“The Nova AKA The Arctic Hotel”
Review of Hotel Arctic

Hotel Arctic
Ranked #1 of 4 Hotels in Iqaluit
Iqaluit, Canada
“The Nova AKA The Arctic Hotel”
Reviewed December 6, 2012

As others have mentioned, this hotel is now called the Arctic Hotel but locals continue to refer to it as "The Nova".

When I moved to Iqaluit for work, my apartment wasn't ready so I was put up at The Nova for 8 days. The front desk staff were friendly when I arrived. My one complaint is that I had nine bags and bins with me (since I had just moved to town) and there was no one to help me get it all to my room. There were luggage carts available however, and I managed to get it all to the 4th floor in two trips (on the elevator of course!)

My room was an average hotel room, clean, nothing fancy. It included a queen size bed, desk & chair, comfortable chair by the window, 6-drawer dresser, older style TV, large closet, bathroom and small kitchenette (with mini-fridge, toaster, kettle, microwave). The kitchenette was key for me as I was able to keep some food in my room and, with a little creativity, make a few small meals. Eating out can be quite expensive in Iqaluit.

I had my room cleaned every couple of days and found that only very basic things were done. When I left 8 days later, my room was getting quite a layer of dust and the tile part of the floor was never swept. Things like tissue boxes and items for making tea/coffee weren't refilled unless I specifically requested it.

The Nova is very central. It's within walking distance of the major grocery stores, the post office, movie theatre, other restaurants, etc. On the main floor there is a restaurant, Water's Edge, and a pub, Kickin' Caribou. I went to the pub on several occasions and found the food to be very good. It's usually busy and local crafters/carvers are often around selling their wares. Eating there provides a good opportunity to pick up a local gift or souvenir. The downside of this is that there is often a group of people smoking outside the main doors of the hotel (despite signs saying not to do this).

A few items of note:
There is a small gym located on the 4th floor. Laundry service is not available at this hotel but apparently you can take your laundry across the street to their sister hotel, Capital Suites. There is satellite TV in your room and free wireless internet available.

Liked best: central location, restaurants located on main floor, free wireless internet, nice view from my 4th floor room on the front of the hotel
Liked least: could be cleaner, no laundry service in hotel, smokers at main doors

• Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
4 Thank GoneToSeeTheWorld

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (16)
Athens, Greece
Reviewed June 11, 2012

It is a pleasant surprise to find in this part of the world so eficient hotel. The rooms are big , the staff friendly and the location unbeatable.Free internet. (the 5 stars hotels around th world must take a lesson as still charging 15 USD for internet) The name though in the entrance says ARCTIC HOTEL and i was arguing with the taxi driver if he took me in wrong hotel!! But no. Both names Nova Inn and Arctic appear in various ocations . The result is a very good hotel. And yes even in a small town of 8000 people there are some hotels who are more central than the others.

Room Tip: The rooms are quiter in the rear
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled solo
4 Thank BIZAS
Ottawa, Canada
Reviewed October 11, 2011

I esently decided to go on my first solo trip just to get away for a week. I chose to go to Inuvik. Aftersearching around I found Nova Inn to be the cheepest place there so I choose to book it. I wasnt sure what I was getting my self in to and going I was kind of nervous. But after I got there I was amased it was beautiful, the rooms were very nice and the bed was very comfortable. The staff were also excelent they were so helpful and kind. An the breakfast was just yummi so many options and so much I was full for sure. I would deffently go back if I was ever in the area again.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled solo
4 Thank brittney p
New Brunswick
Reviewed August 25, 2011

Stayed two nights while on a business-related trip to Iqaluit. Room was much larger and more comfortable than I expected. Microwave and mini fridge in the room. TV with sattelite so lots of channel choices. Main floor bar had a musician playing in the evening and seemed to be busy but not at all uncomfortable. All my meals were as part of a pre-arranged group buffet - not spectacular but very decent. Checked out meal prices in the restaurant - be prepared for sticker shock!

I had been forewarned that local artisans would come through the public areas selling their wares. Prints, jewellery, carvings, etc. I enjoyed meeting them, seeing what they had to offer, talking about the items and ultimately purchased two beautiful soapstone carvings that will be cherished momentos of my trip to Nunavut. Bartering is the norm - I paid approx 60% of the initial proposed price.

Hope to go back to the North again and would gladly stay again at the Nova.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled on business
5 Thank FBP60
Salem, Oregon
Reviewed July 4, 2011

I've stayed at the Nova twice, once in winter, now in summer. The rooms are very nice, large enough and comfortable beds. Very nice area with fridge, microwave and cupboards with dishes etc which was very convenient and useful. Loved it.
Located across the street from the Legislature building (Iqaluit is the capitol of Nunavut) so I was able to sit in on some of the sessions during winter. You can walk anywhere in town, but if it's winter, too cold to walk too far, and the cabs are busy for $6.00 per person.
Food was good and well prepared but nothing is inexpensive. If you get a chance, try the muktuk (whale blubber) and Caribou.
Not much shopping or tourist attractions. Local artists will come to your table to sell their works, and you can bargain, but be prepared to pay cash. (ATM's everywhere). Winter snow and darkness was awesome. Summer dirt and rock, not so much. The people are very friendly and genuine.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled on business
8 Thank Debimlee
Reviewed May 12, 2011

You know when you arrive with luggage at front desk on an island, you expect hi welcome you have a reservation? Well here this idiot greets you with a stare and you have to greet yourself. Doesn't know long distance rate but you will know when you check out. Arrive at 2 and not a room ready. Some staff were good others not. Restaurant was excellent but lots of caribou yet none in stock.

Service sucked at $190 a night blow. Colleage said try capital suites, the rooms are quiet and safe. Will see.

• Stayed March 2011
6 Thank Rockcanada
South East UK
Reviewed May 4, 2011

Stayed just overnight passing thru Iqaluit. Actually I arrived at 0130hrs and just about everywhere was shut up but the Nova welcomed me, despite having no reservation (not a recommended tactic for Iqaluit).

Not too far from the airport, maybe 10 mins walk. Straight down the road from the airport, past the Navigator Inn on the left, which I reviewed a while back, and left at the next main intersection. It was snowing but only -2C, which is balmy for Iqaluit. Don't try walking this in January; take a taxi at $6 (to anywhere).

Room was large with 2 beds, so way in excess of requirements. Clean and well furnished. Bathroom clean and tidy with plenty towels. Fridge (which I never use) I thought noisy so I turned it off as the compressor noise usually disturbs my sleep. Was rewarded by the sound of defrosting ice chunks falling about 4 hours later, so I got woken up anyway. Do hotels ever defrost their fridges ? Given the time of my arrival, the hotel was very quiet and stayed so, apart from the fridge.

Breakfast (costs extra) was a choice of set menus on a bacon and eggs sort of theme. The food was good and I dined totally alone in the attractive restaurant at 0730 hrs.

Thus fortified, I trudged off back to the airport once more. It was still snowing. It seems to be always winter in Iqaluit !

Overall, a most satisfactory, if short, stay. But as the other reviewer below says, everything is VERY expensive in Iqaluit. Different sort of place though.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled on business