“Decent Hotel for Northern travellers.” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Frobisher Inn

and 1 more site!
Frobisher Inn
Ranked #2 of 4 Hotels in Iqaluit
“Decent Hotel for Northern travellers.”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 30, 2013

Just stayed at this hotel and had a very good stay.
The staff is great and will try to make your stay comfortable.
They went above and beyond several times to assist us and all of the restaurant and bar staff made us feel welcome.
The rooms are clean and well kept, and I had a comfortable stay.

Room Tip: I prefer to have a room that overlooks the community rather than the parking lot.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
GMFrobisherInn, General Manager at Frobisher Inn, responded to this review, April 2, 2013
Thank you very much for taking the time to write a review for the Frobisher Inn. It seems that most like to write a review when something goes wrong with their stay, but its very refreshing to recieve a review from someone who had a favourable experince. We take pride in our training, and service, and we value your comments. I will ensure I pass this on to our staff. Thank you again for taking the time to write a review, it is much appreciated.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (34)
Vancouver, Canada
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 20, 2013 via mobile

Certainly the closet to full service hotel in Iqaluit. And it's fine. But the service is slow and if something in the room doesn't work (microwave, tv etc) it ain't getting fixed. The location is poor except for the hospital. Better bet the Arctic. If you go ask for a room on a high floor.

• Stayed March 2013
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
GMFrobisherInn, General Manager at Frobisher Inn, responded to this review, March 23, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to write a review, feedback is the only way we can improve our service and offerings. I will ensure followup is done, as to why your tv and microwave were not in working order, and not fixed. Thank you again for taking time to send us your comments.
Charlottetown, Canada
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 13, 2013

Overall this hotel is usually all right. The dining room makes good food with a northern twist, the rooms are certainly adequate even with the slightly dated slippery bed spreads...you know the kind. They are often understaffed at the front desk but have a nice coffee shop and let's face it supply and demand. The dining room and coffee shop servers were all polite and good.
The challenge came when a blizzard hit...tough for sure- some flights did not get in some did not get out. Hard on front desk staff and everyone as customers want to know of they have a place to sleep. Some customers were certainly unreasonable demanding to know if flights would get out and where their luggage was- all out of the hotels control.
We arrived early at noon and were told that check in was at 4. We tried at 4 and were told 5 ...at five we were told staff went home due to the blizzard so rooms were not ready...and we were told not very nicely- including being told how stressful it was for the staff person.
I asked did he need a coffee and was genuine in asking as I work in the industry and he said no he had one but no time to drink it. Finally we got our rooms ( we had been booked for a few weeks) at around 6 pm.
Each time you needed to speak to the front desk the very harried front desk gentleman whom I will not name was ruder and ruder. From the fact I had a plugged toilet to asking for the internet password.
The next day as we tried to check out I asked for assistance using their computers to print a boarding pass so I could get out of my room and free it up. The wireless barely works so thought that would be easiest. I could not check out till I printed the pass as the computer is in a locked room which requires your key. They kept telling me they needed me to get out of the room for the next guest- this was at 10:45 am.
The chef was passing by and tried to help- in fact said I will go get the front desk staff- I suggested that was a bad idea given my previous experiences. I steeled my self and headed out to the front desk- the chef asked have they come to help yet...no I said- and looked at the front desk man...who once again said "I don't have time for you." There was one person at the front desk a young lady who was also there the night before dealing with a conference group.
Enough- I had been treated rudely as was our group- all of whom were guests and tourists and potential influencers- all of whom accepted the poor service and rudeness trying to be understanding because of the storm.
I reminded the gentleman that while I could appreciate his stress that we as customers were paying for the privilege of dealing with his stress while he was being paid to deal with us and perhaps he should keep that in mind. He informed me then that sometimes he felt he was not paid enough - I said that may be true but again at least he was paid versus paying to be abused. The chef took my data key , apologized for his co worker and said he would print it in his office for me. He did- I went to check out and again was ignored and had to ask...will you print me a receipt..I am busy he said she can...nice!
Checked out and the front desk agent got his room back.
I have stayed here for business and brought colleagues not sure I will again or perhaps I should poke my head in and see who is working front desk!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
2 Thank Dee E
GMFrobisherInn, General Manager at Frobisher Inn, responded to this review, March 15, 2013
Thank you very much for taking the time to write a review for the Frobisher Inn. I apologize for you having such an unpleasant stay at our hotel, it is unacceptable to me for any guests to be treated like this, even in a stressful situation like a blizzard, it is no excuse. We take pride in our customer service, and I will be following up immediately on this with the Front Desk Manager, as well as the staff in question, and will take the appropriate actions. We take our guest comments very seriously and I will follow-up and insure this never happens again. I hope you will allow us the chance to welcome you back in the future, and I apologize for your stay. Thank you again for sending us a review.

