“A little slice of heaven”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of A Snug Harbour Inn

A Snug Harbour Inn
Ranked #1 of 30 Ucluelet B&B and Inns
Lexington, OK
“A little slice of heaven”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 17, 2010

We really enjoyed our stay at A Snug Harbour Inn. It was everything we hoped for. Relaxing, clean, secluded but centrally located, incredible views, delicious food, wonderful company, delightful hosts, and it felt like our home. We were welcomed and made to feel completely at home. Bonus for us was the deck overlooking the inlet and the tidepools to explore every morning at low tide. Highly recommend this place.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (210)
München
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 19, 2010

We’re from Germany and for our honeymoon we travelled through West Canada. During our stay in Vancouver Island we spent four nights in Ucluelet in Sue's and Drew's "A snug harbour inn" following a recommendation of friends who were there before. If you ever plan to visit Vancouver Island (and this place is definitely worth visiting!), don't miss this lovely B&B, for sure you won't regret it!

This B&B is located at one of the most beautiful spots on this planet, and the house just fits right into this place. We stayed in the Ferris Room, which is in a separate building, about 10 footsteps from the house. Breakfast was served in the Great Room in the house. There is always a smoothie, a main course (like scrambled eggs with smoked salmon or a special breakfast wrap) and a freshly baked cake (we loved the sticky cinnamon rolls). All of which just taste delicious!

When you come back from a trip in the afternoon, you will find coffee and a second cake ready. Among other things this makes it a very welcoming and cozy place where you immediately feel at home.

We were not sure whether we wanted to do a whale watching tour, so we asked Sue, and she gave us the tip to take a tour with Lance from Aquamarine Adventures. This was perfect advice, as this tour was one of the most fun and interesting experiences we ever had. If you have a chance to do it: Do it!

Sue and Drew are very nice and caring innkeepers who made our stay a time we will never forget. We definitely plan to visit this place again!

• Stayed May 2010, traveled as a couple
West Midlands
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 6, 2010

Stayed 4 nights in May enjoying every minute in this friendly luxury inn. Stayed in Lighthouse room with spectacular views and balcony a suntrap in the afternoon. Hot tube a welcome relaxation after day of hiking especially with a beer overlooking the bay with eagles soaring above. Hosts Sue and Drew very knowledgeable about local area and willing to cater for every need and question. Breakfasts were to die for and different every day. Use of kitchen facilities throughout the day an added bonus along with delicious homemade cakes. We would recommend this getaway gem to everyone.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled as a couple
Vancouver
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 19, 2010

I have to disagree with the person that posted that they had a horrible time at the Snug Harbour Inn.
Our great experience with this beautiful bed and breakfast started even before we arrived. Sue, one of the owners, was so great in making sure that our trip out to the inn was an experience in and of itself.
She gave us great directions letting us know about certain places on the drive out there that were of interest. She had them down to the 10th of a kilometre just so we wouldn't miss anything. It was great fun driving up the coast waiting for the next attraction on Sue's list to come up.
Once we arrived we were greated by Sue and her husband very warmly. They welcomed us, took us to our room - the Sawadee Room, and let us know that whatever we needed to come to them.
The inn is very quaint and cozy, with each room in the main house having their own private balcony looking out into the inlet. Our room had a double sided fireplace (one side in the bathroom), a jacuzzi tub, the most comfortable mattress that me and my partner ever slept on, great comfortable linens, and a nice breakfast table in front of the big window overlooking the inlet (among other things).
As for food - Sue bakes a new loaf every day, so when going to get your freshly brewed coffee or tea or coffee in the morning while waiting for the great breakfast, you can have some. We really enjoyed the chocolate banana...there was even some left in the evening when we returned, and we had some more.
Me and my partner got engaged while we stayed there...down at the private beach/dock down some stairs from the main house. After getting engaged Sue gave us the bottle of champagne that she was holding onto for us secretly. We were going to go for a hot tub on the main deck overlooking the great views, but we got on the phone to friends instead. This is our regret - but we will utilize the hot tub next time we go.
This place was great. They were the friendliest owners of a bed and breakfast that I have ever met. We felt welcome the whole time. I highly recomend it. Sue is amazing! You won't be disappointed.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled as a couple
Alberta
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 27, 2010

