“Wonderful Experience”

Black Rock Oceanfront Resort
Ranked #4 of 11 Hotels in Ucluelet
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed April 20, 2014

This was our 2nd visit to Black Rock. We brought family visiting from England as we wanted to give them the West Coast experience. It was truly wonderful. We had a 2 bedroom suite situated in the lodge, which was beautifully laid out and really comfortable for the 4 of us. The glorious view of the ocean and crashing waves, made us reluctant to leave the balcony, especially in the early morning sunshine All staff were helpful and friendly in particular Julie on the front desk and Elyse in the Float Lounge. We enjoyed the Wild Pacific Trail, right on the doorstep and coming back to the huge soaker tub. Bliss! 2 days wasn't long enough...we will be back.

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled with friends
1  Thank Livelovelaugh247

Reviewed April 17, 2014

We were lucky enough to get in on a half off the room rate deal. Now that we have been there we would gladly pay full price. We were there for our 15th anniversary and had a wonderful time. We ate in the restaurant and the lounge and both were great. We will definitely be back for another stay.

Room Tip: Our room had a view of the water and it was amazing.
1  Thank DustinCollins
Reviewed April 17, 2014

We went to the Black Rock for our 50th anniversary and were blown away by the service. All the staff from check in to the staff cleaning the room and any other staff we encountered were happy and friendly. Such a pleasure. Our room overlooking the water, made it very hard to leave to go out and check out the community and the great Wild Pacific Trail. Our room serviced every day by two very nice young people that made it sparkle again and replenished anything we had used. When we arrived there was a lovely tray with fruit and chocolates on it and a Happy Anniversary note. We will definitely return to the Black Rock again .

1  Thank Papa_JCalgaryCanada
Reviewed April 11, 2014

Great architecture, great style and great service. From start to finish this was a great stay, and we would highly recommend this hotel. Every member of staff checked continually if there was anything they could do, professional check in, great new bar manager and knowledgable waiting staff who added significantly to the pleasure of lunch and dinner. Thoroughly enjoyed the new menu at dinner- recommend the great involtini, delicious lamb, wonderful mussels.
Lunch on terrace a real treat at this time of year - capped by our waitress rushing out to point out a passing otter, a couple of metres away from the tables. Shared memory for life.
The room was outstanding, a wonderful suite with views that are unforgettable. The hotel is perfectly positioned on the pacific trail - the only problem is we did not want to leave the balcony.
Thank you for two unforgettable days. This is a hidden gem.

Ucluelet was also a great place to stay. A real feel to the town, great breakfast stop at Barkleys, and the most amazing photo opps of eagles at the docks. An interesting contrast to Tofino, we are enjoying staying at both.

1  Thank NickW067067
Reviewed April 11, 2014

This well advertised resort did not meet our expectations.
The resort, outside, and the rooms are very nice although, major improvements are needed.
Our room had a king size bed with the mattress sitting on a wooden box, instead of a box spring base, which did not reduce the sleep quality. Only thing, the box had no toe kick and was way larger than the mattress, at the foot end, the box was protruding some 4-5 inches. Every time I stepped close to the bed, my toes hit that box, when I walked by that bed I did hit my lower legs a few times. When my wife got up on our last day, on her way from the bed to the bathroom, she stumbled over that protruding box, covered by bed linen, and fell flat on her face. Although she had her e-reader in her hands and was unable to brace her fall, fortunately, she did not injure herself as it seemed at that time. Once downstairs in the lobby we complained about that issue. We received an apology from the very friendly clerk and were told that other guests had complained about that same issue previously.
To reduce our dissatisfaction my wife received three postcards of the resort and I asked for breakfast on the house. The clerk told us she would do her best to accommodate my request.

"Fetch", the main dining room, was another "encounter" to say the least. A great location, great view and a great menu. The food mediocre to lousy. It reminds me of the saying: talk is cheap...... First night dinner, problems started; the appetizer, Dungeness Crab Roulade was very poor, indeed. Tasteless. I had it sent back, my wife ate it due to dietary limitations but asked for tangy sauces. The entre, seared, rare Tuna was good but with it came Korean rice cakes. Again, those were tasteless and glued to my palate like window putty. I'm sure, some rice would have been far better and appreciated by the majority of patrons.
Second night dinner, in the lounge, was somewhat better, I had Sushi and Ale, my wife chose a curried fish dinner with plenty of undercooked vegetables and a large portion was returned. That dish did not show up on the bill, though.
Breakfast on our last day, after my wife's fall, was less that mediocre. My wife ordered French Toast. Plenty of it came on the plate, perfect for a ditch digger, with 1 inch thick slices. The egg mix only very thinly soaked into the bread and, therefore, very dry and flavourless.
I ordered Bacon and Eggs with caramelized Onion Hash and Toast for $15,00. (No sticker price shock for me) The plate came with plenty of toast and ONLY two strips of bacon but a load of spuds !! Cubed potatoes, oven roasted and heated in a deep fryer. Result: dry, tasteless potatoes and oily. No trace of caramelized Onion Hash. Again, I had it sent back, I settled for Granola with Yogurt and fresh fruit.
What's "cooking" in such a resort with that kind of "grub" ?? We were later informed by the friendly waiter that the breakfast was indeed on the house.
It is truly disappointing to encounter such situations. When I check into a fine establishment, with a certain level of service, I DO NOT mind paying the price as charged. When I see that quality is missing I have to speak up, simple as that.
Even apologies and somewhat lame excuses will not change my outlook about that issue.
In short, think about that before making reservations, ask who is running of the kitchen and for what duration of time is that person in charge. It's hard to accept when one hears: Sorry, the new Chef is coming....

