“Lovely 3 days”
Review of The Portway Inn

and 1 more site!
The Portway Inn
Reviewed March 7, 2011

We stayed with friends for 3 days and enjoyed every minute. The weather was cold so the manageress put 4 chairs round the log fire and we had delicious dinners at a table near the fire. The inn is a lovely old building with lots of wood and beams. The food was superb and the staff were really friendly.
The location is convenient for Hay on Wye (bookshops wherever you turn) and Hereford. Ledbury's not too far away and well worth a visit.
Excellent value and well recommended.

• Stayed: February 2011, traveled with friends
There are newer reviews for The Portway Inn

Reviewed November 18, 2010

We stayed at the hotel for 3 nights and had a wonderful time. The hotel is situated in a beautiful area with many attractions for the visitor even in late Autumn. The owner was very friendly and the room was spacious and comfortable. The breakfast was excellent and evening meals were also good. We would definitely recommend this hotel to other travellers.

• Stayed: November 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 21, 2010

I'm not really fund of having weekend in country side.I always thought it's the most boring idea,but friends encouraged me to come along to have a quiet weekend out of the city and I was really surprised with how cosy the place was.It's very quiet and the room we stayed in was clean and lovely.What I enjoyed most was the food,I can say its superb and well recommended. And the staffs was nice and friendly too,always ready to help us with our needs..What a relaxing weekend i had in portway inn.Very affordale too.

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled with friends
Reviewed October 19, 2010

Portway Inn staffs are very friendly and attentive to your needs.
The room is so spacious and I had very relaxing and good night sleep.
The hotel is in nice location where you can enjoy the walks and views.
I really recommend this hotel to enjoy Hereford

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled with friends
Reviewed October 19, 2010

This place more than meet our expectations, especially for the price. Staff were very friendly, the owner went out of his way to make sure we enjoyed our stay, giving us loads of tips about what to see in the area. The big suprise was the restaurant. Food was excellent and realy affordable. We were delighted they had Herefordshire wine on their list.

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 1, 2010

Upon arrival we could not get in. We waited 10 minutes and some other guests arrived who had a key and let us into the lounge. After another 15 minutes, the chef arrived and (nicely) told us that he couldn't help us as he only started three days ago. Another 10 minutes and the manageress turned up.

To be fair, the mangeress was polite, helpful and efficient. However, this was the best bit. The corridors smelt very strongly of air-fresheners which makes one wonder what they are trying to hide. My mothers room had a mattress with the springs showing through. She refused the room and was moved to another which had an undulating floor but was otherwise okay.

Our bedroom was okay except for the bathroom which redefined cramp. The sink was small. As I stood there washing my hands I noted that both of my shoulders were touching the respective wall. I am 5' 4". I have no idea how a large man would manage without standing sideways.

Both my children and our bedroom had several spiders living there rent free. There were cobwebs also. It was 'clean' if you ignored these but whilst refurbished, one got the impression that they were spending money on the wrong things rather than making the rooms simple and CLEAN.

For breakfast we had a 'range of cereals' (3) and a 'selection of juices' (2). The grapefruit juice was watered down. The service was slow but polite and I genuinely think that they are trying to do their best. But frankly, it isn't good enough.

Although our mattress was better than my mothers, I could feel the springs through it and if the floor had been cleaner, I would have slept on that.

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled with family
DarrenRawcliffe, Owner at The Portway Inn, responded to this reviewResponded October 19, 2010

It was unfortunate that the Alferts arrived outside of the check-in times stated on our website, confirmation letters and during booking calls. We do ask guests to let us know if they plan to arrive outside of standard check-in times so that we can organize to be here for them, but the Alfert's did not inform us. We have recently started a programme of pre-arrival calls to try to counter this problem.

The comments on our cleanliness are very unusual. I give hotel cleanliness the highest importance and invest heavily in our housekeeping team; consequently we score an average of 8.5 out of 10 for cleanliness from the 107 customer reviews posted about us on booking.com. The rooms are checked daily for cobwebs (always a problem in a country inn like ours) but it is always possible that an isolated web can appear between the morning when the room is serviced and the evening. However, it is impossible that the room could be full of cobwebs, as implied by the review. Also, I am surprised to see the comment about the floor, as the carpet in the reviewer's room was new at the start of the summer and is thoroughly cleaned between guest stays.

I also note that the reviewer's bed, which is the subject of further complaint, is only 8 months old and no other customer has ever expressed any dissatisfaction about it. However, I am glad to get this feedback so I can investigate immediately.

Darren Rawcliffe

Reviewed August 4, 2010

Stayed here for 2 nights in july 2010. We paid 100 for two of us which included breakfast.
The inn is 16th century and situated on the a438 hereford to brecon road. Its beautuiful. The current manager is refurbing it and has got the whole process down to a fine art. The rooms are full of charcter coupled with up to date modern appliances. All are very clean and comfortable. All food is local and cooked to order, reasonably priced and delicious. Prior to us arriving we recieved a letter from management explaining all about the inn and what to expect. I was very impressed. I have stayed in many places and here will be a favourite. We are going back next year as we are royal welsh fans and its only a 30 min drive from builth wells. 15 mins from hereford. If you ever have the chance to stay here please do. Well done to all who run here, you have it right. keep up the good work. And thankyou for a pleasurable stay.

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled as a couple
#1 of 1 in Winforton
Red Lion Hotel
Red Lion Hotel
#1 of 4 in Bredwardine

Been to The Portway Inn? Share your experiences!