This place needs a lot of work. Our room was outdated, not functional, and very tired. The bathroom is, well, missing. The vanity and the tiny single sink, that would not drain, are located at the entrance to the room. A separate room houses an ultra low toilet and a stall shower with a tiny one function shower head. The tub is like a small swimming pool and not a friend of water conservation. The double sided fireplace offers nothing but a birds eye view of the 'throne' from the bed. Carpets were stained and dirty. Towels had thread bare edges. Only one window in each room opened and it faced the communal hot tub. No windows opened on the ocean side to catch the sound of waves at night. The closet was about 18 inches wide. The breakfast table is right at the front door. Breakfast portions were appetizer size and no choice was offered. There is no fresh fruit, or fresh brewed coffee. I am a petite 105lb senior who left the table hungry. On our last day we did request bacon and eggs. The request was met with rude resistance and the reference was made that only inferior B&B's offer bacon and eggs. Her place was 'special'. We did get our requested breakfast. My advice to the owner- learn to love life in Ucluelet. It takes more than location, high room rates and smoked salmon to make a great B&B.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank emjayalberta
bcsueb, owner at A Snug Harbour Inn, responded to this review, April 14, 2010
To all trip advisor readers.

In the 9 years of operating the inn my husband and I have hosted thousands of guests including hundreds of repeat guests. We realize that everyone has different expectations. We also acknowledge the impact that trip advisor reviews have on potential guests so I would like to set the record straight for this particular review which is filled with several false statements.

The Sawadee room that this guest stayed in is the most often requested room in the inn and the large jetted tub and 2-sided gas fireplace is the key reason.

I would like to first address the comments made in this review that are simply not true. My husband and I are constantly cleaning and maintaining this inn as well as upgrading our rooms. If we find a problem then it is addressed immediately. This guest never mentioned there was a problem with her sink at any time during her stay. The sink in this room is separate from the bathroom but the bathroom is not missing. The toilet in the bathroom is a standard size toilet and is not ultra low as described.

This room has a very large tub and if a guest wants to conserve water they can use the shower or just not fill the tub to the top. We are very aware of water conservation and have sign in all guest rooms asking guests to reuse the towels and help save on water consumption. This guest , however, asked for 3 extra towels every day and every day asked us to wash all 7 bath towels, 2 bath mats, 2 hand towels and 2 face cloths.

The carpets are not dirty but there are a few stains. We installed new carpet in this room a year ago and within the first month a guest spilled nail polish remover in several places. Again, this was never mentioned by the guest or I would have explained it.

The window opens directly to the ocean but this guest was here during a time when there were no waves or wind to be heard by anyone. The closet is 36 inches, not 18 inches.

Our coffee is not only fresh brewed it is made from dark roasted Sumatran coffee beans purchased from a roastery on Vancouver Island and we grind it fresh every day.

Every guest is asked if they have any allergies or diet restrictions and this guest told me she did not eat gluten. When I offered to bake her some gluten free cakes she said she didn't eat sweets but would like fresh fruit salad. I explained that we served a smoothie made from fresh fruits and juice ever morning. Ucluelet is a town of 1,500 people with one grocery store and our supply of fresh fruits, especially in March, is very limited. I explained that our main course for breakfast was egg-based but I served it with bread or bagels that contained gluten. Since I am unable to buy gluten-free bread in our town she offered to bring her own special bread. She even bought a new toaster because she thought our toaster was contaminated with gluten.

Rather than go into detail about how I tried to adapt to this guest's diet restriction all I will say is that she refused all breakfasts except for insisting on only scrambled eggs with her own toast that she prepared on her own toaster. There was always a supply of my homemade preserves, peanut butter and honey. In the evening before her fourth and final breakfast she demanded bacon and eggs. I tried to explain why I have never served this and was also quite surprised because up to that point she had refused any pork products. I did prepare my original breakfast for the other guests and gave her bacon and eggs.

I sincerely hope potential guests will read the many other reviews for a complete understanding of our inn and the 5 star service we are known for.

Sue Brown, Owner
A Snug Harbour Inn
Edmonton, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 16, 2010

My wife and I just returned from spending 3 nights at "A Snug Harbour Inn" over the Valentines Day weekend. I was attracted to the property first by an ad in a BC Tourism insert in our local paper (in Edmonton, Alberta) last fall, and then by the excellent website that provides all the details. Given our experience, I believe the web site is a very accurate description of what to expect.

