a very interesting tour of the facility and explained it's importance in maintaining the stock of wild salmon in the area.

2  Thank robndot1201

Reviewed March 30, 2014

The staff are really nice and can answer all your questions and
take the time to do so. Displays are really informative. If you
go with a b&b tour, be sure to leave a donation as a lot of the b&b's don't remember to pass on some $$.

1  Thank Lynda S
Reviewed October 28, 2013

Its a rough old road to get to the hatchery, but it is well worth it. Make sure you time your visit for low tide and just wait for the bears to arrive. Treat them with respect and they will reward you with a magnificent fishing lesson!

Reviewed October 22, 2013

I was definitely nervous but our cabin rental agent assured us it was worth the trip as long as we showed respect for the bears and kept our wits about us (i.e., keep an eye on the road and the walkways). I was ready to call it off as we drove towards the hatchery down the narrow, bumpy road in failing daylight. But I'm so glad I managed to get a grip and that we continued on. We timed our arrival for nearly low tide about 6:00 pm on October 5. At first there was nothing, then within half an hour we saw at least six bears. Some came lumbering out of the forest directly onto the road we had driven down. Others showed up water-side out of the forest. Some were a little close for my comfort so I moved nearer to our car "just in case." We were advised to keep the car doors unlocked. I was mesmerized by the slow, dainty tip-toeing from rock to rock exhibited by such large, cumbersome-looking animals. However, don't let their slow movements lull you into a false sense of security. I watched two bears go from a dead standstill to leap into action and catch their salmon quite a distance away. I was dumbfounded by the sudden speed and accuracy they demonstrated. This was truly a gratifying encounter with Mother Nature at her finest.

3  Thank luvveggies
Reviewed October 22, 2013

Arrived in time to watch mum black bear successful grab large salmon, and head to the woods with her two little cubs. Then watched two males unsuccessfully fishing for a while. walked along the walkway, views of another bear sitting quietly on the other side of the river.

Notably the walkway has bear poop on it showing that it is used by the black bears as well as humans, so take care if visiting when not many people are around, as you may get a surprise, other people in our hotel had done the previous day!

There's a donations box beside the walkway, and they welcome donations to keep the fish farm going. A great cause, so donate if you visit to keep this great wildlife viewing place going.

2  Thank Mary S