“Bliss and Beauty at Black Rock Resort!”

Black Rock Oceanfront Resort
Ranked #3 of 11 Hotels in Ucluelet
GreenLeadersBronze level
Burnaby, Canada
“Bliss and Beauty at Black Rock Resort!”
Reviewed June 8, 2011

Just back from a brief birthday getaway to Ucuelet and Tofino. Stayed at the Black Rock Oceanfront Resort. I was so impressed by the entire resort - Stayed in a sleek Studio suite - the room was modern and premium with high end finishes including a fully equipped kitchenette, flat screen, fireplace and a most comfortable bed. And the views! from my balcony I was wrapped in the rainforest looking out the ocean. It was so amazingly peaceful - I went to sleep each night listening to the waves lap against the rocks - heaven.The bathroom was a dream - you could even take a bath in the luxurious soaker tub and look out at the view. We even saw a deer on the beach one night! Breakfast on the patio at Fetch overlooking the ocean was delicious and special. Drinks in the Float lounge were cozy and intimate. The bartender whipped together something special for my birthday. I can't say enough about what a terrific stay I had. Next time I'll be checking out the Drift Spa.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (463)
Victoria, BC
Reviewed June 7, 2011

I wanted to give 5 stars for the view alone, but unfortunately, black rock resort has some pretty serious shortcomings to tackle. I'm going to write this review as if I'd been a full price paying customer. Regardless if your trip is on a groupon or not (our honeymoon was), you expect the quality of everything to live up to the location, the view and especially the prices.

Black Rock resort is a reasonably new entry in the Ucluelet resort game and is located right next to big beach.

Although the parking layout is unfortunate for some of the rooms, we lucked out and parked close to the lobby. Check in was a breeze other than not getting a 3G or Wifi signal in the lobby to pull up my receipt on my phone due to heavy use of rock walls.

Off we went to our room and discovered that our upgrade had us in one of the top rooms in the whole place, we were initially overjoyed with everything. We settled in, our room was more like a 4 room condo with an ENORMOUS deck looking out over the water, so far everything is great. One of us uses the washroom and we realise that the button on the toilet is sticking open, ok no big deal.

We carried on down to the lounge after getting unpacked, ordered 2 drinks that sounded just like what we'd want and a couple appys. Both drinks were subpar. My gingerbeer, dark rum, lime juice, lime and oj drink came off overly sweet and not very nice. My wife's mojito used a mint syrup instead of fresh mint and she really didnt like it either. "That's OK!" we thought, "that confit duck poutine with fresh cheese curd sounds fantastic" alas, it was not, the duck had no texture, was grey and cold. The cheese curds were not even close to fresh, not a hint of a squeak when you bit them, and about 10-20% of the fries were overcooked hard. The dish was also so salty that I personally couldn't eat it. My tempura veg roll was ok but unmemorable. When asked how everything was, I told the server/bartender our concerns and he replied "ya we've been having some issues with the poutine lately", honesty is great, but if you're having food problems, FIX THEM! To their credit they did reduce the bill. We decided that between two sub par drinks, one truly bad appy and one blah appy, to move on for the evening and just have some wine in our room.

The next morning we discovered that in addition to the stuck toilet problem, that the carpet had nails coming up vertically through it at the entrance to the bathroom and my wife stepped on one unknowingly (it was the smooth edge to keep the carpet in place) and put a nail into her foot! We had a shower in their luxurious spacious rain head shower which was fantastic, until the shower head starting having a fit and loudly and aggressively jumping back and forth between shower head and hand wand output, we pulled the lever back to rain head, but it kept flipping out every few minutes. The room also got so hot at night even with the heat off that we had to leave all the windows open and we got eaten alive by mosquitoes while we slept.

We went for breakfast at Fetch, the seemingly high class in-resort restaurant. We were seated quickly, service was fine, dishes sounded great, restaurant looked nice, that is, until you start looking around and notice some of the poor quality workmanship. The carpet tiles were laid out with no pattern matching, so the floor looks just sloppy, then we notice a wood ceiling panel drooping down 3 inches in one corner right over our heads, then more and more things started becoming evident. Breakfast arrives and looks good but the flavour profiles were all off for me and the toast was buttered in the centre only, leaving a very thick dry border. Compared to the price and to how the dishes were described, it was really really disappointing. We thought that maybe the head chef wasn't on that morning (trying to preserve hope that dinner could be excellent) but it turns out he was. Then and there we decided we would not be eating or drinking any further at the resort. That night we found a little place right in Ucluelet that absolutely blew Fetch out of the water.

I've heard that the construction at black rock went to the lowest bidder with a viciously short time frame to complete the project and it shows. A room that normally goes for $400/night should be near perfect. Having a malfunctioning toilet, nails spiking patrons in the foot through the floor and a shower that scares the poop out of you when it has a seizure (let alone sloppy tile work around the tub and other things), does not live up to your expectations for a high class luxury resort. They did fix all the things we mentioned to them while we were out for the day, kudos for that. The room was mostly nice and if you've never been to the west coast of the island before, you will find the view and scenery breathtaking.

To black rock management: your maintenance team needs to be much more proactive (walk the rooms when they're unoccupied and check EVERYTHING), Fetch needs a lot of work. Standards are everything and you do disservice to the location by not keeping yours higher. We enjoyed our stay but would not return at full price.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple
7 Thank Fallen0ne
Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed June 1, 2011

The setting is unique. Hotel is worth the trip. Wonderful service, beautiful artwork, great rooms and amenities. The Shower and soaker tub one has to experience. Views go on forever.The Restaurant is world class.

