“Inconsistent - very good and very bad”

The Granite Room at the Discovery Lodge Hotel
Ranked #2 of 10 Restaurants in Iqaluit
Cuisines: Canadian
Good for: Business meetings, Families with children, Special occasions, Large groups
Dining options: Brunch, Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner, Private Dining, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Victoria, Canada
“Inconsistent - very good and very bad”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 24, 2014

Had two meals over the course of a week. The first was incredible; one of the best meals I've had. Perhaps it was the arctic char? The second meal was terrible. Ordered the steak and it was very overcooked and tough. So not sure whether to recommend or not; maybe it depends which chef is on that night.

The second night was with a large group (approx. 25). Although we had to preorder more than a week in advance, and were all there on time, it took an hour for the appetizers to be served. The entire meal took more than two hours. They also did not accommodate allergies and dietary restrictions of which they were advised at least a week in advance.

The only consistency was the service which was almost comically hostile and rude both nights (same server).

• Visited June 2014
the_Discovery, General Manager at The Granite Room at the Discovery Lodge Hotel, responded to this review, July 31, 2014
Good Afternoon,
I would like to thank you for your comments, it’s only when we receive such feedback from our customers are we able to rectify and improve your dining experience.
It’s unfortunate to hear that you had a bad experience in The Granite Room. I would love the opportunity to further discuss these issues with you. Information like time and day that you were here will allow me to further investigate and ensure that this does not happen again.
In reference to your specific comments, when pre ordering for a large group it is common for the meal to take upwards of one to two hours as it is a three course meal including appetizer, main course, and dessert. Often we will allow a little time after seating for the group to drink Wine or the beverage of choice and talk before the appetizer is served it is part of the dining experience, however, I do agree waiting an hour for an appetizer is a little excessive and this issue will be addressed. I personally organize functions for large groups such as your meal for 25. Any time there are dietary restrictions relayed to me I personally see to it that the dining room staff are well aware of what is required for any guest whom has special dietary needs, so I was surprised to learn that such restrictions weren't adhered to. I take dietary restrictions very seriously and make sure they are addressed. If you would be so kind to identify which event this was so I may take appropriate actions to ensure all future dietary needs are met it would be greatly appreciated. Finally, relaying the information of context and which server was “comically hostile and rude” will immensely help me to ensure that such conduct will be avoided in the future.
I am hoping that you are willing to give The Granite Room another chance as we do our best to offer the best food and guest experience possible.

Mike Cassell

the Discovery - Iqaluit's Boutique Hotel
Iqaluit, Nunavut X0A 0H0
Ph: (867) 979-4433
Cell: (867) 222-3934
Fx: (867) 979-6591
Email: gm@thediscoveryiqaluit.com

Trenton, Canada
“Fine dining option in Iqaluit”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 10, 2014

Hands down the best food in Iqaluit, though you will pay for it. This restaurant is similar to a fine dining experience in Southern Canada, and prices are comparable. A dinner entree rings in around $50-60 and the lunches are about half. The food and service are very good but, as with most businesses in town, the staff rotate on contract.

I've eaten breakfast, lunch, and dinner at the Granite and it has always been enjoyable. The Sunday brunch buffet is spectacular. Recommend you try it at least once if it's in your budget.

• Visited March 2014
Toronto
“The Best Dining in Iqaluit”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 6, 2014

The Granite Room is the best place in Iqaluit to eat dinner and not surprisingly the most expensive. $350 for 4 including tax and tip is fairly standard.

My favourite dish here is the surf and tundra (char and caribou).

We've always had friendly service.

Keep up the good work, but you could attract many more diners if you lowered the price of entrees by about $10-15.

• Visited January 2014
Winnipeg, Canada
“Great food and a good choice in wine.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 22, 2013

The restaurant in the Discovery is delightful. Fine food, well served and superbly prepared.

While the restaurant is expensive, for the quality of food in the remote community of Iqaluit, one can't complain. It is certainly the best place to eat here. Interesting country foods, local char, caribou and sometimes muskox, with good daily specials; a fine rabbit dish on the night I visited.

The wine list is good, and offers variety.

It is pricey, but not much more than far worse experiences in Iqaluit; definitely worth the extra cost!

I have eaten there before and will certainly come again.

Visited October 2013
1 Thank MaxGlobetrotter
Dublin, Virginia, United States
“Pricey average food..”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 13, 2013 via mobile

This was my first trip to Iqaluit and this was my first meal during my stay. The restaurant was recently updated and it was very reminiscent of restaurants in Ottawa. The service was slow and our waitress was not very friendly. The menu was small but had good choices for lunch. I was aware of the high prices of food in general in Iqaluit but really? A clubhouse sandwich with fries and a coke $25+ dollars is outrageous! I at least would have expected the food to be hot!
The food is average, the service is less than average and the food prices are just really hard to swallow.

• Visited August 2013