1  Thank tallTheo
Reviewed April 4, 2014

It's nice, but missing the mark on a few items to really be a 5 star resort.

The good:
- resort is beautiful, room was nice looking (until you look a little deeper)
- bed was comfortable
- we were on the top floor of the lodge which had great vaulted ceilings
- robes left in shower which was nice
- nice that they leave real milk and cream for the coffee and not just dry milk packets
- our room overlooked the bay and it's beautiful to sit on the patio and stare out at the waves
- nice that they left us a card for our anniversary... but ...

The bad:
- it would have been nice if they had spelled our name right on the card
- housekeeping staff will make the bed and tidy up, but leave dirty dishes on the counter.
- I went to take a bath on Sat afternoon and had lukewarm water. Stupid me figured I'd shower since I was wet anyway and had a lukewarm shower. I called Guest Services to complain - no answer. Called again later and spoke to someone and they apologized and said that "almost everybody in the resort was showering at the same time and the h/w tanks went dry and it would take 15 min to recharg" - 15 mins we didn't have since we had dinner reservations.
- the lock on the door to the patio was useless (both of them). I had to get my husband to use brute force to open the doors.
- the handle on the bathtub was broken and fell off
- we had issues getting the wifi to work all the time.

We also had dinner at the Float Lounge one night and it was decent. Not tons of choices but the food was all right, and not overly priced.

Overall we had a nice stay and the room was nice. We stayed using a coupon so did not pay full price. I can't honestly say I would come back to this resort and pay full price given the issues noted above. I would have rated it 4 stars but I felt that it needed 3 to help bring down it's overall rating which I don't feel is justified.

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled as a couple
3  Thank LuckyCharmsVancouver
BlackRock09, General Manager at Black Rock Oceanfront Resort, responded to this reviewResponded April 5, 2014

Dear Lucky Charms Vancouver,

Thank you for taking the time to complete our comment card and for your Trip Advisor post. We appreciate all comments as it does provide us with an opportunity to address our challenges with the hopes of improving experiences for all guests, it is my hope that guests share their feedback and comments for the same purpose. We appreciate both the praise we receive and the constructive feedback.

I will try to address your comments one at a time;

* WIFI - given our remote location we offer the best Telus WIFI available, unfortunately however we cannot control the overall volume of users on the system at any one time, this is not an issue of the services located on site but the service feeding the overall community. It is my understanding that every attempt is being made to address this issue for both residents and guests to the area.

* Handle in the Bathtub - I was a little confused by this comment as our pedestal bathtubs do not have handles in them or near them - if you are referring to the shower wand mounted outside the tub this is designed to be lifted from its stand to use in the tub and would not stay in place if it was used as a handle - I am sorry for any confusion this might have caused.

* Hot water - yes, unfortunately we had some hot water challenges - we normally run quite efficiently on three boilers (in the main building) one of boilers expired and the wait time for our new one was 6 weeks as they are built to order, I am pleased to report the new boiler arrived on Thursday April 3rd and was immediately installed - we thank all of our guests for their patience with this issue.

* Dishes - the daily housekeeping service that we offer to our guests in the main lodge is a daily towel, garbage and bed making service. The explanation on the services we provide is located in each suite, if any of our valued guests wish to have us take care of their fully equipped kitchens we would be happy to do so with a minimal additional charge. Please accept my apologies if this information was not adequately provided for you.

*Door Locks - the door locks are designed to turn lightly to either the right or left, as soon as a click is heard the door is now locked or unlocked. When the handle is in a horizontal position the door can be easily pushed open with minimal effort. Unfortunately use of "brute force" to open/close or lock the door only causes damage. If any of our guests have challenges with these storm doors we encourage them to contact our helpful guest services team and someone will be there to assist.

Our goal at Black Rock Oceanfront Resort is to provide comfortable, clean accommodation in a spectacular setting at a reasonable price. As the majority of reviews will share our team members here are dedicated to ensuring that our guests are served with a genuine and friendly demeanor, we all truly care. It isn't just our job, it is our passion. To me this is where real service begins... as many guests have noted before... the staff at Black Rock Oceanfront Resort are outstanding and make the difference every time... that is the reason to return.

Adele Larkin

Reviewed March 28, 2014

just back from black rock resort.3 days watching the whales from our room.we stayed last february,better weather this time,warmer,great beach walkes.2 bedroom suite.great way to get away and relax.you do not have to travel to find a great resaurant,or lounge either,right here.the unit also have a full kitchen so you can either stay in or go out.

Room Tip: any room with the water view are to die for.watch the waves crash into the rocks below
  • Stayed: March 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank geoff b
Also consider these accommodations in or near Ucluelet
Best Western Tin Wis Resort
Beach Club Resort - Bellstar Hotels & Resorts
Brentwood Bay Resort & Spa
Brentwood Bay Resort & Spa
#1 of 4 in Central Saanich

Been to Black Rock Oceanfront Resort? Share your experiences!