“A Surfer's Budget to camping in style!”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Ucluelet
Surf Junction Campground
Reviewed October 8, 2012

I truly adore everything about Surf Junction. This place is a Surfer/ campers paradise. Located in the perfect location, close to great surf, beautiful camp sites, with tons of room. There really isn't much that sells a place more then a nice big hot tub and sauna after an awesome surf session filled with rad like minded people. The staff is the best part, making you feel so welcome, with their smilling glowing faces. I would recommend this place to anyone, its more then just a place to relax and lay your head.. It's a real fun experience that completely highlights your entire westcoast trip! ENJOY!

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled solo
2  Thank kate E
Kaleighsjc, Owner at Surf Junction Campground, responded to this reviewResponded February 12, 2014

Hi Kate!

Words cannot express how much we appreciate and value your kind words! We really love it when our campers become part of the SJC family, and you, my friend, have definitely become part of the family. We look forward to many more summers of seeing your awesome smile!

Cheers!

Reviewed October 2, 2012

This campground was really cool, nice area. Great staff, and store that rented surfboards, bodyboards, wetsuits and offered lessons. About 5 minute drive away from Long Beach and 5 minutes into Ucluelet that has everything you'd need. Ucluelet has a lot of beach trails to walk. Has a hot tub and sauna as well as showers and flush toilets. Also while we were there they offered morning yoga on the beach. Would definitely stay here again.

Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Kat B

Hi!

Thank you for taking the time to write a review, we love hearing what everyone has to say! Glad you found Ucluelet as awesome as we do! It might not be as famous as Tofino, but it definitely has a lot going for it!

Thanks again!

Reviewed September 27, 2012

My wife, two year old daughter and I stayed here for a week at the end of September for a short vacation before the summer's end. Keeping warm as the nights cool off in September is challenging for visitors, so the hot tub and sauna (both very clean and well maintained) were perfect amenities.

Campsites are tucked into lush forest pockets, and there is potable/drinkable water access at each site. Staff are very friendly and helpful, though quiet and respectful, and the office/reception has many items you may have forgotten while packing for your trip.

If you are looking for a great site off the beaten path, Surf Junction is a sure bet regardless of whether or not you are seeking the swell!

Room Tip: A site close to the hot tub/sauna seems to be a wise decision....
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank Mike W

Hello!

Thank you for writing a review, we really appreciate it! 2012 was our first year owning and running the campground, so I'm so glad that you enjoyed your stay. It means the sweat and tears paid off :)! But we hope to see you in the future and if you have anymore ideas or advice, please send us an email, we'd love to hear it!

Cheers,

Reviewed September 21, 2012

stayed with friends and service and location was horrible. then we were asked to leave after the complaint and no refund and there was one other group on site at the otherside. I would say away from here!

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled with friends
2  Thank Shaune H

Hi,

I'm so sorry that you found your stay with us so disapointing. Our goal is never to upset our campers, however, our goal is to provide the best stay for the greater majority of people camping with us. This is why we have to be so firm with our quiet rounds. We have a lot of families that stay with us, a lot of people who want to surf really early, so we try very hard to protect the integrity of everyone's night sleep. With that being said, we usually do give out multiple warnings and try to be as clear as possible with our campers what is and isn't tolerable for us. We understand that people are on vacation and just want to relax and have fun, all we ask is that you do that while being respectful to other campers. Even if there are only a couple of other campers.

If you feel that we weren't fair at all or that we were difficult to deal with, please feel free to send us an email or give us a call and we would love to work something out.

Cheers,

Reviewed September 12, 2012

Have reserved a site here for an upcoming trip in Sept 2012 - and wow - some of these reviews are giving me cold feet! We stayed at this campground 4 years ago & had a really good experience. We have a truck & camper & stayed in a larger unserviced site. Bathrooms, showers & hot tub were decent - very clean considering how busy it was.

They were very up front about having to charge for showers/firewood - we didn't have an issue with that. We did have to pull out & move to Green Point for the weekend as our spot was booked by someone else, but we happily came back to SJ. Green Point, by the way, is a beautiful facility, but I have a liking for access to a hot shower after hiking around & getting damp and sandy all day!

Staff that we encountered were friendly enough though a bit jaded - definitely got a bit of that "we're just here to enjoy our off time" vibe, but that's pretty standard with young staff in Tofino/Ucluelet especially in the summer. Once college is back in session things thin out and people seem less stressed. When we were friendly and nice the response was positive, though we did overhear some encounters that made us pay attention - the staff shut down a group of people wanting to bring wine into the communal hot tub, and also got after a group that left stuff out in their site when they left for the day - the campground had a "bare site" policy (ie. NOTHING gets left out overnight or while sites are empty, not even towels or tablecloths) - because of the bears in the area.

