“Going Further and Further Downhill”

Water's Edge Seafood & Steakhouse
Ranked #7 of 11 Restaurants in Iqaluit
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed March 6, 2014

I've eaten at the Waters Edge and the attached Kickin' Caribou about 10 times each. When the hotel was owned by Nova up until around 2012 the quality of the food at both was actually very good. Since then it has got increasingly bad with each visit. The final straw at the Waters Edge was a "baked" potato that must have been in the oven for 1 minute and at the Kickin' Caribou it was a hamburger and fries served at room temperature.

I can appreciate the kitchen being short staffed on 1 or 2 occasions but there seems to be constant issues.

I might return if I hear that things have improved. Until then I will go to the Storehouse, the Gallery, or the Granite Room.

There are newer reviews for Water's Edge Seafood & Steakhouse

Reviewed March 6, 2014

Very nice food and service from this downtown restaurant. The breakfast is particularly good and if you can look past the price tag, good value for the money. The setting and atmosphere are average but the staff is helpful and friendly and easy to talk to. I've had all meals in this restaurant and was never dissatisfied.

Reviewed November 24, 2013

Was always very pleased with the quality of food and service. A place for a quiet dinner or for business. The bar on the other side of the restaurant allows you to continue a nice evening with a different atmosphere.
Remember, it is the northern edge of Canada and food costs quite a bit more up there. In comparisons to other places around Iqaluit, I have always like this the best for quality. It does sometimes cost more but its worth the additional for what you receive in return.

1  Thank mike1iron
Reviewed June 9, 2013

I travel to Iqaluit a lot. Water's Edge is always OK, but the chefs turn over a lot, so what may be good one week will be awful the next. And often the service is indifferent. As well there are often various malfunctions in the kitchen,so many of the things on the menu are not available. They are not indifferent about their pricing though, prices are as high as the other restaurants in town. There are better places to eat in Iqaluit.

Reviewed June 7, 2013

Based on previous reviews, we kept our expectations in check, but we had our best meal in Iqaluit at the Water's Edge.

We went for dinner shortly after they opened at 5pm, and we had superb service by Doug. (Given previous reviews about sketchy service, we felt lucky to be served by someone who really hustled to serve.)

We skipped appetizers (who can afford them in Iqaluit?) and went straight to the main course. I ordered a maple char dish (can't recall the exact name), served with rice pilaf and grilled vegetables. My partner ordered Char & Chips. Both meals were portioned perfectly. The char & chips got a two-thumbs up rating, while I would give the maple char a very good - the char was done nicely and the vegetables were crisp. Rice pilaf, well, it's just there to soak up the sauce (which was delicious.)

Prices were on par with other establishments. We would go there again.