“Best B&B Experience I've Ever Had”
Review of A Snug Harbour Inn

A Snug Harbour Inn
Ranked #1 of 30 Ucluelet B&B and Inns
Ann Arbor, Michigan
“Best B&B Experience I've Ever Had”
Reviewed May 8, 2007

This is not your typical B&B - and I mean that in a good way. If you want to stay in someone's spare bedroom and sleep on a frilly Victorian four-poster, this place is not for you. But if you want a first class experience in a warm, contemporary inn with awesome views and attentive but respectful innkeepers, Snug Harbour is where you want to be. My wife and I stayed there for 6 nights and loved every minute.

First, the inn was designed from the ground up to be a B&B. That means that the 4 guest rooms in the main house are intentionally separated from the living quarters. Innkeepers Drew and Sue only wander into the main inn when dealing with maintenance, breakfast, etc. The rest of the time, the common rooms are for the guests alone. It's a great arrangement...no one ever feels like they are invading the others "space." The inn has been impeccably maintained...no small feat given the weather it receives in winter.

Another result of this purpose-built house is that the rooms are clearly designed for guests. Since we were the only visitors for a couple days, my wife and I got to view all the guest rooms in the main house. We can recommend any of them equally - they all have great views, decks, fireplaces, and space. We stayed in the Atlantis room and really liked it, although it is the only room without a stand-alone shower (it has a soaking tub only). Personally, since we "shower more than soak," next time we'd take a room that included a shower instead. But we really liked the large sitting area in Atlantis.

By fluke we ended up staying an extra night, and ended up in one of the forest cabins (Ferris). These are separate from the main house and do not have ocean views, although you can see the forest out the windows. These are very nice and newly built, but clearly a step down from the main house rooms. We missed our ocean views and being able to stay indoors to get breakfast, etc. We think it's definately worth the price to stay in the main house.

The photos on the website do a good job showing the various rooms. One thing not necessarily noted in the photos or descriptions is that small flat screen TVs and DVD players have been added to all rooms. We found this useful to check the weather and watch a movie on a rainy evening in. They are subtle additions and don't ruin the ambiance.

As others have noted, Sue and Drew are friendly, knowledgable innkeepers. They engage you when they are around but also are smart enough to disappear in the evenings and leave the guests alone (unless they are needed). They gave us great recommendations on everything from restaurants to activities.

Breakfast was a smoothie and egg dish and toast and bagels were always available. We never started the day hungry. Also - Sue bakes a new treat every day (like a cake) and leaves it out all day...very tempting at all hours!

One nice touch is that there is a kitchenette available for guests in the common room. Each room even has a shelf marked in the refrigerator. This was handy for our leftovers, to chill wine, that sort of thing. A very useful touch!

Finally, the views were awesome. We thought the view from Atlantis was better than anywhere else we went on the whole island! Not too shabby from the hot tub on the main deck, either.

I wish I could find any negative at all, but really I can't - and I'm pretty tough on B&Bs! Maybe some extra hooks in the rooms for wet coats? Nah, too picky. Really, it was a genuinely wonderful experience. We recommend it without hesitation and look forward to a return visit.

• Liked — The views, quality of rooms, breakfast, location, soaking and hot tubs. Did I mention the view?
  • Disliked — Really, nothing. I mean that.
  • Stayed May 2007, traveled as a couple
3 Thank dabiz

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (215)
Alberta
Reviewed October 10, 2006

My husband and I had a wonderful opportunity to stay at the Snug Harbour Inn for our honeymoon in early October. I couldn't have imagined it would be so beautiful. We were lucky enough to stay in the Atlantis room and the view from our room was well beyond our expectations. I can't even tell you how many hours we spent in our bed looking out at the beautiful scenery. The view from our room is still my favourite view, even after all of the time we spent in the Ucluelet/Tofino area. What an amazing sight to wake up to every morning! And the hospitality was top notch. From the moment we walked in the door to the time we left we were treated with unbelievable warmth and enthusiasm. And don't even get me started on the breakfasts! Wow, Sue and Drew made the most amazing breakfasts and there was fresh baking waiting for us every morning in the kitchen. I would recommend this place to anyone, especially couples. You can't get more romantic. Between the view, the fireplace, the unbelievably comfy king size bed and the jacuzzi tub, you just can't go wrong. Thankfully we were blessed with beautiful weather, but even if it had rained the entire time we would have been happy to stay in our room all day or join the other guests playing cards or enjoying the beautiful view from the Great Room. I just can't recommend this place enough and wish everyone could experience the awesome view and awesome hospitality of A Snug Harbour Inn.

• Liked — Everything
  • Disliked — Nothing to complain about
  • Tips/Secrets — Stay in the Atlantis Room
  • Stayed October 2006, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
4 Thank Tiemen
Warroad, MN USA
Reviewed September 15, 2006

After reading some of the other reviews, I can't help but smile. They really do sum up A Snug Harbour Inn. It's a beautiful setting in a fantastic part of the world. We went for the winter storm watching and, darn the luck, had gorgeous blue skies and sunshine almost the entire week! It was frosty, but perfect for hiking the trails on the coastline and exploring the beaches-something we landlocked Minnesotans couldn't get enough of. I wish we had found the tidal pools sooner-I could have goofed around looking at all the sea life to be found in tidal pools for days and days.

