Surfs Inn Rainforest Cottages and Guesthouse
West Coast Motel on the Harbour(Ucluelet)(Great Value!)
$69
$67
$160
$108
  • Free Internet
Bayshore Waterfront Inn(Ucluelet)(Great Value!)
$148
$179
Official Site
No availability for your dates from our partners
All reviewskiwi cottagesurf shopthe kitchencoffee machineclean roomsstayed two nightslong weekendhiking trailsthe wild pacific traila great place to stayvancouver islandcedarloftbbqwoodsaccommodationreplica
Reviewed July 16, 2011

Stayed in the main house Hostel (not the guest cottages out back). Rates are very fair, Check-in was super simple & friendly. Main floor has kitchen, living etc, and 2 Hostel rooms: one Bunk room and 1 Private. Upstairs has more sleeping rooms as well as a 2nd Bathroom.
This property gives a discounted Surf pkg rate at Relic- ask about it!

NEEDS IMPROVEMENT:
- When I say sparse I mean it: the Bunk room we were in had 2 bunk beds, an old plywood dresser, and that's it. I don't imply that there needs to be any expensive upgrades- seriously, just a few rows of hooks to hang drying towels/swimsuits, and maybe a mirror with a shelf. This would greatly cut down on the bathroom requirements for the potential 6 guests : 1 Bath ratio on the first floor (putting in contacts, applying sunscreen/makeup, etc).

- BBQ's are in pretty rough shape and are positioned outside completely in the dark; there's a floodlight just around the corner so there doesn't seem to be a good reason for having to cook by flashlight??

- if the Inn says quiet time is 11 PM, I'd hope they'd maintain the rule. It's smoother for everyone if the Inn owners enforce the rules, rather than leaving it to guests. My experience of lying in bed, with a very loud chat in the main living room over Skype until midnite was irritating, to say the least. I was unfortunately privy to both sides of the whole His & Hers conversation to Australia as she had her computer speakers turned up so loud. Granted, the Inn can't be blamed for rude travelers but it would have been nice for them to have been on hand to tell her to shut it down. I had gone to bed an hour earlier & tried instead to imagine the sound of soothing waves (no dice).
- on that note: As in most shared accommodations, you may want to bring earplugs. When I saw the quaint older home now turned Hostel, I had imagined it quite cozy- but the reality is there are large gaps under all of the room doors and loud wooden floors throughout. So if people are in the kitchen at 6:30 am having a chat (as they were on my stay), prepare to hear the conversation in your first floor room.

GOOD STUFF:
- Clean rooms & washroom
- BBQ available
- Comfy (foam) beds & bedding
- Recycling encouraged & containers provided
- A smaller hostel with limited amount of guests so you won't end up crammed in a room with dozens of others (very nice!)

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled with friends
1  Thank o_mountainaire
Reviewed July 12, 2011

The Surfs Inn Guesthouse has two wee cottages down the back of the property (down the long driveway) which are stand-alone and have all their own amenities.

I stayed here with two friends in late June 2011 and we LOVED the Elephant Cottage - had two of the best nights' sleep in a long time in this extremely comfortable cottage, which is situated right in the forest - so serene.

Ucluelet is lovely - I saw one reviewer described it as Tofino's ugly sister or something similar but I don't agree at all. We thought Tofino was gorgeous but actually very industry oriented; the views of the gorgeous inlets are mainly obstructed by all the kayak/boat tour outfitters and I felt (my opinion!) that the village itself had lost some of its charm. Ucluelet, on the other hand, was lovely and the location of the Surfs Inn was great, which gives you the opportunity to see both villages.

The Elephant Cottage comes with a fully equipped kitchen (oven/stove, microwave, full-size fridge, pots, pans, cutlery, plates, glasses, etc etc - literally all you need!) as well as a BBQ and chiminea (remember your ingredients for s'mores!). We went grocery shopping in Nanaimo as we heard that food prices in Tofino/Ucluelet were more expensive and it turns out there is no supermarket in Ucluelet so we were glad we'd shopped. We cooked dinner and made packed lunches in the kitchen so it really has all the equipment/utensils that you'd need.

There are two bedrooms (each with its own ensuite), one bedroom with a king bed and a single bunk over the top of it, and a door that opens up to the back of the cottage and directly into the forest - simply gorgeous. The second room has double bunk beds so technically the place could sleep 6-7 people but I would say is more suitable for 4 or 5 since the sitting room area is very small. The sitting room has a gas fire which is fantastic, very rustic and beautiful. The place is genuinely lovely.

The cottage is perfectly clean and provides towels/linens, as well as free wifi and its own parking space.

The staff were fabulous with their suggestions for hikes, and providing us with everything we'd need for our stay (firewood for the chiminea, maps, etc). We really, really enjoyed our stay at the Elephant Cottage - I would definitely go back if I make it over to Ucluelet again. It really was fantastic.

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled with friends
Reviewed April 15, 2011

We were very pleased with the hostel in general. The common area has a fireplace and a well equipped kitchen. We got to talking with other travelers, aswell.
The Surf's Inn has friendly staff, however, taking off your shoes any time you enter the hostel turns out to be quite annoying.
The rooms are nice but a little small and there unfortunately is hardly any place for one's personal belongings.
The bathrooms are clean and we never had to queue.
We would go there again our next time in Ukee!!

• Stayed: April 2011, traveled with family
Reviewed November 17, 2010

we intended to stay only one night in this hostel. But with the large kitchen and nice livingroom it felt like a home. We stayed for four days. The staff had great tips on where to see bears fish for salmon (awesome free trip!!) and what to do around town.
Good atmosphere, clean, nice rooms.
If you are there, go rent a bike at ukee bikes and explore the island. SUPER friendly staff (picked us up from tofino when i sprained my ankle and couldn´t ride back)
Very good prices on great bikes (we are dutch, we know our bikes)

Altogether, Ucluelet is more real then tofino and cheaper as well.
Another must do!!
The lady rose marine service to or from port alberni.
Beatiful trip and fwhalewatching on the way! Why pay for a whale watching trip..

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 25, 2010

There are two cottages around the back of the main guesthouse, in amongst some trees. One is split into two 'loft' suites ie a studio bedroom, bathroom and kitchen sink downstairs, and a double bed platform in a loft upstairs (up a ladder!). The modern log cabin-themed accommodation is clean, with a TV, free wifi and a big BBQ and seating outside. Note there isn't a separate hob inside if you want to cook. There are a few great places to grab an easy and tasty bite to eat and lots of good walking/kayaking spots nearby.

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled with friends