We enjoyed our stay, and were looking forward to the next one. I'll update this review when we've had a chance to see how things are in 2012.

Room Tip: Look at the site map and inquire about layout of sites - they vary greatly from crowded side by side...
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family

Hi!

Thank you for writing a review! We are constantly growing and we really appreciate any advice our campers can give us.

I hope your stay in September was as good as your last visit and that you found the staff to be more welcoming and friendly.

We are very strict about no alcohol in the hotub area- if we see it, we have to do something about it. It's a huge liability issue for us. We know it's not the most fun policy, but our number one concern is always safety.

We are also pretty firm with our bear policy as well. This is because they do not re-locate problem bears, they just terminate them. So we do our best to protect campers and the bears. And anything that has a scent can be a bear attractant. We once saw a bear take down a tent for a bar of soap!

But thank you again for the review and we truly hope that your other stays have been just as enjoyable, if not better.

Reviewed August 6, 2012

I was checking for pricing information to recommend the surf service to a friend. We stayed at Surf Junction in July 2009 and had a great experience. The staff were friendly and helpful.

Surf Junction is located where the east west section of Pacific Rim Highway intersects with the north south section of the highway. This allows for a nice day trip to Uclulete, another nice day trip to Tofino and easy access to a quiet beach by car.

I had never surfed before and arranged a lesson at the main office. I was thoroughly impressed with the quality of the directions provided by the surf staff and the assistance provided to myself and other members of the lesson while in the ocean. I have since sought other surf experiences because the experience was so enjoyable.

I also developed a new appreciation for bears during out stay. I observed a mother bear and two cubs moving through a remote section of the campsite and went to tell the staff. The staff were concerned about the well being of the bears but I was taken back by the limited concern shown for campers. I was always taught to be very afraid of a bear cub because mother bears can be very protective. This bear was avoiding campers but did go past a remote sight. I spoke to the campers from that sight later and heard that their dogs had gone after the bear and the bear had protected itself and its cubs by taking three swipes at the attacking dogs. The dogs received three superficial scratches from the attack including a scratch on the nose and hind quarter. I realized that the bear had no interest in hurting the dogs as it was giving a warning in no uncertain terms to leave it alone. When the dogs backed off, the bear continued on its way to avoid further contact with humans. I now have a greater understanding that bears really do want to be left alone unless humans have neglected to safely store food. I had no concerns for the safety of my young family after hearing about this incident and slept soundly in a tent that night, although we were very careful to put all food in a vehicle.

Despite the poor reviews, I would not hesitate to stay at Surf Junction. I will still recommend the surfing service to my friend who has already made alternate arrangements to stay in Tofino. Google plus had much nicer reviews.

Room Tip: RV's seeking hookups will find some sites do not have much privacy or shade as most sites are pl...
  • Stayed: September 2011, traveled with family

Hi!

We're so glad to hear that you enjoyed your stay at our campground and that you would not only come back, but recommend us to a friend. That means the world!

As for the bears, we are very dedicated to being "Bear Aware" for not only the safety of our campers, but for the bears as well. Each year, a handful of bears are terminated because they get too comfortable with humans and their food. We see this too often out here on the coast. So thank you for sharing your experience and for carefully storing your food in your car at night!

If you have anymore ideas or advice for us, it's much appreciated! You can email us at surfjunctioncampground@gmail.com

-Kaleigh

Reviewed May 22, 2012

The campsites are nice but far from the beach, and the staff are terrible

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled with friends
3  Thank Johnismyname1

Hi John,

I'm sorry that your stay at our campground was anything but great and I'm also sorry that it's taken me this long to respond! In 2012, that was our first year owning and opperating Surf Junction. There was a lot of mistakes that we made, and have since corrected. It was a summer of learning, especially in May, that was our first time ever with our staff. These aren't excuses, but an acknowledgement of our disapointment to some of our campers. I completely understand your frustration with us and I hope that you are willing to come back, for free of course, and see that we have made huge steps in the right direction.

Again, we are sincerely sorry!

-Kaleigh

Also consider these accommodations in or near Ucluelet
Wya Point Resort
MacKenzie Beach Resort
MacKenzie Beach Resort
#18 of 20 in Tofino
Mountainaire Campground and RV Park

Been to Surf Junction Campground? Share your experiences!