My initial inquiries were by e-mail, and replies were surprisingly prompt - sometimes within a few minutes to an hour, always within a day. Actual booking was by phone, not by Internet. This was handled well and was certainly not an issue.

The Inn was purpose-built as a bed-and-breakfast style building in 1997. It is a beautiful wood structure with a large common area that includes a "great room" for socializing, a sunken fireplace "pit" for relaxing around the fire, and a spacious breakfast table and common kitchen area that just naturally encourages conversation among guests. The great room opens onto a deck that includes a hot-tub. From the deck, there is a long stairway down to the gravel beach below. It is a superb location on the Pacific coast of Vancouver Island.

Each of the four rooms in the building are individually designed and provide a different experience, but all with an ocean view. (There are also two suites in a separate building, similarly appointed, but with "forest views" instead of ocean views.) Our room was the "Lighthouse" room - appropriately the room with the highest viewpoint. It had a distinct marine theme including two "portal" style windows that you might see on an old ship. There are actually three levels in the room: walk in the door to the lowest level with the bathroom (including a "jetted tub"), then up a short flight of stairs to a small sitting area and access to the balcony from which there is a beautiful view of the bay and the Pacific Ocean beyond, and then up another flight of stairs to the main part of the room, including the bed. The queen size bed was very comfortable. There was a breakfast table beside the window that also looks out over the beach, bay and ocean. The window was delightful to leave open overnight and go to sleep and wake up listening to the wind, waves and other ocean sounds.

We found the breakfasts to be generous and delicious. They are prepared by the hostess/owner. Each breakfast was different the three days we were there.

Because it was Valentines weekend, I ordered a number of the "special touches" advertised on the web site. All of them are prepared personally by the owners and I was consulted to make sure I was getting what I wanted. They understood the "surprise" factor I was looking for and each item was placed in the room as I requested over the weekend. I was very impressed with this personalized level of service. And - by the way - the flowers were beautiful, the single rose was perfect, the sparkling juice (we do not drink wine) was iced and perfect, and the chocolate-covered strawberries were as romantic as they would be expected to be.

I really have no complaints about our visit at all. We found that we did not really have enough drawer space to unpack our bags into for the weekend - but then we also packed way too much for a short excursion like this! The only road access to Ucluelet is a 2-hour drive across a mountain highway - lots of hills and curves. If you are subject to motion sickness at all, take your Gravol!

Beyond the hotel, the outdoor environment of Ucluelet, Long Beach, Tofino, and the Pacific Rim National Park Reserve provide endless opportunities for hiking, walking, and (for us this weekend) storm watching. There are also many opportunities from local businesses for whale watching, surfing, kayaking, wildlife tours, and airplane tours. We were very impressed with the number and variety of restaurants available in the relatively small town of Ucluelet.

We will be recommending this place to our friends for a long time to come - and hope to return again ourselves.

• Stayed February 2010, traveled as a couple
2 Thank SGT777
Reading, UK
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 16, 2010

My wife and I stayed at the Snug Harbour Inn for five days during a two-week trip around BC and Seattle. This B&B was probably the highlight of our trip from the UK; partly for the stunning setting on the Pacific coast, but also the warm, friendly and thoughtful owners, Sue and Drew who immediately made us feel at home.

The B&B itself was custom designed as a guest house and so is well equipped with a large shared space to enjoy the breathtaking view and a large wood fire. The hot-tub was particularly pleasant after a day of surfing, walking or kayaking.

Sue's breakfasts were always filling and tasty, whilst the ever-ready fresh cakes were a waist-expanding delight. Knowing we were in the middle of vacation, Sue kindly offered to wash and dry some of our laundry - a really thoughtful touch.

We stayed in the Valhalla room and would recommend it for anyone that enjoys listening to the crash of waves as they drift to sleep.

Would definitely stay here again.

Stayed February 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank withnails
Also consider these accommodations in or near Ucluelet
Wickaninnish Inn and The Pointe Restaurant
BEST WESTERN Tin Wis Resort
Reef Point Cottages
Reef Point Cottages
#7 of 11 in Ucluelet
Black Rock Oceanfront Resort
Water's Edge Shoreside Suites
The Cabins at Terrace Beach

Been to A Snug Harbour Inn? Share your experiences!