The food we ate was very, very good. The breakfasts at the Inn were delicious and it was fun to meet the other guests and compare where everyone came from. We, too, ate fish n' chips from the van and they were better than we had in Dublin, Ireland. But, the best food was from a little restaurant in Ucluelet called The Matterson House. Do not miss if you go to Ucluelet. Absolutely wonderful dinners.

At any rate, go to Ucluelet (yes, it is better than Tofino!) and stay at the Snug Harbour Inn. You won't regret it.

• Liked — The location & the hosts
  • Disliked — Well, the mattress...!
  • Tips/Secrets — Don't miss the tidal pools-they're fascinating!
  • Stayed January 2005, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
4 Thank Cedarbend
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed May 24, 2006

I'm 33, male and took my first vacation outside the U.S. to visit British Columbia. My stay at Snug Harbour Inn was without question the pinnacle of my trip. Sue made all of this possible. She's energetic and takes great care to make suggestions, reservations and open her home up to her guests. She was always available if I had a question and lets the guests enjoy their time alone if they do not. The highlight of my trip was a kayak tour to the Broken Group Islands I doubt I would have gone on had Sue not recommended it to me over the phone.

You can visit the Snug Harbour Inn website and get a very good idea of what the inn and each of its rooms offers. I will say that my expectations there were actually surpassed. The scenery is breathtaking. Being able to spend an hour sitting on your deck reading, or down below at the tide pools, is a great soul rejuvenator. Being able to have breakfast or a chat with other guests from places like New Zealand, England or Germany in the kitchen is an experience I could never have at a hotel or motel. Breakfasts were outstanding, as were the pastries that were available in the kitchen late in the evening.

I consider myself objective and would issue a word of warning to other travelers if I could, but cannot think of one negative thing to say about this inn. Staying free of charge because I am such a witty person might have been nice, but for staying in a beautiful inn on a cliff above the Pacific Ocean, you get what you pay for and more. Highly recommended.

• Stayed May 2006
4 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Valley Village, CA
Reviewed December 28, 2005

We had the great pleasure of staying at the A Snug Harbour Inn in mid October as a portion of our week long stay on beautiful Vancouver Island. You would be hard pressed to find a more relaxing, serene location as the Inn. It is perched on the edge of a cliff overlooking the Pacific with a magnificent view of several of the Broken Islands. There is a staircase leading down to the sea where you can do some exploring of the tidepools. The area of Uclulet is stunning in it's beauty! We went out every day and explored the many different rainforest trails, each one offering it's own distinct characteristics. The owners of the Inn, Sue & Drew provided us with friendly hospitality and a wonderful breakfast each morning. We stayed in the Lighthouse room and it is at the top of the house and offers the warmth of a fireplace and it's own deck and spectacular view. The home is very warm and comfortable with a fireplace in a conversation pit in the living room. There is also a spa on the deck outside. A very, very relaxing environment. We are already planning a return trip ASAP. Thank you Sue & Drew for providing us with an experience which we will always carry with us. We dream of one day being able to escape the city and become surrounded by natures beauty as you have.

• Stayed October 2005
3 Thank Hydrobluepool
tallahassee,fl
Reviewed November 19, 2005

we came to vancouver island without a plan after our cancun trip was washed out. we found the snug harbor inn from a brochure which is not really the way I usually do things. I left a message on their answering machine then we drove to the inn within an hour. we were greeted at the door by Drew. He knew absolutely everything there was to know about the area. he pulled out maps for us and his wife sue is also well versed on Vancouver Is and the area. This is one of the reasons you stay at a B&B, for that personal touch.

Now for the B&B itself. They stay full most of the time and it is easy to see why. Drew showed us our room & my immediate response "I'll take it!" Pure luxury in the middle of nature. yes it is true you drive through a neighborhood to get there but once you step foot in the inn you are so close to nature and the most astounding view. We had great breakfasts with homemade jams and a fresh cake every day. There is no TV but we did not even notice until the next day. Evenings were spent on "our" deck listening to the waves crash.

We frequently stay at B&B's in our world travels. My husband has painted one or two of our favorites. The Snug Harbor Inn painting will go on the wall next to my china cabinet

• Stayed November 2005
3 Thank szamp
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed June 20, 2005

Because of the positive reviews we read here of this B&B we booked it for 3 nights. It was disappointing in a number of ways. The decor was nice. The setting for the hot tub and deck was very attractive. The hot tub itself basically didn't work. No jets even when you turn them on (which the quite strict owner said not to). Another guest complained to us about that when they saw us getting out. The breakfasts were just passable. I've had better at at least 95% of the B&B's we've stayed at. The owner was brusk and distant. Most of the time she wasn't even around. The hired helpers were somewhat friendlier but not knowledgable about the area.

• Stayed May 2005
6 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Also consider these accommodations in or near Ucluelet
Wickaninnish Inn and The Pointe Restaurant
Best Western Tin Wis Resort
Reef Point Cottages
Reef Point Cottages
#7 of 11 in Ucluelet
Black Rock Oceanfront Resort
Water's Edge Shoreside Suites
The Cabins at Terrace Beach

Been to A Snug Harbour Inn? Share your experiences!