“Good stay”

Ranked #2 of 4 Hotels in Iqaluit
East Coast Canada
“Good stay”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 23, 2012

I stayed in this hotel for 3 nights in August 2012. I was a little apprehensive of what might be available for accommodations and services in northern Canada, but I was pleasantly surprised. The bed was comfortable, the room was clean and everything was more or less in good working order (couple of minor issues - nothing serious). The hotel was not "downtown" but the town is small enough that it is a relatively easy walk to wherever you are going. The prices are high, but seem normal for the North. The wifi and business centre computers are super slow at the hotel, however I understand this is typical. I had a special request and the front desk clerk really helped me out - which I appreciated! I did find it a little odd that there was no peep hole in my door to the hallway and no security chain/bar on the door of my room. There was a lock on the room door though. Because of this and what I had read on Trip Advisor previously, I put a chair in front of the door at night - probably no real need to do that though it made me feel better . In fact, I had no issues with security. The walls to the rooms are really thin - if someone moves a metal clothes hanger in the room next door or turns on the TV you can hear it through the walls. You can also hear everything in the hallways. The temperature controls for the room seemed rather erratic: one night too cold and the next 2 nights it was too hot! Although I brought pants and a sping coat I still did not bring enough warm clothes for August in the Canadian North! Overall the stay was comfortable and better than expected. It seemed to be one of the nicer hotels available in town and I would definitely return here again if I was in Iqaluit.

Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
GMFrobisherInn, General Manager at Frobisher Inn, responded to this review, August 26, 2012
Thank you very much for taking the time to write a review..I will pass on your comments to our maintenance dept. in regards to the heating, and room temperature. Thank you for sharing your positive experience about the Front Desk and Hotel as a whole, we look forward to seeing you on your next visit.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (34)
Montreal, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 14, 2012

We only stayed one night after flying in from Resolute Bay. and were greeted by super friendly staff.
Rooms are very nicely appointed and the beds are comfortable. The Frobisher is situated in an excellent location. Restaurant is great but expect very high prices as just about all food is brought in from the South. However, there is a moderately priced grill on the main level which is a good bet for those looking for good food without breaking the bank. The hotel also offers a free shuttle to and from the airport.
Our only complaint is that despite the heating being turned off, the room was unbearably hot and we couldn't sleep. We then discovered that a small window hidden behind the drapery could have been opened.

Room Tip: Another guest asked for a smoking room. Big mistake as it overlooked a low roof and parking lot. Avo...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank McGill_Tripper
Thank you so much for your review, we appreciate guests like yourself taking the time to give us feedback...this is the only way we can improve. Thank you.
UK
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 3, 2012

We needed four rooms, and this was the only hotel in town that could do that on the day we needed. Compared to mainstream Canadian or US hotels it is very tired with slowish internet. The food is OK and the bar quite local. Have also tried the Discovery Inn which had slightly better internet, much smaller rooms but a lower rate.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
GM F, General Manager at Frobisher Inn, responded to this review, August 6, 2012
Thank you for your review!
Calgary
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 22, 2012

I recently traveled to Iqaluit on business for the first time and I was pleasantly surprised by the quality of accommodation and service.

My room overlooked the town, it was clean and had all the amenities I needed.

The staff at the front desk were very helpful directing me to the government offices I needed to go to in town and I found all staff to be very helpful.

Their restaurant was the highlight of my trip, the food was totally awesome, the presentations were out of this world and I did not expect this in a remote location like this.

The food at the lobby café was as good as in the restaurant, it looked so fresh and tasted so yummy.

Did not frequent the Bar but I am told Wednesday evenings is a must when visiting Iqaluit, apparently the whole town is gathering there for Chicken Wings.

I would recommend to stay here, a very pleasant little hotel with all the amenities a traveler needs.

Room Tip: Ask for a room overlooking the town
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
, General Manager at Frobisher Inn, responded to this review, June 26, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to comment on your stay with us, we appreciate the wonderful comments, they will be shared with the staff.
Ottawa
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 19, 2012 via mobile

My partner stayed at the Frobisher Inn recently for business. All went well until the last night. She awoke in the night to find a man standing at the foot of her bed. She lept up screaming for the man to leave, which he did quickly. After gathering herself she called the front desk, wondering if perhaps the Inn had given her room to another guest. She was initially told by the font desk receptionist, no, of course not, then after a moment the receptionisst informed her that security had been doing "room checks". She found this unacceptable of course why would a male security guard come into a locked guest room, in the dark, then run when challenged.
Since the episode she has written the hotel twice, requesting an explanation and weeks later they have not responded. We intend to follow up with the local RCMP detachment. This is definitely not a safe place for women to stay.

Stayed May 2012, traveled on business
7 Thank John B
, General Manager at Frobisher Inn, responded to this review, June 21, 2012
Thank you so much for taking the time to comment on your partners stay at the Frobisher Inn.
Please be assured that safety and security of our guests is one of our number one priorities.
In saying that, sometimes mistakes happen, and in this case after investigating, I found out that our security guard was checking vacant rooms, and entered your partners room by mistake. He was so startled by seeing someone he just ran off. It is very unfortunate that this happened, and I cannot begin to imagine how your partner felt. We take this very seriously, and rest assured this is definitely not a common occurrence. In response to writing the hotel, unfortunately I have had no emails, calls, or letters come across my desk or I would have surely responded. We value the safety and security of our guests and this would have not gone responded to. Again we apologize for this happening to your partner and hope we can welcome her back next time she is in Iqaluit and allow us to prove how safe the Frobisher Inn really is.

Travelers are raving about these Iqaluit hotels

Paris, France
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 9, 2012

This hotel is a hub for many community things such as the pool and the movie theatre as well as being one of the Iqaluit's main business hotels.
It is not the cheapest in town but the beds are comfortable and the staff get the job done.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled on business
GM F, General Manager at Frobisher Inn, responded to this review, June 11, 2012
Thank you very much for taking the time to write a comment about the Frobisher Inn. We look forward to your next stay with us.
Yellowknife
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 7, 2012

Clean, comfortable, safe. Housekeeping staff go the extra distance to make the rooms look fancy. Front desk staff are courteous and generally helpful.

Local calls cost $1 - this is annoying.
Checkout time is 11am -- too early.
Airport shuttle is rarely available.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled on business
GM F, General Manager at Frobisher Inn, responded to this review, June 11, 2012
We appreciate your comments, and we use them all, good or bad to improve our guests experience at the Frobisher Inn. We hope we can welcome you back soon.