“Nice room, too hot”
Review of Frobisher Inn

Frobisher Inn
Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Iqaluit
Reviewed May 4, 2013

Although it was the end of April, and the temperatures outside were hovering around freezing, the room was too hot almost all the time. I was on the third floor and had a view of the bay. I did ask for a room with a view, but didn’t quite realize how hot it would get. Luckily, with the window open all night, I could sleep fine.

Actually, I had good sleeps as the bed is quite comfortable. Even the slippery bedspread didn’t bother me too much.

I did wish I had known that the restaurant would be closed for renovations during my stay. Although there was a bar on site, I prefer to eat healthier meals for dinner while travelling. Having to go out to another restaurant in the wind and rain wasn’t great – especially because I prefer walking and the Frobisher is up on the hill and not really close to anything else.

Room Tip: Apparently the rooms on the bay side on the second floor are not as hot.
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank DayleePaleta
GMFrobisherInn, General Manager at Frobisher Inn, responded to this reviewResponded May 7, 2013

Thank you very much for taking the time out of your day to write a review for the Frobisher Inn, its nice to hear the positive and negative feedback so we can improve. We sometimes do have issues with the heat, as the temperature can change so frequently in Iqaluit, that we cannot turn off the heat in the building until we know for sure the temperature outside will stay warm for a period of time, this causes the hotel to sometimes be too warm, but we thank you for your feedback. In regards to our restaurant, we apologize that you were inconvenienced, these renovations were needed so that we could service yourself and our guests better in the future. Thank you again for your comments, it is much appreciated

Reviewed April 27, 2013

Feels like a regular hotel down south. Convenient to have convenience store, coffee shop, bar and restaurant on site. Rooms were a bit tight but nice, with a desk. Not enough power outlets, making it awkward to use my laptop. Room service prices were very reasonable. No kitchens available - but would be my preferred choice when I don't need one.

Stayed: March 2013, traveled on business
GMFrobisherInn, General Manager at Frobisher Inn, responded to this reviewResponded April 30, 2013

Thank you very much for taking the time out of your day to write a review for the Frobisher Inn, its nice to hear the positive and negative feedback so we can improve. Thank you again for your comments, it is much appreciated

Reviewed April 1, 2013

I stay at the frobisher often for business and am always comfortable and feel secure. The room service is quick and very tasty. The staff is very helpful and friendly. I have stayed at other hotels in Iqaluit and this is my favorite.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled on business
GMFrobisherInn, General Manager at Frobisher Inn, responded to this reviewResponded April 4, 2013

Thank you very much for taking the time to write a review for the Frobisher Inn. We take pride in our staff training, and service, and keeping our guests safe and happy while here. Its nice to hear such positive feedback. I will ensure I pass this on to our staff. Thank you again for taking the time to write a review, it is much appreciated.

Reviewed March 30, 2013

Just stayed at this hotel and had a very good stay.
The staff is great and will try to make your stay comfortable.
They went above and beyond several times to assist us and all of the restaurant and bar staff made us feel welcome.
The rooms are clean and well kept, and I had a comfortable stay.

Room Tip: I prefer to have a room that overlooks the community rather than the parking lot.
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled on business
GMFrobisherInn, General Manager at Frobisher Inn, responded to this reviewResponded April 2, 2013

Thank you very much for taking the time to write a review for the Frobisher Inn. It seems that most like to write a review when something goes wrong with their stay, but its very refreshing to recieve a review from someone who had a favourable experince. We take pride in our training, and service, and we value your comments. I will ensure I pass this on to our staff. Thank you again for taking the time to write a review, it is much appreciated.

Reviewed March 20, 2013 via mobile

Certainly the closet to full service hotel in Iqaluit. And it's fine. But the service is slow and if something in the room doesn't work (microwave, tv etc) it ain't getting fixed. The location is poor except for the hospital. Better bet the Arctic. If you go ask for a room on a high floor.

• Stayed: March 2013
GMFrobisherInn, General Manager at Frobisher Inn, responded to this reviewResponded March 23, 2013

Thank you for taking the time to write a review, feedback is the only way we can improve our service and offerings. I will ensure followup is done, as to why your tv and microwave were not in working order, and not fixed. Thank you again for taking time to send us your comments.