Travelers are raving about these Iqaluit hotels

Quebec City
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 3, 2013

You don't go to Baffin Island for a luxury stay, and you have to keep this in mind when you are looking to find lodging in Iqaluit. The Frobisher inn is probably the best stay in town (though the others are pretty bad, at least during the times I've stayed in them). It's not as good as hotels down in the warm and toasty southern reaches of Canada, but for northern Canada its acceptable by a large margin.

The staff were friendly and spoke fluent English. Cannot verify their French fluency (didn't bother speaking it because many places in iqaluit do not) the rooms themselves were small and felt a little bare but were warm and well insulated from the harsh weather outside.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
GMFrobisherInn, General Manager at Frobisher Inn, responded to this review, March 5, 2013
Thank you very much for taking the time to fill out a review, your feedback is appreciated.
Hamilton, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 28, 2012

A group of 4 were at the Frobisher Inn for 5 nights - the staff were friendly and accommodating. The rooms were clean and warm. The in house restaurants (Gallery and Pub) were handy and staff and food were great. The carvers that came to restaurant to offer their handiwork were pleasant and not aggressive. Some good deals can be had. The coffee shop and convenience store within the hotel provided lots of choices. the internet was patchy and downloads were challenging. Not sure that this is the hotel or the general service in north. The hotel is close to the local college campus and hospital but it is a walk if you are not dressed for the weather. A cab anywhere is $7 per person. A fun experience

• Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
GMFrobisherInn, General Manager at Frobisher Inn, responded to this review, January 4, 2013
Thank you very much for taking the time to write a review on our hotel..whether negative or positive we appreciate the feedback.
Cape Dorset, Canada
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 7, 2012

Room ceiling leaked. Manager was rude and abrasive, not only unhelpful but down right threatening. I was there on medical leave (medical transport takes care of accomodations) and the manager continually threatened me with having to sleep out in the cold if I didn't get things straightened out. Most desk staff was concdescending and argumentative. I had adjusted my reservation for an earlier date by phone, and when I arrived, front desk staff and the manager essentially called me a liar (although the girl at the counter oddly sounded like the one I spoke to on the phone). Heat was not adequate, and when I spoke about it, at one point I was told "Well, you shoudn't have moved to the north." With everything I had to deal with medically, this was the worst case of "hospitality management" I have ever had to deal with

Room Tip: Go to the Nova, or anywhere else for that matter.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
2 Thank Proud_NS_parent
GMFrobisherInn, General Manager at Frobisher Inn, responded to this review, December 9, 2012
Thank you very much for taking the time to write a review for the Frobisher Inn. I apologize for you having such an unpleasant stay at our hotel, it is unacceptable to me for any guests to be treated like this, and not to mention, by a member of my "management" team. In saying this, I will be following up immediately on this, and will take the appropriate actions. I would appreciate getting more details from you in regards to your stay, and would appreciate the chance to talk to you if you would allow me. My email is gm@frobisherinn.com, or you can contact me directly at the hotel. We take our guest comments very seriously and I will follow-up and insure this never happens again. I hope you will allow me the chance to talk to you further on this, and I apologize for your stay. Thank you again for sending us a review.
Chatham, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 11, 2012

A great base for my week in Iqaluit.

Internet access seems to be a problem throughout Iqaluit. Sometimes it worked very well, other times it didn't work at all.

The staff was very friendly and accommodating.

Fitness facilities were surprisingly good. Everything was clean and looked brand new.

Room Tip: Ask for a view of the Bay.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
GMFrobisherInn, General Manager at Frobisher Inn, responded to this review, October 13, 2012
Thank you so much for taking the time to comment on our hotel...We are glad you enjoyed your stay. Thank you for your feedback, we are always looking for ways to improve and are currently looking into improving our internet service. We hope we can welcome you back again soon.