Black Rock Oceanfront Resort
Whale's Tail Guest Suites(Ucluelet)(Great Value!)
$77
$178
$174
West Coast Motel on the Harbour(Ucluelet)(Great Value!)
$62
$69
  • Free Internet
Bayshore Waterfront Inn(Ucluelet)(Great Value!)
$129
Wild Edge Lodge(Ucluelet)
1,644 results
All reviewsfetch restaurantrain showerfloat loungethe wild pacific trailmain buildingdrift spaone bedroom suitepacific spiritocean viewfloor to ceiling windowsthe kitchenheated floorssoaker tubon the rockslarge balconyamazing viewsvancouver island
FilterAll languages
Reviewed June 15, 2011

We stayed at the Black Rock Resort for a few days in the middle of a fly-drive holiday. The hotel is superb and I couldn't fault anything about our stay there. We had a one bedroomed suite wich was furnished to a very high standard with separate living area with a kitchen where simple meals could be prepared, with ample crockery etc and a frikdge and dishwasher as well as the normal coffee maker etc.
The bathroom fittings were of very good quality with a great walk in shower and free standing bath. It was all very clean lines and good decor with the added bonus of being able to sit in the bath and by opening a sliding window, sit and watch the surf crash in on the rocks below the hotel.
There were chairs and a small table on the balcony and we could sit sipping our wine with a view of the pacific stretching out in front of us - heaven!
The rest of the hotel is very modern and comfortable and the bar and restaurant overlook the ocean so it was nice to sit eating delicious food in lovely surroundings.
We very much enjoyed our stay at Black Rock and would recommend it to anyone wanting to get away from it all but stay in comfort.

Room Tip: Make sure you overlook the ocean
  • Stayed: June 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 14, 2011

The drive to Black Rock is worth the trip, after getting out of the Sidney/Victoria traffic. (I admit to being a switchback junky on the road, particulary with a slap shift gear box.)Once on the property and into our suite we were treated to great, no spectacular, views of the Pacific breaking against the shore. That's what nature gives in this wonderful location. However, this is a review of the Black Rock. Our out of the main building one bderoom suite was comfortable and had some nice amenities and some that left us wondering. On the pluse side were a very comfortable bed, great views, dining area with kitchenette, great views, a large walk in rain shower, seperate soaking tub in a large bathroom which had great views...through an opening to the bedroom, which had, great views.

Black Rock is a hit because of the location, no question. Parking is a serious problem. Our arrival preceeded a large event by two days. At that parking near the main entrance was at a premium. We walked past the unpaved staff parking area that was closer than most of the paved areas. After the event started parking was impossible. Lighting in the bath area was romantic, not for shaving, or otherwise getting ready for the day. At these prices, the little flaws get to be annoying and everything else was just average.

• Stayed: May 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank HelvetiaCH
Reviewed June 13, 2011

Our suite was lovely - kitchen was stocked with all the appliances we needed, bathroom was luxurious, bed was comfy, views were beautiful.

The restaurant was delicious, both for dinner and breakfast but a bit on the pricey side. We had a groupon for the place so we were able to eat there twice, instead of just once.

There is a grocery store not far away so you can cook the rest of your meals yourself anyway.

The hot tub was great, also with wonderful views, although it is outside so be prepared for that in colder weather. I gave it "very good" instead of "excellent" because I was not thrilled with the spa services. We were the last appointment of the day and my husband and I felt our massages were not thorough and were rushed (i.e. did not give us the full amount of time for the massage).

• Stayed: March 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 11, 2011

The challenge with reviews it that everyone has different expectations and different experiences at different times. We chose to visit Black Rock last year for a restful getaway but also to consider purchasing one of the suites (one of my colleagues purchased one and I had read a great review in the Vancouver Sun). I love this part of Vancouver Island. We stayed 3 nights.

I immediately fell in love with Black Rock and appreciated the simplistic and minimalistic design and architecture of the main building where we stayed. Very much in keeping with a Westcoast theme and the view from our room was gorgeous - ocean and forest.

Our room was super clean and I have to say I loved the bathroom! Our room was quiet even though the hotel was close to full and there was at least one wedding going on.

We didn't eat all our meals at the hotel as we spent alot of time out and about on the trails, at the beach and in Tofino. The hotel is situated so nicely in the Wild Pacific Trail. We enjoyed every breakfast there, however, and, the dinners (2) were interesting in delicious. I would have to say there are not many offerings on the menu for kids. We didn't have any of our children with us so I can't speak to that. There were children at the hotel though but from my perspective, it's not a hotel for kids.

My husband and I both enjoyed the service and snacks in the lounge. Music was good and the view, like the restaurant is amazing.

The wine cellar is an interesting place to go into as it's right at ocean level but not quite underground. The art work throughout the hotel was local and beautiful. I spent a morning in the spa and enjoyed every minute.

We had a special gift show up while we were in the hot tub around 4 pm - a pod of 5 Orca came into the tidal pool and decided to play around for about 15 minutes. Spectacular! You can't buy that kind of experience anywhere. Unfortunately, my camera was not in reach!

Overall, as people who travel quite a bit both my husband I love Black Rock and will definitely return this year. We think it offers a relaxing getaway and good value.
If you love nature, there's lots to do. I would like to return as well for storm season.

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank SoufulArtist
Reviewed June 9, 2011

If you're into black and white and a sterile atomosphere, this place is for you. The rooms are very nice but lack personality - not particularly warm. This is not to take away from the outstanding views, but, then again, all places along this strip of the west coast have outstanding views. This comes across as a very new but still barren place - perhaps in another 5 or 6 years, it will have filled out and there will be some colour to give it warmth.

The restaurant was fine, food okay but nothing out of the ordinary.

We stopped in at the large bar for a drink (also quite empty with just one other couple in it) and asked the server if he had any pretzels or nuts or anything at all to nibble on - nothing.

If you are used to staying at top notch places, this will disappoint. Great location, nice rooms, skimpy everything else. If you've come this far, treat yourself to something more special. - this just doesn't quite cut it.

• Stayed: May 2011, traveled as a couple