Reviewed March 13, 2013

Overall this hotel is usually all right. The dining room makes good food with a northern twist, the rooms are certainly adequate even with the slightly dated slippery bed spreads...you know the kind. They are often understaffed at the front desk but have a nice coffee shop and let's face it supply and demand. The dining room and coffee shop servers were all polite and good.
The challenge came when a blizzard hit...tough for sure- some flights did not get in some did not get out. Hard on front desk staff and everyone as customers want to know of they have a place to sleep. Some customers were certainly unreasonable demanding to know if flights would get out and where their luggage was- all out of the hotels control.
We arrived early at noon and were told that check in was at 4. We tried at 4 and were told 5 ...at five we were told staff went home due to the blizzard so rooms were not ready...and we were told not very nicely- including being told how stressful it was for the staff person.
I asked did he need a coffee and was genuine in asking as I work in the industry and he said no he had one but no time to drink it. Finally we got our rooms ( we had been booked for a few weeks) at around 6 pm.
Each time you needed to speak to the front desk the very harried front desk gentleman whom I will not name was ruder and ruder. From the fact I had a plugged toilet to asking for the internet password.
The next day as we tried to check out I asked for assistance using their computers to print a boarding pass so I could get out of my room and free it up. The wireless barely works so thought that would be easiest. I could not check out till I printed the pass as the computer is in a locked room which requires your key. They kept telling me they needed me to get out of the room for the next guest- this was at 10:45 am.
The chef was passing by and tried to help- in fact said I will go get the front desk staff- I suggested that was a bad idea given my previous experiences. I steeled my self and headed out to the front desk- the chef asked have they come to help yet...no I said- and looked at the front desk man...who once again said "I don't have time for you." There was one person at the front desk a young lady who was also there the night before dealing with a conference group.
Enough- I had been treated rudely as was our group- all of whom were guests and tourists and potential influencers- all of whom accepted the poor service and rudeness trying to be understanding because of the storm.
I reminded the gentleman that while I could appreciate his stress that we as customers were paying for the privilege of dealing with his stress while he was being paid to deal with us and perhaps he should keep that in mind. He informed me then that sometimes he felt he was not paid enough - I said that may be true but again at least he was paid versus paying to be abused. The chef took my data key , apologized for his co worker and said he would print it in his office for me. He did- I went to check out and again was ignored and had to ask...will you print me a receipt..I am busy he said she can...nice!
Checked out and the front desk agent got his room back.
I have stayed here for business and brought colleagues not sure I will again or perhaps I should poke my head in and see who is working front desk!

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled on business
2  Thank Dee E
GMFrobisherInn, General Manager at Frobisher Inn, responded to this reviewResponded March 15, 2013

Thank you very much for taking the time to write a review for the Frobisher Inn. I apologize for you having such an unpleasant stay at our hotel, it is unacceptable to me for any guests to be treated like this, even in a stressful situation like a blizzard, it is no excuse. We take pride in our customer service, and I will be following up immediately on this with the Front Desk Manager, as well as the staff in question, and will take the appropriate actions. We take our guest comments very seriously and I will follow-up and insure this never happens again. I hope you will allow us the chance to welcome you back in the future, and I apologize for your stay. Thank you again for sending us a review.

Reviewed March 3, 2013

You don't go to Baffin Island for a luxury stay, and you have to keep this in mind when you are looking to find lodging in Iqaluit. The Frobisher inn is probably the best stay in town (though the others are pretty bad, at least during the times I've stayed in them). It's not as good as hotels down in the warm and toasty southern reaches of Canada, but for northern Canada its acceptable by a large margin.

The staff were friendly and spoke fluent English. Cannot verify their French fluency (didn't bother speaking it because many places in iqaluit do not) the rooms themselves were small and felt a little bare but were warm and well insulated from the harsh weather outside.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled on business
GMFrobisherInn, General Manager at Frobisher Inn, responded to this reviewResponded March 5, 2013

Thank you very much for taking the time to fill out a review, your feedback is appreciated.

Been to Frobisher Inn? Share your experiences!