Room Tip: Ask for front facing rooms
  • Stayed May 2011, traveled on business
Victoria, BC Canada
Reviewed May 31, 2011

This resort really does have it all. The rooms are spacious and contemporary, and the outlook is outstanding. We were in a studio room and were very impressed with all it had to offer. The kitchnette had a small fridge, microwave, dishes, coffeemaker, toaster etc. The bedroom/livingroom area had a small couch and armchair, desk, firelplace and a lovely deck with a table and chairs. They had free wifi and a docking station for your ipod. The bathroom was spectacular with heated floors, a huge shower and beautiful deep soaker tub. You could open a window from the bathroom to the bedroom area and then were able to see your wonderful oceanfront views from there. The pool and hot tubs also had wonderful vantage points overlooking the ocean. Both my husband and I took advantage of their spa and loved our treatments. We had a connecting room with our friends who had a 1 bedroom suite. Their living room area also had a nice dining room table and chairs and their kitchen area also had burners and a small dishwasher. We had both dinner and breakfast in the restaurant, and thought the food presentation and quality was very good.

1 Thank snoopy647
Victoria, Canada
Reviewed May 29, 2011

We stayed at the Black Rock resort on May 27 & 28, 2011. Check in was easy and we were given an amazing room - 1 bdrm suite overlooking the ocean with many amenities: flat screen TV in bedroom and living room, heated tile floors, deep soaker tub, lovely kitchen and the best part was the floor to ceiling windows with a nice deck overlooking the ocean. We are used to a much harder bed so sleeping on a soft bed gave us sore backs but that was the only downfall of the room.
We had torrential rain driving there from Victoria but somehow we lucked out and woke up on Saturday morning to blue skies and lots of sun.
We spent the first night , Friday, at the Float lounge and had great service there, and yummy food and drinks. The lounge singer was also very entertaining.
On Saturday AM we had breakfast at the Fetch restaurant and although the food was fine, the service was not. It was rare to see our server and it took quite a while to get our food even though the restaurant was half empty. When the food finally arrived she asked if we wanted ketchup or jam, but she forgot to bring it and we were almost done our meals by the time another server walked by our table and we asked him for the condiments. Then when our server brought our bill, she put it on the farthest corner of the table so we had to actually stand up to reach over and get it - kind of strange.
We had a massage and facial at the spa on Saturday. The spa is nice and quite small. I had a facial while my husband had a massage, which he raved about. My facial was OK but I would have liked to know what products were being used which may have also made me more inclined to buy them, but the esthetician did not mention what she was using or make any recommendations for what products they sell that would work for my skin type. I almost always purchase spa products when I have a facial, but I didn't this time. She was very personable and friendly though. Overall not a bad experience. We spent the afternoon after the spa at the pool and hot tub area, and it was a lovely afternoon.
We had dinner reservations at the Fetch restaurant for Saturday night. Our server came right away to take our drink order but we did not see the drinks for at least 10 minutes after that. The food was good but not plentiful...smaller portion sizes which I guess is expected for a more fine dining atmosphere. The desserts were also delicious.
When it came time to check out, I wanted to pay with debit, but the machine was broken. The clerk did tell me I could use their ATM machine to withdraw the cash. I didn't think I would be able to get $700+ dollars from the bank machine (think most have $500 limits?) so I opted to pay with the CC. I asked where on the resort we could purchase some bottled water for the 4 hour drive back to Victoria, and they do not sell it at the resort. She mentioned I could use the pop machine to get some water, so I tried to do this and the machine didn't tell me it was sold out of water until after I put the money in, so when I pressed the refund button it gave it all back to me in nickels!!!! Not impressed!

Overall though, I would go back to this resort for the room and pool area alone. Honestly the rooms and views are incredible. I was not impressed with the restaurant service so would likely look to eat elsewhere in Ucluelet, as I feel we were paying top dollar and I expected the service to be much better.

Room Tip: Ask for an upper floor room...amazing views
Victoria, BC
Reviewed May 29, 2011

There are a lot of good things to say about the Black Rock. Definitely ask for an upper unit, they have high cathedral ceilings which makes them much nicer than the lower units. The one bedroom suites are very large and spacious with a huge bathroom. Has all the things you expect of a high class hotel and more. A very well planned out kitchen with lots of utensils and pots. Very nice decks that are well thought out as there is a corner of deck you can go to for privacy when the next door neighbours are out on their deck. Would be nice to have a chaise lounge though. The views are absolutely stunning.
A fewer minor problems. We went up with friends and even though we asked when we made the booking and asked again the night before to be close to each other, we ended up several buildings away which made things a little difficult when we were preparing meals together. There are mesh blinds in the bedroom which allow you to see the view but make it difficult to sleep once the sun is up so bring your sleep mask. Housekeeping was adequate where it was done but they didn't bother making the bed or tidying up the living room area.

Overall a lovely hotel with incredible views.

1 Thank ajtraveller007
Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed May 9, 2011

We just returned from a two night stay at the Black Rock Oceanfront Resort. The view of the ocean from the large windows was absolutely stunning. The bathroom was large - it had heated floors and a wonderful rainforest shower. The hotel staff was very friendly and helpful. We are looking forward to returning, hopefully for a much longer stay!! :)

Room Tip: If possible, ask to stay on an upper floor
1 Thank dsaleem
Also consider these accommodations in or near Ucluelet
Wickaninnish Inn and The Pointe Restaurant
Best Western Tin Wis Resort
Pacific Sands Beach Resort
Water's Edge Shoreside Suites
Brentwood Bay Resort & Spa
Brentwood Bay Resort & Spa
#1 of 4 in Central Saanich
Long Beach Lodge Resort

Been to Black Rock Oceanfront Resort? Share your experiences!